BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

Closed Thread

10-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Good news for California cars with Throttle Actuator / Idle control device problems

as posted by forum member burrbrown:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=900020

Hi all,
I've got an 08 M3 with about 50k miles. I've been out of warranty for about a year and a half.
Over the past couple months my totally reliable car has had a fuel pressure sensor and module go out, and just this past week, the dreaded Throttle Actuator issue.

The good news is that the Throttle Actuator and Idle Control Device is covered under the California Emissions warranty by BMW NA! This warranty covers California cars for 7 years or 70k miles. Imagine my surprise when my SA told me this and I didn't have to pony up the costs to fix the car.

After some googling around I did find the full list of items covered by the California Emissions warranty. It's in the "Service and Warranty booklet" that came with your car. Or, you can see it on page 38 here: http://www.chapmanbmw.com/PDF/servic...ty_booklet.pdf

And what do you know, Throttle Actuator and Idle Control Device are listed.

So for those of you guys in California with Throttle Actuator or Idle Control Device problems you can get these fixed under warranty if you are under 70k miles!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

Very timely. My car just got "increased emissions" message and reads secondary air pump fault code, which seems to be covered under emissions warranty. But having just moved to Ca, I'm in a catch 22 situation - I cannot register it in Ca because of CEL, and until I register it, it's not covered by this emissions warranty, I guess... Probably should just re-set the CEL and smog it as quickly as possible after that?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 11:04 PM   #3
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxL View Post
Very timely. My car just got "increased emissions" message and reads secondary air pump fault code, which seems to be covered under emissions warranty. But having just moved to Ca, I'm in a catch 22 situation - I cannot register it in Ca because of CEL, and until I register it, it's not covered by this emissions warranty, I guess... Probably should just re-set the CEL and smog it as quickly as possible after that?
correct, I was just think about this too, as I'm not registering my car for at least two more months. (Our car needs to pay first Vehicle License Fee of about $220 this year). I don't expect my car to have any of these problems, but I need to plan it out like you in case I'm in the same situation.

Find a way to clear the CEL, get the smog test, and get your registration done. Wait a week, and then take the car into the dealer. Keep me updated on which dealer you end up using. good luck

Also, here is my thread regarding the process:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=900115

Here's the site you need:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm
Fill out Reg 343

Get the smog test done

Schedule an appointment

Bring in your old title, registration, and new CA insurance
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 06:16 AM   #4
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe

great info! Thanks
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 02:17 AM   #5
spectrumphoto
Just another peanut in the Turd!
United_States
Rep
Drives: g16M850;f30M550;f80M3-ED;e90M3

WOW....

I had the throttle actuator problem (and not a cheap repair) on my 08 E90m 6-7 months ago. It happened about 45-60 days out of warranty and shortly after standard servicing of my car.

My dealer made it appear that they had "gone to bat" for me with corporate and received a one time courtesy repair. Nice to know that was not the case...jackasses.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 12:11 AM   #6
endofanera7
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 JB E92 M3

Garage List
Thank you so much for posting this. I actually bought the actuators and have not find time to replace them. Now i can return the item!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by endofanera7 View Post
Thank you so much for posting this. I actually bought the actuators and have not find time to replace them. Now i can return the item!
good luck on the fix. Does your car have actuator issues? Or you bought them to have it on hand?

If you're taking your car in, let me know which dealer you went to, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 11:55 PM   #8
endofanera7
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
good luck on the fix. Does your car have actuator issues? Or you bought them to have it on hand?

Yes it does have the actuator issue, I bought the car new, the problem arises when I hit 60k miles. I took them to BMW of Fremont. It is sitting at the dealership, probably awaiting for parts to arrive.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 02:56 AM   #9
endofanera7
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post

UPDATE: I took it to Nick Lal at BMW of Fremont. He is wonderful like always, took care of my throttle actuators issue under 7yr/70k miles warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 11:05 AM   #10
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by endofanera7 View Post
UPDATE: I took it to Nick Lal at BMW of Fremont. He is wonderful like always, took care of my throttle actuators issue under 7yr/70k miles warranty.
Good to hear. I am registering my car in CA this week just so I have this insurance in my back pocket. Otherwise I would have kept my out of state registration.

I have an May 08 car, so I'm only covered through May 2015. So for the $500 or so of fees I pay for next two years, it's cheaper to do this than buy extended warranty for these common issues
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread