BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

02-03-2015, 01:04 PM   #155
OneMmmm
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMmmm View Post
Haha. You certainly did.

While I appreciate you taking the time to share your story, it's a story without documented facts or even statements from owners with failed engines.

Based on the available documentation in this forum, the issue does appear to be real, albeit far less common than what you profess.

I certainly may eat my own words one day, but for now I feel at peace with my engine.
More salt...

The problem is that the entire world is not on this forum,most people don't even know the existence of it !
I had also several PM's from people that are asking to stop talking of our bearing failures .
Sure they had bearing failure , but they don't post it on here !
Damn why not....?

It's only one single and simple reason and not complicated...."Thinking about the value of their car" !
I don't want to buy a car with the history of bearing failure, do you.. ?
So even when member on here and in case of bearing failure...Personal I think not even 50 % of it will post it on here !

How we should call this in two words ?...."Smart moves" ???
I've nothing against that (free country) and it's all about money and I'm ok with that , but they are not on here and not counted...

About my info I'm 99% sure,and maybe in may I hope to get the total number if it's possible .(Depends of Germany)
But at that moment you can tell the same thing , so were are we going ?
Think sometimes maybe it was better to eat my numbers , but I'm too angry for that !

And like you sad...Feel peace with my engin "for now" ! ( same here )
The big question is for how long ...
Found also something interesting for you,at least I'm curious => http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1087004
You are still only speculating about failures, whereas SFP is presenting data based on documented failures in US/Canada.

I think everyone on here acknowledges that the current dataset does not capture every failure in these regions. But until someone presents valid documentation and data for the purported dozens (hundreds?) of other failures, those claims will remain nothing more than hearsay.

As such, we would need 4-5X the number of currently documented North American failures to approach a 1% failure rate. I can live with that risk... For now
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 01:10 PM   #156
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
You are still only speculating about failures, whereas SFP is presenting data based on documented failures in US/Canada.

I think everyone on here acknowledges that the current dataset does not capture every failure in these regions. But until someone presents valid documentation and data for the purported dozens (hundreds?) of other failures, those claims will remain nothing more than hearsay.

As such, we would need 4-5X the number of currently documented North American failures to approach a 1% failure rate. I can live with that risk... For now
Let's hope...for now .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 02:13 PM   #157
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
The numbers in the first post are very conservative. Most of the failures are not reported on the forum. Not everyone is online.
Yes there are failures not posted on M3post. But then there are also ~ 25,000 E9x M3 USA owners who are not on M3post. You can't have it both ways.
Lets say that we knew exactly how many E9x M3 owners there are on M3post and we asked everyone if they had an engine failure and everyone replied honestly. These figures would give us a pretty decent snapshot of the expected % failure rate of E9x M3s in the USA. This is what I am trying to do here.
I've already noted that we don't have exact membership figures or exact numbers of failures but the data there is gives an indication of where we are.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 03:46 AM   #158
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I have nearly completed updating the excel file with engine failures that have been reported since the last (Aug 2014) update 6 months ago.
The updated numbers and graphs should hopefully be completed later today.
There have been quite a few, 13 with sufficient details (minimum M3post username, year and mileage) two I'm awaiting email replies, and 1 supercharged.
Of these, one had a double engine change where the second engine was a used one of unknown provenance which then also failed (this second failure has not been added).
So we are looking at about 2 to 3 failures a month for M3post members.

The trends appear to follow the same patterns seen in previous updates.
The stand out one again is that 2011/2/3 cars are more likely to fail than earlier cars as a function of production numbers and mileage.
Indicating that the change that occurred around the 2011 MY (July/Aug 2010) to the newer spec bearings with a larger bearing clearance significantly reduces reliability in the S65 engines.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 04:25 AM   #159
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
I have nearly completed updating the excel file with engine failures that have been reported since the last (Aug 2014) update 6 months ago.
The updated numbers and graphs should hopefully be completed later today.
There have been quite a few, 13 with sufficient details (minimum M3post username, year and mileage) two I'm awaiting email replies, and 1 supercharged.
Of these, one had a double engine change where the second engine was a used one of unknown provenance which then also failed (this second failure has not been added).
So we are looking at about 2 to 3 failures a month for M3post members.

The trends appear to follow the same patterns seen in previous updates.
The stand out one again is that 2011/2/3 cars are more likely to fail than earlier cars as a function of production numbers and mileage.
Indicating that the change that occurred around the 2011 MY (July/Aug 2010) to the newer spec bearings with a larger bearing clearance significantly reduces reliability in the S65 engines.
Thanks a lot SFP, although I don't like the latter as having a 2011...

Will follow your updates.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 04:59 AM   #160
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Thanks a lot SFP, although I don't like the latter as having a 2011...

Will follow your updates.

Cheers
On the plus side (for you I guess) cars in cooler climates seem to be less susceptible to failure.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 05:07 AM   #161
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
On the plus side (for you I guess) cars in cooler climates seem to be less susceptible to failure.
But then in Australia where the temp is moderate to high throughout the year failure numbers are very small. That's what we know of ... so I take the above as an assumption rather than evidence based?
      02-10-2015, 05:26 AM   #162
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

You would have to find out some idea of the number of failures and the production numbers for Aus to see what it tells you. Without these its all just guessing.
The indication for the USA is that the rate is higher in warmer states than cooler ones.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 06:23 PM   #163
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Wait, so according to the data currently available to us...the newer "improved" bearings are actually causing MORE failures?
      02-10-2015, 07:18 PM   #164
chadwick
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 540i

You can't infer that warmer states lead to higher failure rates with just this data, can you? You'd need to know the total registrations by state.

CA, NY (not a warm state), TX are the highest population states, so of course there are going the more failures there, as there are simply more cars there. California will show more failures as there is likely a disproporationate number of these cars there in the first place.

People in colder states are also less likely to buy a car like this in the first place.

So while interesting, I'm not sure the failure by state is telling us anything at all, without vehicle registration information, portion of time spent in that state, or time of year of failure.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 09:26 PM   #165
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadwick
You can't infer that warmer states lead to higher failure rates with just this data, can you? You'd need to know the total registrations by state.

CA, NY (not a warm state), TX are the highest population states, so of course there are going the more failures there, as there are simply more cars there. California will show more failures as there is likely a disproporationate number of these cars there in the first place.

People in colder states are also less likely to buy a car like this in the first place.

So while interesting, I'm not sure the failure by state is telling us anything at all, without vehicle registration information, portion of time spent in that state, or time of year of failure.
Good work on documenting these numbers SFP!

I do agree with the above poster though, 12% of the U.S. population is in CA, 8% is in TX, 6% in Florida and 6% in NY. So we have roughly 32% of the U.S. population in only 4 states. Of these 4 states 3 of them are "hot" states. I think it stands to reason these three states will have more failures than the rest.

Another thing to consider is the fact that generally speaking, sports cars are more prevalent in areas without winter not to mention they accumulate more miles since more of them are driven daily year round. In areas with winter many people park their sports cars during the cold months.
      02-11-2015, 03:44 AM   #166
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I used this map of M3post M3 owners to get a snapshot of the distribution of owners by state...not perfect but for states with a large population it is going to be fairly accurate.
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1061097
One of the suggestions is that 10W60 oil significantly contributes to bearing wear when cold due to poor flow. This is extremely difficult to quantify given all the variables but, what would be the prediction for engine failures as a function of sales and location?
As I've noted before when I first looked into this I expected cold climates to have a higher engine failure rate or at least the average rate. Instead warm/hot climates seem to feature higher in the failure rate table as a function of sales per state that should be expected.
Whatever is the mechanism of S65 engine bearing failures it doesn't seem to be dominated by wear due to cold oil.
I'm in the process of adding 16 more engine failures to the xcel file which may shed a little more light on this question.
What is slightly worrying though is that 9 of these 16 are 2011/2 cars (the other 7 are 2008/9) - this is against expectation.

Last edited by SenorFunkyPants; 02-11-2015 at 08:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 01:14 PM   #167
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

The latest excel file of S65 engine failures is attached for download if anyone is interested.
Contains 66 entries with clickable links to details of each fail.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 11 Feb 2015 Engine fail data.zip (15.2 KB, 158 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 01:20 PM   #168
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
great work on the data, but your sample data is very small. You may want to use the number of m3 forum members who had failures to the number of m3 forum members who dont. Then you can apply that percentage toward the total production numbers.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 02:58 PM   #169
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

The above is for USA/Can cars without superchargers.
The "average mileage at engine failure in production year" green line is pretty much as expected.
The "number of cars produced in year divided by the number of failures" purple line however is not. It should follow the green line to show that newer cars are less likely to fail but clearly doesn't.
Currently of the 47 entries:
22 are 2007/8/9/10 cars from a total production of 15203 cars @ an ave miles at failure of 61,500.
25 are 2011/12/13 cars from a total production of 15053 cars @ an ave miles at failure of 25,800.
The change in rod bearing spec occurred sometime around July/Aug 2010 (probably for the 2011 MY)

Last edited by SenorFunkyPants; 02-11-2015 at 03:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 04:13 AM   #170
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Updated Excel file attached.
Two fails added.
2 to 3 fails a month seems about the going rate.

Summary (USA cars only):

Attached Files
File Type: zip 11 Mar 2015 Engine fail data.zip (15.4 KB, 158 views)

Last edited by SenorFunkyPants; 03-11-2015 at 05:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 08:43 AM   #171
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

This shows how the rate of failure of later cars is increasing while that of older (much higher mileage) cars is steady. This against the prediction that as mileage rises so will the failure rate.
The three dates are the total number of failures to that date

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 09:44 AM   #172
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Great work bud.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 05:29 AM   #173
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

No new failures to add.
But I have changed one of the columns to show an approximate date of failure.
Gives a total of 20 for 2013 and 23 for 2014 - which is surprisingly constant.
I've also added if it looks like the car was tracked at some time.
14 out of 54 cars were tracked = 25%
Attached is the latest zipped excel file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip fails with dates 3 apr 15.zip (15.9 KB, 142 views)
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 10:16 PM   #174
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMmmm
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium
Quote:
Haha. You certainly did.

While I appreciate you taking the time to share your story, it's a story without documented facts or even statements from owners with failed engines.

Based on the available documentation in this forum, the issue does appear to be real, albeit far less common than what you profess.

I certainly may eat my own words one day, but for now I feel at peace with my engine.
More salt...

The problem is that the entire world is not on this forum,most people don't even know the existence of it !
I had also several PM's from people that are asking to stop talking of our bearing failures .
Sure they had bearing failure , but they don't post it on here !
Damn why not....?

It's only one single and simple reason and not complicated...."Thinking about the value of their car" !
I don't want to buy a car with the history of bearing failure, do you.. ?
So even when member on here and in case of bearing failure...Personal I think not even 50 % of it will post it on here !

How we should call this in two words ?...."Smart moves" ???
I've nothing against that (free country) and it's all about money and I'm ok with that , but they are not on here and not counted...

About my info I'm 99% sure,and maybe in may I hope to get the total number if it's possible .(Depends of Germany)
But at that moment you can tell the same thing , so were are we going ?
Think sometimes maybe it was better to eat my numbers , but I'm too angry for that !

And like you sad...Feel peace with my engin "for now" ! ( same here )
The big question is for how long ...
Found also something interesting for you,at least I'm curious => http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1087004

Common sense post.....almost shocking to find that around here.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2015, 09:27 AM   #175
08 E92 Jerez Black
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3 6 speed

Is there anyone working this that is gathering specs from rod bearings pulled out of engines? I have the ones I pulled out of my 08 e92 M3 six speed with 87k Miles, and even though I would want them back (in the event I have problems with the Main bearing in the near future) I would be fine with shipping them to someone that is accepted as an expert that is already gathering the info and that BMW might take seriously. this is a street car that didn't see track time and is pretty much stock (no supercharger) the pic is showing the number one (left) and number 8 (right) upper bearings (piston side) all eight looked the same.

Name:  image1.JPG
Views: 459
Size:  94.4 KB
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 09:32 AM   #176
08 E92 Jerez Black
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3 6 speed

I replaced them with treated bearings and stock rod bolts (not ARP) from Bimmerworld. If I was planning on doing a supercharge I would have pulled to line bore the rods before using ARP since I have always been taught that you have to since ARP grabs so much better it will actually throw rods and mains out of round.
Appreciate 0