BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-29-2011, 01:48 AM   #23
carogers86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Maybe I misquoted. The jobs I have researched on the IT job website are were w2 at 45-55/hr. I for sure saw a listing as an "EPIC trainer" at $95-$110/hr. It has about 5 required qualifications.

I researched the qualifications and they are available at many of the private colleges you see advertised on daytime TV. I'm thinking, wow.

I feel bad for my friend's who have student loan debt making $2200 a month working for state of California living at home.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 10:47 AM   #24
wmb0000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 328I

I currently in a place that utilize Epic and most Business Analyst/System Analyst/Programmer Analyst make less than 100K per year. They have about 10-15 years experience in Epic. Maybe consultant does make more but I doubt it's a $100/hr which equate to $250K. They are all certified as well

If what your friend said is true, then people who I work with can just be a consultant and bring in 250K per year when they can't crack 100k/yr now. I can believe $150K but $250K .. is not possible. But that just my opinion
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #25
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

I have well over 20 years as a consultant both for a big 6 firm and independent. Done several SAP and Oracle conversions from my native iSeries platform. Even IBM which bills out their SAP Basis people at 200/hr and pays them, oh let's say 75/hr do not make 100 per W2. If the market bears an FTE at 100K a year than the market rate for said consultant would be @75 to 80 per corp to corp or maybe 1099. Sorry to piss on your parade but no way is that reasonable. Now you may find someone in such a pinch that they need someone now to part the Red Sea but those gigs are few and far between and I've learned to run from them. Money is not the end all to be all. As far as the trainer job goes, those guys do not work a full year and the world is full of traniers. You cannot believe what you see advertised in IT job boards these days. I personally know of several recruiting firms that simply run blatantly false ads for help to cache resumes for the future. It's cruel business model right now. And BTW most SAP and Oracle projects are mostly staffed offshore with managing partners and PM's being on site and commanding that kind of hourly billing rate and this is from real experience with top companies in the world doing those conversion and projects. Most people simply can't pay that rate and won't.

Last edited by Bobble; 04-29-2011 at 04:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 04:16 PM   #26
MangoConChile
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335is

i work for a fortune 30 company(fulltime/hourly position) that provides EMR/EPM hosting services to over 10,000 physicians/50,000 users. we do everything from setting up thier servers, vpns, backups, patch updates, supporting the EMR software/working with vendors. we currently support Nextgen and Allscripts(2 other EMR vendors) with more coming on board. first off $100/hr is bullshit. the only people that are going to make that kind of money are the developers of the EMR software or programmers that can customize the software for you(things like templates, etc...). people who scan paper records into EMR are NOT going to make that kind of money. i will admit it is very good experiance to have on your resume since you basically have an advantage over others should an IT position open at lets say a hospital/practice management company. there is a ton of demand for it right. also consultants ussally make more on an hourly basis than fulltime employees mainly due to other things like a lack of 401k/health insurance that a company would have to provide for them.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #27
AM150
3rd wait as she's in storage for the winter
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
I worked for epic systems coming out of college. I was about 50% developer and 50% customer implementations.

Back then (2003) my salary was $48k/yr, and the highest paid member of my team was at about $90k/yr. We billed out at about $80/hr for client work if I recall correctly but that is what Epic was charging for our services, not what we were being paid. Everyone on the team billed out at the same rate.
      05-01-2011, 12:53 PM   #28
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

as solidified by everyone else following suit. She's blowing smoke up your ass.

Also as they said, what a site says means absolutely nothing, lots of times it's inflated, etc etc.

Again I'd still say pursue it if you want, but don't even be actually considering even half that $100 number
Appreciate 0