BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

11-25-2011, 09:00 PM   #23
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahzari View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by piloto View Post
Why would you want to rev an engine that is not under load in a tunnel? Yeah, it sounds good, sure, but it sounds WAAAAY better while under load. So DCT or 6MT, as another poster said above, slow down going into the tunnel, grab 2nd gear, got to WOT, and shift at redline.
I'm with him. I put my car in second gear and floor it until redline, in fact, driving under a tunnel is one of my favorite parts about having this car
Lower wacker drive in Chicago - especially if you get a red light - start in first - WOT to a redline shift into second - unforgetable - ESP top-down in a vert!!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 05:53 AM   #24
DaHandBanana
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicname View Post
Last noob question I always see WOT... What does this stand for ??
Ahhh me too haha. But I got it now
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 07:55 AM   #25
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
Lower wacker drive in Chicago - especially if you get a red light - start in first - WOT to a redline shift into second - unforgetable - ESP top-down in a vert!!
If you do this .... man I feel sorry for your engine .... just saying.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 02:41 PM   #26
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Agree with the prior comments on loaded vs. unloaded engine. However, the way to get a M-DCT car into neutral when moving is to push, and hold for a second or so, the shift lever to the left.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 02:45 PM   #27
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Now let's say I'm under a bridge. Would it be alright to switch to neutral quickly, rev, then switch back to S?
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 02:53 PM   #28
El_Duderino
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
Your engine will live. It's designed for this.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 03:15 PM   #29
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duderino View Post
Your engine will live. It's designed for this.
Sure, then just keep doing it ... best of luck.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 04:12 PM   #30
Blu_Frg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP

... when I get my e92 m3 I'm going to redline it very frequently.

I do it all the time on my ZHP
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 01:00 AM   #31
Mahzari
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Rolf, I mean no disrespect, but I'm confused why taking a stock car to its stock redline is bad. Dozens of people track and autocross these cars and put much more stress on the engine than we do on the street with no problems.

Powerslide - I imagine the rev-matched downshifts sound amazing with your roof down!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 01:28 AM   #32
piloto
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 - AW/FR

Quote:
He's not stating that's he's dumping the clutch. Just a normal start off the line and then go to WOT and shift at redline. Nothing wrong with that. In fact it's one of the key features that makes this car (and engine) such a joy and something special. Such a linear motor with a strong pull all the way to redline. To not enjoy it like this is a shame, imo. And the engine is certainly capable of handling that type of loading and as long as you're smooth with the gear change, the trans will be fine too.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 07:09 AM   #33
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahzari View Post
Rolf, I mean no disrespect, but I'm confused why taking a stock car to its stock redline is bad. Dozens of people track and autocross these cars and put much more stress on the engine than we do on the street with no problems.

Powerslide - I imagine the rev-matched downshifts sound amazing with your roof down!
Quote:
Originally Posted by piloto View Post
He's not stating that's he's dumping the clutch. Just a normal start off the line and then go to WOT and shift at redline. Nothing wrong with that. In fact it's one of the key features that makes this car (and engine) such a joy and something special. Such a linear motor with a strong pull all the way to redline. To not enjoy it like this is a shame, imo. And the engine is certainly capable of handling that type of loading and as long as you're smooth with the gear change, the trans will be fine too.
Gentlemen, perhaps you can say I am from the old school when I express caution for some of the actions described in this thread ... when I read some of your comments I simply find that the engine / transmission / clutch are being abused by the proposed operational descriptions.

Now mind you my thinking cycle might be slightly different then yours firstly I am a mechanical engineer educated in Germany. As such I actually disassembled, reassembled mechanical components (yes even engines). Also I made mechanical parts and tools with my hands (using tools of course like files etc.). I say only this when I needed a special tool and asked my Master if I can have this tool he would say "We don't have this kind of tool make one" ... and so I did.

Now to our marvellous M3 engine, I am sure if you mistreat that fine engine it will certainly not be fine for a long time and will require more then normal attention. I treat my cars like a woman with respect and in doing so prolong there beauty for a very long time.

I do enjoy the exhaust sound just like the next fellow (or lady) here however even with these electronic protection systems that our cars have, I must agree with the experts that a car is not prevented from redlining through inadvertent gear engagement. If I refer to redlining I do mean exceeding the recommended redline due to incorrect shifting of your gears (we all done it when operating a manual transmission).

For example if a driver accidentally selects a lower gear when trying to shift up or selects a lower gear than intended while shifting down (like in a sequential transmission), the engine will be forced to rapidly rev-up to match the speed of the drivetrain. If this happens while the engine would be at high rpms, it may dramatically exceed the redline. For example, if the operator is driving close to redline in 3rd gear and attempts to shift to 4th gear but unintentionally puts the car in 2nd by mistake, the transmission will be spinning much faster than the engine, and when the clutch is released the engine’s rpm will increase rapidly. It will lead to a rough and very noticeable engine braking, and likely engine damage.

This is all I am trying to point out ... our engines are indeed rugged and well designed I know that, what I am referring to is simply treat your engine with respect and it will indeed provide you with satisfactory service as it was designed to do.

By all means go to the redline, however, do it by up shifting please and keep your maintenance bills down. I for one would never ever take my car to the redline in first gear.

Drive safely

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 11-27-2011 at 07:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 09:05 AM   #34
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Quote:
Gentlemen, perhaps you can say I am from the old school when I express caution for some of the actions described in this thread ... when I read some of your comments I simply find that the engine / transmission / clutch are being abused by the proposed operational descriptions.

Now mind you my thinking cycle might be slightly different then yours firstly I am a mechanical engineer educated in Germany. As such I actually disassembled, reassembled mechanical components (yes even engines). Also I made mechanical parts and tools with my hands (using tools of course like files etc.). I say only this when I needed a special tool and asked my Master if I can have this tool he would say "We don't have this kind of tool make one" ... and so I did.

Now to our marvellous M3 engine, I am sure if you mistreat that fine engine it will certainly not be fine for a long time and will require more then normal attention. I treat my cars like a woman with respect and in doing so prolong there beauty for a very long time.

I do enjoy the exhaust sound just like the next fellow (or lady) here however even with these electronic protection systems that our cars have, I must agree with the experts that a car is not prevented from redlining through inadvertent gear engagement. If I refer to redlining I do mean exceeding the recommended redline due to incorrect shifting of your gears (we all done it when operating a manual transmission).

For example if a driver accidentally selects a lower gear when trying to shift up or selects a lower gear than intended while shifting down (like in a sequential transmission), the engine will be forced to rapidly rev-up to match the speed of the drivetrain. If this happens while the engine would be at high rpms, it may dramatically exceed the redline. For example, if the operator is driving close to redline in 3rd gear and attempts to shift to 4th gear but unintentionally puts the car in 2nd by mistake, the transmission will be spinning much faster than the engine, and when the clutch is released the engine’s rpm will increase rapidly. It will lead to a rough and very noticeable engine braking, and likely engine damage.

This is all I am trying to point out ... our engines are indeed rugged and well designed I know that, what I am referring to is simply treat your engine with respect and it will indeed provide you with satisfactory service as it was designed to do.

By all means go to the redline, however, do it by up shifting please and keep your maintenance bills down. I for one would never ever take my car to the redline in first gear.

Drive safely

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter
Sorry Rolf!
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.

Last edited by immiketoo; 11-27-2011 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 09:40 AM   #35
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
Sorry Rolf!
You rascal !!! I'll get after you with a wet noodle as my wife always says

BTW. Did my wife send you this copy of my photo? However did you get hold of it? Hmmmm. I wonder if I should change my avatar to my earlier years or to my later years or to that little pussycat there decisions ... decisions

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 06-12-2012 at 03:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 10:25 AM   #36
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

I had to change it to be more appropriate.
Attached Images

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 10:28 AM   #37
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I had to change it to be more appropriate.
Okay, I will not get after you now with that wet noodle my friend

BTW I missed to tell you since you asked me what prompted me to change my 2011 for a 2012. The main reason is I purchased the 2011 slightly used and the 2012 is brand new, I just like to break her in myself since I plan to make it a keeper for a very long time

Psst ... you better edit that picture again now, also there is a tiny typo

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 11-27-2011 at 10:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 10:32 AM   #38
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Good for you! I changed up from my 09 because I had to have the ZCP, and I wanted a different color. Glad I made the choice! Pics tomorrow!!!

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #39
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Good for you! I changed up from my 09 because I had to have the ZCP, and I wanted a different color. Glad I made the choice! Pics tomorrow!!!
I will pick up my brand new one in just over 24 hours .... forecast calls for rain all week guess I'll take the first pictures in the showroom it will have to do until the sun comes out again ...

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 10:41 AM   #40
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Nothing wrong with a wet M3! Make sure you get ALL the angles!

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #41
Mahzari
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Drive safely

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter
Thanks for the response and I agree with your points, you don't want to go and money shift an M3. I'm glad you still enjoy your car and wind it up occasionally.
Appreciate 0