BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

Mporium BMW

05-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
Zack G.
Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 650i MSport CP

Any recommendations for a tape against rock chips?

I drive back and forth sometimes on a 250 mile drive and wanted to see if there's a tape (preferably white since my car is AW) I can use to put on the front bumper during the drive so I won't get pelted with rock chips.

I don't want to do a clear bra just yet.

Would painters tape (or whichever is best) ruin my paint on a 4 hour drive?

I don't really care if it looks a little weird as getting 0 rock chips would make it all better when I take it off.

Thanks for any tips!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
bvhbmw
Detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

3M makes a green low-adhesive tape for automotive purposes. You can use the blue painters' tape too, just don't leave it on longer than you have to. Use 3M brand - don't go cheap.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
Zack G.
Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 650i MSport CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvhbmw View Post
3M makes a green low-adhesive tape for automotive purposes. You can use the blue painters' tape too, just don't leave it on longer than you have to. Use 3M brand - don't go cheap.
Ok thanks I'll check with advanced auto parts.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 09:46 AM   #4
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

You're better off getting the tape at a hardware store like home depot or lowes its cheaper and the same 3M tape.

Another solution is vinyl wrapping it. Its not as thick as clear bra but does stop most rock chips.

Last solution is plastidip glossifier. It is rubber coating that is clear and glossy. You spray it on thick and when done peel it off.

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
Nati Beastcat
Party at the Moontower
Rep
Drives: X5D

I saw a guy at the grocery last week that had something i'd never seen before on an S2000. It was some type of clear rubber coating you roll on with a small paint roller. When I spoke to him about it, he said he applied it on his own and when your done it simply peels off by working a corner and peeling from there. He said the only issue was that it peeled quite easy if you used a pressure washer. Said it was great for AutoX or long trips. I should have got the product name!!! anybody else seen this?

may have been the clear plasti dip in the can not sprayed, but rolled on. http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip
Eisenmann race | Test Pipes | BPM Stage 2 | Vorsteiner | Black lines | AA filter | iND cosmetics | KW Sleeve over | 20" BBS LM's | Macht Schnell Tow Strap | Euro modded front bumper | Revinora lip | iND mirror caps | BMW spoiler | BMW Steering wheel | iND Interior Pkg |You bet Jerez its black and i'll never go back! Instagram @NATIBEASTCAT

Last edited by Nati Beastcat; 05-31-2012 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 11:07 AM   #6
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

The roll on stuff is probably the stuff in this thread.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=679223
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 11:17 AM   #7
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nati Beastcat
I saw a guy at the grocery last week that had something i'd never seen before on an S2000. It was some type of clear rubber coating you roll on with a small paint roller. When I spoke to him about it, he said he applied it on his own and when your done it simply peels off by working a corner and peeling from there. He said the only issue was that it peeled quite easy if you used a pressure washer. Said it was great for AutoX or long trips. I should have got the product name!!! anybody else seen this?

may have been the clear plasti dip in the can not sprayed, but rolled on. http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip
Plastidip does the same thing and looks better since it's sprayed on

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0