BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast

Mporium BMW

12-10-2017, 11:35 AM   #1
ConceptE92
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Help! Moving From Miami To Atl

Hello fellow M3 Community! Like the title says I am finally moving from Miami to Atlanta, GA. After long back and forth, I have finally decided to pack up and get going.

Having said that, I am looking for your input in terms of Indy shops and possible meets. On another note, a more important thing is the actual strictness in terms of registration of the my vehicles.

How hard is it registering an out of state vehicle that has no Cats? My M3 and my R56 mini coop neither one of them has catalytic converters so I am a bit worried about that. Are there any specific counties that are more lenient than others?

Also, do you need to do a vehicle inspection each year whenever you renew the tag or how does it work, can I just pay it online and have them mail me a sticker?

I plan to live in Marietta for now my first year which is Cobb County I believe so more than likely this is the county where I will register the cars.

Also looking for a possible storage.

Please chime in and let me know, I would appreciate anyones input,

Thank you in advance!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 04:04 PM   #2
sc30317
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e93 M3

Welcome to Atlanta! They have less strict emissions requirements outside of the city. No emissions test needed, just registration outside of the city (which you can do online after your first time). Not sure what you mean by storage, a place to store your car?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 08:15 PM   #3
ConceptE92
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc30317 View Post
Welcome to Atlanta! They have less strict emissions requirements outside of the city. No emissions test needed, just registration outside of the city (which you can do online after your first time). Not sure what you mean by storage, a place to store your car?
awesome! What counties are usually better than others? I plan to either stay in Sandy Springs or Marietta, so Cobb County I imagine.

In terms of storage, I am moving from my home that I own now here in Homestead to an apt there, so I will need a place to store some of of my things from the house. Any ideas are welcome,

Thank you again!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 10:02 PM   #4
leng-f82
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Raptor & 2011 AW E92 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConceptE92 View Post
Hello fellow M3 Community! Like the title says I am finally moving from Miami to Atlanta, GA. After long back and forth, I have finally decided to pack up and get going.

Having said that, I am looking for your input in terms of Indy shops and possible meets. On another note, a more important thing is the actual strictness in terms of registration of the my vehicles.

How hard is it registering an out of state vehicle that has no Cats? My M3 and my R56 mini coop neither one of them has catalytic converters so I am a bit worried about that. Are there any specific counties that are more lenient than others?

Also, do you need to do a vehicle inspection each year whenever you renew the tag or how does it work, can I just pay it online and have them mail me a sticker?

I plan to live in Marietta for now my first year which is Cobb County I believe so more than likely this is the county where I will register the cars.

Also looking for a possible storage.

Please chime in and let me know, I would appreciate anyones input,

Thank you in advance!
Welcome to Atlanta.I live in Kennesaw which is North/west Cobb county and also one of the safiest city in Georgia as far as crime rate. Cobb County is a great place and I love it. As far as emission goes you must have cats or find an emmission place that doesn't do a visual test which meaning sticking a mirror under your car and look for cats. With that being said as long as you don't have a CEL on you should be fine. Also if you have Facebook you should join the group MATLANTA.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 09:03 AM   #5
ConceptE92
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng-f82 View Post
Welcome to Atlanta.I live in Kennesaw which is North/west Cobb county and also one of the safiest city in Georgia as far as crime rate. Cobb County is a great place and I love it. As far as emission goes you must have cats or find an emmission place that doesn't do a visual test which meaning sticking a mirror under your car and look for cats. With that being said as long as you don't have a CEL on you should be fine. Also if you have Facebook you should join the group MATLANTA.
thank you for the reply and the great info. Which places are the ones that usually dont check or stick the mirror underneath? Any suggestions? please let me know...
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 09:10 AM   #6
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConceptE92 View Post
awesome! What counties are usually better than others? I plan to either stay in Sandy Springs or Marietta, so Cobb County I imagine.

In terms of storage, I am moving from my home that I own now here in Homestead to an apt there, so I will need a place to store some of of my things from the house. Any ideas are welcome,

Thank you again!
By outside the city he means outside the Metro Atlanta Counties. So suburbs like Marietta and Sandy Springs have the same emissions as Fulton.

The best place to get an oil change is Bimmers Service Center in Roswell. $135 for M Atlanta members. They do great general work as well.

Alex Auto Is another good shop in Roswell for general maintenance and repairs.

Techika is also in the area and has done rod bearings on many cars.

For mod type work I use a tech from United BMW on the side. Great work and cheap. Cant beat it.

There are tons of self storage places around so that shouldn't be a problem. Also most apartment complexes have garages to rent.

The M Atlanta group meets weekly on Thursday nights and has other random events.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 07:19 PM   #7
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
You will need to get further north/east/south/west from Atlanta proper to avoid emissions testing. My car is registered in Jackson county with no emissions testing for example. If I'm not mistaken population density of the county is what dictates whether emissions are required or not. I'm not sure what that number is to break the threshold, however.

Regardless, there are 159 counties in Georgia, and only 13 require emissions testing (Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, Coweta, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Forsyth, Fulton, Gwinnett, Henry, Paulding and Rockdale County). With my previous comment regarding population density, this also gives you some insight on where the majority of people live.

The majority of apartments offer garages or storage units.

dmk08 What info can you give on M Atlanta? I don't hop on Facebook and this is the first I've heard of it.
Appreciate 0