BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

10-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #23
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

[QUOTE=DaveDee]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicname View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDee
I've searched. My best bet was at bimmerfest but I couldn't go. I think I'm sold on the hfc with resonators. 300 cell cats right?
Well if you were in Surfers Paradise Australia I'd be happy to take you for a run:-) Yes the cats are 300 CPI, so no strong fuel smell like other X-pipes with 100 CPSI cats .You will find Alex or Nick at Gintani a wealth of information and enormous help if you are in USA. A Gintani tune is also a must if you are doing an X-pipe, you will get more advantage of the power gains of the X-pipe with a tune. Nice thing about that is the cable will carry you from a cat delete to a supercharger ECU remapping and back to stock if you ever decide to sell.
Thanks or everything! I have a velos tune already though
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #24
DaveDee
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Comp

Garage List
[QUOTE=Nicname;12783382]
Quote:
Thanks or everything! I have a velos tune already though
No problems, but if you do an X-pipe even though the cats are HFC 300 CPSI you will still need to do a cat delete to prevent CEL. This is due to the more efficient process of the HFC, the o2 sensors will eventually cause a CEL.

Good choice, you will be very happy,
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 12:53 PM   #25
Hawker30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

[QUOTE=DaveDee;12779761]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicname View Post

No, I find it perfect. This car is my daily drive and I can't wait to get in it every day. Once again subjective, but with the valves closed it is quiet.
The only time Gintani (sport) systems seem to be loud is when you accelerate heavily. I've had every major brand on now (catback and full systems) and love this the most, in fact it is the only one I like.
The valves alter the pitch slightly so there is less of a really deep sound, more of an aggressive roar, which was the design intention, not so much to make the system quiet, but reduce any drone. The idle volume is just nice and does not attract too much attention, open the valves and windows though, and give it some acceleration and it becomes a monster. I think the ideal exhaust is the sport as a catback and the valved sport with the X-Pipe
On your ideal exhaust scenario, what would you say the % reduction is from the valves open to closed? I just got the sport with x-pipe but I am concerned it is a bit too loud when driving in the neighborhood. I am seriously concidering the valved add-on but I would like to know if it makes a significant difference to the point where you are not turning heads at low idle.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #26
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
[QUOTE=Hawker30;13124071]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDee View Post

On your ideal exhaust scenario, what would you say the % reduction is from the valves open to closed? I just got the sport with x-pipe but I am concerned it is a bit too loud when driving in the neighborhood. I am seriously concidering the valved add-on but I would like to know if it makes a significant difference to the point where you are not turning heads at low idle.
On my set up (quad resonated Gintani with valved rear section)the idle volume is reduced by 5dB which in audio terms is around half plus. Of significance the tone changes (as the exhaust system is a tuned length of pipe and acts like a wind instrument closing a valve) to a higher octave so it does not rumble as much. On light acceleration the tone is a slightly higher and quieter sound.
From my basic understanding of exhaust systems a large diameter exhaust such as this has a huge volumetric space and at low RPM the exhaust gases don't accelerate from the system like they do at high RPM. Turbulence in the system from slow moving exhaust gas causes drone, and by adding the valves back pressure is increased so the exhaust gases escape at a higher velocity, hence no drone and a higher pitch.
At full throttle it's hard to pick the difference between valves open and closed, valves being designed more for low RPM round town driving and elimination as much as possible as drone. I would not be without the valves, they give an amazing result...like having the best of two systems
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #27
Hawker30
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erm324 View Post
I had the sport xpipe with the gintani catless xpipe and it became NOTICEABLY louder when I got the supercharger and it became very droney and unbearable.
Did you end up taking the xpipe out? I have the same set up with the exact same issues. I would be curious to know what you did to get rid of the problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #28
j2m
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker30
Quote:
I had the sport xpipe with the gintani catless xpipe and it became NOTICEABLY louder when I got the supercharger and it became very droney and unbearable.
Did you end up taking the xpipe out? I have the same set up with the exact same issues. I would be curious to know what you did to get rid of the problem.
I have the Quad resonated catless Gintani + VT2 625 + gintani valved sport and with the valve closed I get ZERO drone

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
PHOTO's: Click Here ESS VT2 625 PHOTOS: Click Here
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #29
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2m View Post
I have the Quad resonated catless Gintani + VT2 625 + Gintani valved sport and with the valve closed I get ZERO drone
This is good to know. Mine is abut to receive a Gintani Stage 2 SC so I'll also report back. Information form Gintani suggests that all exhaust systems are louder when a SC is fitted.
Did you have the exhaust set-up before the SC? If so did you notice a difference with the levels after SC fitting?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #30
THE-FN-MAN
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 x2

I had the sport exhaust and then added the x pipe and then added the super charger. With each step it got louder but I wouldn't ever say anything was unbearable. The obvious huge increase came when the x pipe was fitted but when I added the blower I honestly don't remember thinking to myself wow my exhaust is stupid loud now. This is my third supercharged car and each time I added a blower the exhaust note did change however not once was I unhappy with the sound.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 07:09 PM   #31
Hawker30
Enlisted Member
Rep

[QUOTE=DaveDee]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker30 View Post
Quote:

On my set up (quad resonated Gintani with valved rear section)the idle volume is reduced by 5dB which in audio terms is around half plus. Of significance the tone changes (as the exhaust system is a tuned length of pipe and acts like a wind instrument closing a valve) to a higher octave so it does not rumble as much. On light acceleration the tone is a slightly higher and quieter sound.
From my basic understanding of exhaust systems a large diameter exhaust such as this has a huge volumetric space and at low RPM the exhaust gases don't accelerate from the system like they do at high RPM. Turbulence in the system from slow moving exhaust gas causes drone, and by adding the valves back pressure is increased so the exhaust gases escape at a higher velocity, hence no drone and a higher pitch.
At full throttle it's hard to pick the difference between valves open and closed, valves being designed more for low RPM round town driving and elimination as much as possible as drone. I would not be without the valves, they give an amazing result...like having the best of two systems
Great facts. Very helpful thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #32
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
[QUOTE=Hawker30;13125494]
Quote:
Hi Hawker
Thanks for that, I tried a reply to your PM but you are blocking PMs for being sent to you
If you like I can post the answer here
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 09:58 PM   #33
Hawker30
Enlisted Member
Rep

[QUOTE=DaveDee]
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Hawker
Thanks for that, I tried a reply to your PM but you are blocking PMs for being sent to you
If you like I can post the answer here
That would be great. I just signed up for the forum today and they said I would need 3 posts and 48hrs before I have full access to the site. Sorry for the mishap, any info would be fantastic. I cant seem to get back to my question, if you would like to post it for others that may be interested that would be great.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #34
crispy tofu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Gintani definitely looks sweet. also sounds great.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 02:34 AM   #35
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
[QUOTE=Hawker30;13126020]
Quote:
That would be great. I just signed up for the forum today and they said I would need 3 posts and 48hrs before I have full access to the site. Sorry for the mishap, any info would be fantastic. I cant seem to get back to my question, if you would like to post it for others that may be interested that would be great.
No trouble at all here is the reply:
I think the Gintani Sport valve system would suit you best, it will really cut back on the drone. The fuel smell is due to the system being full catless. When you had the engine remapped for the SC did they eliminate the cold start cycle? This will make a huge difference to the smell as the idea with the cold start cycle is to preheat the cats, so if you are catless there is extra fuel being poured into the exhaust for no reason. You are correct about the stock xpipe. it will quieten down the system quite some but may not eliminate drone, (this is more the function of the rear silencers) the valves will do that best. Downside to the stock X-pipe is the loss of about 25-28 HP and you will very quickly burn out the cats due to the increase in temperature and gas flow with the SC. This is on advice from our performance shop here, I'm told SC's eat cats for breakfast then spits them out ;-) You can get HFC's for the Gintani and they are quieter but I'm not sure about life compared to the resonated pipes (which I think are the best)

Whilst I am the Australian Distributor for Gintani, and am really happy to help where possible, I suggest you call Nick at Gintani (CA) who is an expert in this area. If you came from stock your exhaust may not get the WAF for now, it's only a matter of time to adjust ... remember an exhaust system to guys is what shoes are to women
I think we would all be jealous of hearing that magnificent sound when you peel the roof down

Cheers
Dave
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #36
Hawker30
Enlisted Member
Rep

[QUOTE=DaveDee]
Quote:
Quote:
I think the Gintani Sport valve system would suit you best, it will really cut back on the drone. The fuel smell is due to the system being full catless. When you had the engine remapped for the SC did they eliminate the cold start cycle? This will make a huge difference to the smell as the idea with the cold start cycle is to preheat the cats, so if you are catless there is extra fuel being poured into the exhaust for no reason. You are correct about the stock xpipe. it will quieten down the system quite some but may not eliminate drone, (this is more the function of the rear silencers) the valves will do that best. Downside to the stock X-pipe is the loss of about 25-28 HP and you will very quickly burn out the cats due to the increase in temperature and gas flow with the SC. This is on advice from our performance shop here, I'm told SC's eat cats for breakfast then spits them out ;-) You can get HFC's for the Gintani and they are quieter but I'm not sure about life compared to the resonated pipes (which I think are the best)

Whilst I am the Australian Distributor for Gintani, and am really happy to help where possible, I suggest you call Nick at Gintani (CA) who is an expert in this area. If you came from stock your exhaust may not get the WAF for now, it's only a matter of time to adjust ... remember an exhaust system to guys is what shoes are to women
I think we would all be jealous of hearing that magnificent sound when you peel the roof down

Cheers
Dave
This info is awesome, thanks DaveDee. I can't wait to get the valves and a re-tune to eliminate the cold start. Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #37
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

[QUOTE=DaveDee;13126612]
Quote:

Cheers
Dave

I have problems with the statement that sc eat cats and destroy them as this is totally false. Maybe you're thinking of people talkig about leaded gas on high hp applications that will destroy the cats but an sc? No way. Look at all the factory supercharged cars with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #38
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
[QUOTE=m3an;13128131]
Quote:

I have problems with the statement that sc eat cats and destroy them as this is totally false. Maybe you're thinking of people talkig about leaded gas on high hp applications that will destroy the cats but an sc? No way. Look at all the factory supercharged cars with no issues.
I'm only going on info I was given here locally by our performance shop mechanic who tells me there has been a history of SC cars that are tracked needing cat replacements after 3 -6 months.
Our fuel is different and there may be other factors I'm not aware of that could relate to local conditions affecting these vehicles.
I've had HFC and full catless and found gains with a full catless system with the same X-pipe and rear section.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #39
Hawker30
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker30
Quote:
I have the Quad resonated catless Gintani + VT2 625 + gintani valved sport and with the valve closed I get ZERO drone
j2m- I have the ESS 600 SC, I'm wondering when you close your valves on the Gintani sport, would you say it returns the noise level to an M3 performance exhaust? I'm simply looking for an exhaust comparison before I purchase the valves.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 06:27 AM   #40
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Why not try blocking the inner tips with a potato or similar. You will get the same effect as valve closed. This will be a fair test, then you can buy with confidence.

Last edited by DaveDee; 12-17-2012 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: correction
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #41
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Why not try blocking the inner tips with a potato or similar. You will get the same effect as valve closed
A universal silencer Will fit the gintani inner tip as well and will reduce the volume significantly. And it's very cheap to do
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #42
zealot
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

looks like evil
Appreciate 0