BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

04-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
M3MamBo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

HOw likely will these new M5/M6 Ceramic brakes be compatible with our M3's

That would be something too look into if its not too expensive to do.. you might even be able to have a dealer install them.

or maybe a Brembo/Stoptech option will still outweigh these fantasy
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
MikeR1994
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 325i, 05 325Ci (RIP)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
I can pretty much guarantee you that they will not fit. Also carbon ceramic brake rotors can run you upwards of about $5,000, so it would not be cheap even if they were a direct swap for the e9X m3.
Active Autowerke Stage II | MMW CSv2 Exhaust | MMW Catless Headers | BC Racing BR Extreme Low Coilovers | custom adjustable rear suspension links | 19" Hyperblack CSL's | M3 style front | trim wrapped in brushed steel vinyl | Slightly smoked tail lights with clear reverse lights | factory xenons

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 03:32 AM   #3
rli2bcz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3

Will the new M calipers fit on the e93 without changing the rotors? Most of the new 1,5, and 6 series have them.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
From what I have heard, the M calipers on the 1 series are worse than the M3 stock ones.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
rli2bcz
Private
Rep

It's ok, it just looks better to me. Does anybody know if it'll fit?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 10:17 PM   #6
sterile stork
coupe la goon
United_States
Rep
Drives: green, black, white

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rli2bcz View Post
Without hands-on experience with the parts, it's going to be hard to say. In time, I'm plenty sure it will become clear what exactly, if anything, is needed to adapt them to our uprights. Swapping brakes between platforms is no new thing with BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Obviously, no one knows about the fit at this point as M5 owners are just starting to take delivery of carbon brakes now... I would call EAS, IND, Turner, or Dinan to see if a shop have attempted it, as they are most likely the first to try this.

Regarding cost, this is going to cost you around $10k including labor. Most likely you'll also have to change wheels so take into account of that cost as well.

Also, if you don't track your car, carbon brakes will be disappointing in terms of streetable performance. They have little initial bite when cold, which is not what you want from a street system. Since you live in Jersey, it won't perform well in the cold (assuming you DD your car)

IMO, if I were in a position to order a car with optional carbon brakes, I wouldn't order it, even if I did track the car. It's just much easier and cheaper to maintain a standard braking system. Don't quote me on this, but I do believe if you don't track the car, the carbon brakes are a lifetime part, you dont' need to change the pads or rotors. If you track the car, after a while you may need to replace pads and rotors....and at that point, you better wish you won the lotto...

Last edited by mdosu; 04-30-2013 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 01:03 AM   #8
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
Obviously, no one knows about the fit at this point as M5 owners are just starting to take delivery of carbon brakes now... I would call EAS, IND, Turner, or Dinan to see if a shop have attempted it, as they are most likely the first to try this.

Regarding cost, this is going to cost you around $10k including labor. Most likely you'll also have to change wheels so take into account of that cost as well.

Also, if you don't track your car, carbon brakes will be disappointing in terms of streetable performance. They have little initial bite when cold, which is not what you want from a street system. Since you live in Jersey, it won't perform well in the cold (assuming you DD your car)

IMO, if I were in a position to order a car with optional carbon brakes, I wouldn't order it, even if I did track the car. It's just much easier and cheaper to maintain a standard braking system. Don't quote me on this, but I do believe if you don't track the car, the carbon brakes are a lifetime part, you dont' need to change the pads or rotors. If you track the car, after a while you may need to replace pads and rotors....and at that point, you better wish you won the lotto...
There is a lot of mis-information in this post, but I understand that not many people are as well rehearse as I am since I have done a lot of research before putting them on my car. I assume the opinions are formed by reading various forums, articles about F1 brakes and previous generation Brembo CCM and PCCBs.

The M5/M6 ceramic is a new type of ceramic developed for BMW street use and is not suited for track. It is apparently tougher than the PCCB but are not track products like the Brembos CCM-R or the Mov'it Cer-Gen3. The advantage of the new BMW specific brakes are reduction unsprung weight, and also lifetime street use.

The current generation of carbon ceramic is both streetable and trackable. For example the Brembos on my car has 110% of friction when cold compare to their steel rotors. The Mov'it brakes performs 90% of its full capacity when cold. They performs like glue when they are hot, but they perform better than steel when cold. The brakes I have got doesn't have much difference on the street in terms of performance compare to stock brakes, but you can feel and modulate the brake much better.

Unfortunately the M5/M6 brakes is not going to fit and the OP IS better off sourcing Brembo, Stoptech or Mov'it options. IIRC the front disc on the M5 is going to be 410mm, and have a wider calliper and it will only work with 20" wheels on the M5 so it would be the same with a E90/92. Besides they are a $9000 option, which means to have them not installed in factory, plus labour is going to be a huge cost even if you can fit it on. Much higher than $10k.

You are right about the rotor cost, they would be upwards of $5k to replace, but they are rated for 5000 competition miles. There's over 50 track days before you have to replace them if you are using it for competition, and considered to be lifetime street use. In terms of pads cost, they are $200 each so that's $1600 for a full set, which is pretty much inline with any high performance track pads - except there is no compromise on the street. It is a true street and track product.

FYI - a sponsor of the forum have the Brembo for sale at around $30k with the GT callipers.

Last edited by sparoz; 05-02-2013 at 01:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #9
dmw16
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rli2bcz View Post
It's ok if they provide lesser performance than your current brakes?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 07:38 AM   #10
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
There is a lot of mis-information in this post, but I understand that not many people are as well rehearse as I am since I have done a lot of research before putting them on my car. I assume the opinions are formed by reading various forums, articles about F1 brakes and previous generation Brembo CCM and PCCBs.

The M5/M6 ceramic is a new type of ceramic developed for BMW street use and is not suited for track. It is apparently tougher than the PCCB but are not track products like the Brembos CCM-R or the Mov'it Cer-Gen3. The advantage of the new BMW specific brakes are reduction unsprung weight, and also lifetime street use.

The current generation of carbon ceramic is both streetable and trackable. For example the Brembos on my car has 110% of friction when cold compare to their steel rotors. The Mov'it brakes performs 90% of its full capacity when cold. They performs like glue when they are hot, but they perform better than steel when cold. The brakes I have got doesn't have much difference on the street in terms of performance compare to stock brakes, but you can feel and modulate the brake much better.

Unfortunately the M5/M6 brakes is not going to fit and the OP IS better off sourcing Brembo, Stoptech or Mov'it options. IIRC the front disc on the M5 is going to be 410mm, and have a wider calliper and it will only work with 20" wheels on the M5 so it would be the same with a E90/92. Besides they are a $9000 option, which means to have them not installed in factory, plus labour is going to be a huge cost even if you can fit it on. Much higher than $10k.

You are right about the rotor cost, they would be upwards of $5k to replace, but they are rated for 5000 competition miles. There's over 50 track days before you have to replace them if you are using it for competition, and considered to be lifetime street use. In terms of pads cost, they are $200 each so that's $1600 for a full set, which is pretty much inline with any high performance track pads - except there is no compromise on the street. It is a true street and track product.

FYI - a sponsor of the forum have the Brembo for sale at around $30k with the GT callipers.
misinformation? You basically confirmed all what I said except I got the cost wrong...
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #11
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu
misinformation? You basically confirmed all what I said except I got the cost wrong...
Ceramics has similar if not slightly better initial bite compare to stock so they are very streetable despite what claimed otherwise. It is the only brake system where there is no compromise between street and track.

Last edited by sparoz; 05-02-2013 at 07:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #12
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterile stork View Post
Without hands-on experience with the parts, it's going to be hard to say. In time, I'm plenty sure it will become clear what exactly, if anything, is needed to adapt them to our uprights. Swapping brakes between platforms is no new thing with BMWs.
Look into wp pro brakes. They have calipers only upgrade kits.
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #13
rli2bcz
Private
Rep

I'm not looking for the ceramic brakes. I just want the six piston M calipers to fit on the stock rotors.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 07:03 AM   #14
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rli2bcz
I'm not looking for the ceramic brakes. I just want the six piston M calipers to fit on the stock rotors.
Start your own thread?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #15
DopeM3
M Power
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Appreciate 0