BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-29-2011, 03:40 PM   #23
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieDriving View Post
So.... in Canada we have a choice of *some* Individual options. (US owners, nothing to be jealous of, as our M3s cost significantly more )

My favorite colors are the very dark blue or black ones.

I heard that Jet Black is bad for swirls (and my salesman told me to avoid it). So I was leaning a bit more towards Jerez... but then I thought, "Frak, I'm spending so much money on an M.... maybe I should get Azurite?? It seems to be a bit bluer, and without the slight purple-ish tint that Jerez sometimes has... p.s. Midnight Blue is not on the Canadian website, but I suppose I could always ask my dealer if it's possible and if so, how much more it would cost...

I know it's a personal decision whether or not the difference between Jerez & Azurite is worth $4000 (n.b., the $4000 would include piano black, eucalyptus or maple anthracite trim), but I thought I'd ask for your thoughts anyways.....

In addition, if my car gets chips or gets hit and needs to be repainted or something, how hard is it to get matching paint or a matching paint job? Anybody know?

Thanks!
You be wise to stick with the standard colours I think for two reasons 1) if you need to touch or paint a section or 2) for re-sell value. Not everyone might like the colour you pick.

As for chips I have the 3M film Stone Guard up front one can hardly tell it is there

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 03:53 PM   #24
mshab356
Go ///M or go home
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion5 View Post
I think you're making a huge mistake by going with the darker colors. As an artist I can tell you that the M3 has unlike most cars has most of it's charachter in it's from, meaning the bulges and sublte folds in the body. You aren't able to see that with a darker color. There's just a huge majority of people who will agree that the M3 doesn't look good in lighter colors, and almost everyone in the know thinks so, I've spent 3 months researching the car and seen every color and option in person and even the salespeople agree by a wide margin the lighter colors look better so overall I think it's a huge mistake to get an M3 in a darker color, and especially to spend money and go out of your way to get it in that darker color.

Exactly why I went with Space Gray. Not too dark, but not too light, just what I wanted. The color changes to a darker or lighter shade of gray at different angles, specifically around the front and rear bumper, wheel arches, and the hood bulge. Gorgeous!

GONE 2011 SG/Blk E92 M3 CS 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 04:11 PM   #25
Legion5
Major
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle S65B40 View Post
Oh come on, Legion, that's a load of crap. Just because you're a photographer does not mean you are the last word on the assessing the visual reception of the M3 in different colors (obviously something that is completely subjective). I think we can all agree that car looks good in every color. Yes, lighter colors may show the lines more, but darker M3s are far from "black blobs."

The pic above (Bapesta206's car) is awesome and i can see every single line on that car.
Well like I said, there's an overwhelming majority of people who agree that the M3 does not look good in dark colors because of the subtle bulges and also It's worth menoning because of the use of black trim which doesn't contrast with black.

I've spoken to several dozen salespeople that specialize in M3's and even without soliciting them there is a huge consensus that lighter colors are better. In fact I have never heard a salesman specializing in M3's recomend black, and I have always heard salesmen recomend the lighter color.

Like I said black is good for cars with striking shapes, like Lambos, all my cars used to be black on purpose before I went to all red cars so I'm saying this both from an informed artistic standpoint, from the standpoint of having done a mountain of research and interviewed more people than I can count, and from an experience standpoint.

I really don't think black is the M3's color. Black is good for cars that have lots of silver trim and unique shapes. Not for cars with black trim, black vents, and that have lots of form but little shape, which perfectly describes the M3.

Clean cars are happy cars!
CANON PHOTOGRAPHER
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #26
varsity
Private
Rep
Drives: white car, gray car, blue car

Quote:
I know it's a personal decision whether or not the difference between Jerez & Azurite is worth $4000 (n.b., the $4000 would include piano black, eucalyptus or maple anthracite trim), but I thought I'd ask for your thoughts anyways.....
I think an important factor to consider is how long you plan to keep the car, and how much you're going to value this car in the future.

If you totally love this generation M3, have wanted one for years, like the idea of a color nobody else has, and think you'll keep it far beyond the warranty expiration, then sure, go for the $4k color.

But if you think you're going to move on to other cars, maybe higher-end cars, in the future, I'd suggest saving your money.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 12:13 AM   #27
jeff4598
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C HS, DCT, much Dinan

Taste is ...well taste. Mine was reenforced the other day when I saw a black M3 in a parking lot (not many M3's in central NJ- seen maybe 5 in 3 years-others have been AW and SS). It looked like a cute little toy- pleasant but not special per se-nothing bad, just made no impact. Every time I see my AW e90 in my work parking lot at the end of the day I am taken by it's beauty- it's NOT the color- I mean it's just white- it's the way the color makes the car look.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 12:46 AM   #28
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Maybe this will help you decide...

Jerezschwarz, Saphireschwarz, Rubinschwarz...
Dackelone, thanks for posting the pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlmiii View Post
These two statements are not correct.

I have two "black" BMW's - a Jet Black M3 and a Sapphire Black 135.
The Jet Black car has been babied with hand washing and treated with figurative white gloves overall. Despite that it readily reveals any swirls and blemishes when viewed at any angle in most lighting.
The Sapphire Black car has been treated respectfully, but not with the same care. It's been taken through good car washes. It does not reveal swirls under most viewing. Yes, it will give up some evidence under the right angle and light, but it is much more forgiving than the Jet Black.

Sapphire Black is also not nearly so sensitive to the unavoidable dust that settles on a car within minutes of washing.

Overall, SB has 90% of the star quality of JB, with 20% of the problems.
Okay, that pretty much seals my decision not to go with Jet Black. It looks stunning when clean, but I’d like something a little easier to maintain (although I understand all dark colors are difficult to maintain).

Quote:
Originally Posted by varsity View Post
I think an important factor to consider is how long you plan to keep the car, and how much you're going to value this car in the future.

If you totally love this generation M3, have wanted one for years, like the idea of a color nobody else has, and think you'll keep it far beyond the warranty expiration, then sure, go for the $4k color.

But if you think you're going to move on to other cars, maybe higher-end cars, in the future, I'd suggest saving your money.
THIS.

I’ve loved cars since I was a little girl, but my 335i was my first BMW after putting myself through many, many years of school, and lots of hard work getting myself etablished in my career...

I didn’t even consider the M3. I just thought it was way more than I would need.

Well, after reading about it here and driving it on an autocross, I thought, “OM*F*G, I want this car!!! And I would want to keep this amazing, last ever, naturally aspirated V8 forevaaaaar!”

So here I am.

I like most of the M3 colors. But when I saw this M3 Competition Package in Azurite Black, it just floored me: http://www.autogespot.com/nl/item/79...tion-pack.html

I'm not sure if it's because of the color or how great the photography is though.

Regardless, this post reminded me I need to get an M3 that "floors" me like that. I compromised a little on my 335i (it actually has a popular option that I *didn't* want), and now that I know that it doesn't matter if 99% of the population likes something if I don't like it, an E9x M3 is not something I want to compromise on...

I’ve been continuing to search and read old posts, and it seems as if BMW Canada has allowed more than the standard Individual colors. I do want to explore if I might want to go with something quite different. For example, I do like the Dakar on the E92 quite a bit (really surprised me!) Although I’m not sure I’d want to stand out that much!
      07-30-2011, 09:38 AM   #29
amglol
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Oh come on, Legion, that's a load of crap. Just because you're a photographer does not mean you are the last word on the assessing the visual reception of the M3 in different colors (obviously something that is completely subjective). I think we can all agree that car looks good in every color. Yes, lighter colors may show the lines more, but darker M3s are far from "black blobs."

The pic above (Bapesta206's car) is awesome and i can see every single line on that car.
did someone say subjective?
      07-30-2011, 10:01 AM   #30
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Oh come on, Legion, that's a load of crap. Just because you're a photographer does not mean you are the last word on the assessing the visual reception of the M3 in different colors (obviously something that is completely subjective).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion5 View Post
Well like I said, there's an overwhelming majority of people who agree that the M3 does not look good in dark colors because of the subtle bulges and also It's worth menoning because of the use of black trim which doesn't contrast with black.

I've spoken to several dozen salespeople that specialize in M3's and even without soliciting them there is a huge consensus that lighter colors are better. In fact I have never heard a salesman specializing in M3's recomend black, and I have always heard salesmen recomend the lighter color.

Like I said black is good for cars with striking shapes, like Lambos, all my cars used to be black on purpose before I went to all red cars so I'm saying this both from an informed artistic standpoint, from the standpoint of having done a mountain of research and interviewed more people than I can count, and from an experience standpoint.

I really don't think black is the M3's color. Black is good for cars that have lots of silver trim and unique shapes. Not for cars with black trim, black vents, and that have lots of form but little shape, which perfectly describes the M3.
Exaggerate much Trying to win an argument that is inherently subjective by using very exagerated claims and the old arguments like "all SA's agree with me" or "even my wife thinks so" is pretty weak.

Please explain where you get your information that an "overwhelming majority of people" agree the M3 does not look good in dark colors? I always find it hilarious when people think that just because they think something then EVERYONE surely must feel the same. And you have spoken to "several dozen" sales people who specialize in M3s... wow, you spend a lot of time canvassing opinions from salespeople who will tell you what you want to hear to sell something. To find "several dozen" M3 salespeople would involve a lot of work. Glad you are so dedicated to proving your preference I know you think you are an authority on this but that doesn't change the fact that color preference on any car, including the M3, is subjective and opinions will vary regardless as to whether an "authority" on the subject "knows" best and has it confirmed to him by several dozen salespeople.

Sarcasm aside, it is great that you prefer lighter colors on the M3, and lots do, but really crazy exagerations like this don't do much for your argument. I would bet (although I do not have real evidence either) that the split of white vs black M3s on this is relatively close and representative of what the market would be. There are a LOT of black M3s here so clearly lots of folks actually prefer the black. Lots prefer the white too... probably a higher number but not an "overwhelming majority". I would also bet that if black wasn't more difficult to maintain, there would be a LOT more people picking it... so even if there are more white M3s out there, it is impossible to know how many are purchased because the person buying doesn't like to have to maintain a black car even if they like it as much or more than white. Bottom line is that although I agree that light colors show off the lines better, there isn't much that supports your assertion that light M3s look better and are overwhelmingly preferred.

I have owned both an AW M3 and a JzB M3. Outside of the upkeep for the black, I actually prefer it looks wise... well, that might be a stretch as I really like both colors for different reasons. I like the AW because, as you say, it does show the lines better. I like the JzB better because the car looks more aggressive and sporty. But that's just my opinion, ymmv. But, hey, I have talked to over 30 sales people who only sell M3s AND the owners of several BMW dealerships that agree with me so it has to be true

Last edited by gthal; 07-30-2011 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 12:09 PM   #31
m3keash
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93, JB/Bamboo, Adv.1 8.3 20s

Quote:
You do have a point...
I love my Jerez but the Interlagos that I've seen are gorgeous too.
      07-30-2011, 01:22 PM   #32
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
So.... in Canada we have a choice of *some* Individual options. (US owners, nothing to be jealous of, as our M3s cost significantly more )

My favorite colors are the very dark blue or black ones.

I heard that Jet Black is bad for swirls (and my salesman told me to avoid it). So I was leaning a bit more towards Jerez... but then I thought, "Frak, I'm spending so much money on an M.... maybe I should get Azurite?? It seems to be a bit bluer, and without the slight purple-ish tint that Jerez sometimes has... p.s. Midnight Blue is not on the Canadian website, but I suppose I could always ask my dealer if it's possible and if so, how much more it would cost...

In addition, if my car gets chips or gets hit and needs to be repainted or something, how hard is it to get matching paint or a matching paint job? Anybody know?

Thanks!
It's just me, but I would never order an Individual color that's extremely close to a stock color. Only a trained eye would be able to tell the difference between Jerez/Jet/Mica/Azurite or any other black, and that fact doesn't make me want to spend $5k on those colors. I'd only order an Individual paint if it stood out from any stock color available, which is why I chose Monte Carlo Blue. Again, just personal opinion.

As for hiding swirls, blacks are by far the worst at hiding swirls. I've detailed over 30 E9* black M3s, and they're a nightmare when it comes to hiding defects. If you're concerned about swirls, go for a color like Alpine White.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 01:32 PM   #33
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipsis View Post
It's just me, but I would never order an Individual color that's extremely close to a stock color. Only a trained eye would be able to tell the difference between Jerez/Jet/Mica/Azurite or any other black, and that fact doesn't make me want to spend $5k on those colors. I'd only order an Individual paint if it stood out from any stock color available, which is why I chose Monte Carlo Blue. Again, just personal opinion.
That's a great point. If you will have a hard time distinquishing an individual color from a standard color, then it just a really expensive bragging right. I haven't seen Azurite in person so I wouldn't know how close it is to Jet Black or Jerez Black but I suspect you are right and that 99% of people would not know the difference and even a high percentage of M3 owners would not know the difference.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 02:03 PM   #34
JulieDriving
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
That's a great point. If you will have a hard time distinquishing an individual color from a standard color, then it just a really expensive bragging right. I haven't seen Azurite in person so I wouldn't know how close it is to Jet Black or Jerez Black but I suspect you are right and that 99% of people would not know the difference and even a high percentage of M3 owners would not know the difference.
It wouldn't be for bragging rights. I am just a total sucker for very dark, rich blues. In fact, I'm planning on getting a relatively stripped M3 (well, I'm not sure with the standard equipment on Canadian M3's if they could really be called "strippers", but anyway.)

This forum member who has an Azurite Black said, "If you place Jerez and Azurite side-by-side, it is plain they are quite different. Azurite has a deeper blue, a richer overall colour, and much more pronouced metallic flake. (http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...8&postcount=44)

The good (but few) pics that I have seen of it make it appear like a slightly deeper, more metallic and more iridescent blue/black, but the difference still seems subtle overall to Jerez Black.

Also, I would like to get an individual trim like Piano Black, which is included with the Individual color in the $3,900 Canadian Package. The package also comes with High Glass Shadowline trim which is a $750 stand-alone option, but dunno if that makes any difference either to the look? Again, not for bragging rights, just because I like it...
      07-30-2011, 02:56 PM   #35
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Thanks, everyone has their own reasons for wanting a certain color, they should just be certain the color is worth it considering the price tag.

Quote:
It wouldn't be for bragging rights. I am just a total sucker for very dark, rich blues. In fact, I'm planning on getting a relatively stripped M3 (well, I'm not sure with the standard equipment on Canadian M3's if they could really be called "strippers", but anyway.)

This forum member who has an Azurite Black said, "If you place Jerez and Azurite side-by-side, it is plain they are quite different. Azurite has a deeper blue, a richer overall colour, and much more pronouced metallic flake. (http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...8&postcount=44)

The good (but few) pics that I have seen of it make it appear like a slightly deeper, more metallic and more iridescent blue/black, but the difference still seems subtle overall to Jerez Black.
If that's the case, you need to see Azurite and Jerez in person side-by-side. Go to your local body shop and ask them for swatches of these two codes:

(S34) Azurite Black Metallic
(A73) Jerez Black Metallic

Any body shop can do this. You should hold the two swatches next to each other under the sun, that way you know exactly what you're buying into. A lot of times pictures of a car aren't representative of what a color looks like in person. When I first saw Monte Carlo Blue on a paint swatch, it was much darker than what online photos made it out to be. I was still happy with it, just wasn't expecting what I saw.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 03:02 PM   #36
JulieDriving
Rep

Garage List
^ Thanks eclipsis for the color codes and the suggestion.

I am starting to think Azurite is too close to Jerez for distinction the vast majority of time, but it may be worth pursuing midnight blue with BMW Canada... http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=404314

By the way, Monte Carlo Blue is a beautiful color.
      07-30-2011, 05:00 PM   #37
jeff4598
Captain
Rep

Dark Slate

For what it is worth if i was paying the extra $5K I'd be all over Dark Slate-stunning- would LOVE to se an M3 in this color.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 06:25 PM   #38
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipsis View Post
As for hiding swirls, blacks are by far the worst at hiding swirls. I've detailed over 30 E9* black M3s, and they're a nightmare when it comes to hiding defects. If you're concerned about swirls, go for a color like Alpine White.
THANK YOU ERIC!!! SOn of a GUN i have a hard time detailing my black Jetta vs my mom's silver Camry.
NExt car won't be a jerez black; rather space gray or AW.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 06:26 PM   #39
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
^ Thanks eclipsis for the color codes and the suggestion.

I am starting to think Azurite is too close to Jerez for distinction the vast majority of time, but it may be worth pursuing midnight blue with BMW Canada... http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=404314

By the way, Monte Carlo Blue is a beautiful color.
I love navy blue colors
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 07:42 PM   #40
JulieDriving
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff4598 View Post
For what it is worth if i was paying the extra $5K I'd be all over Dark Slate-stunning- would LOVE to se an M3 in this color.
Have you got a link to an example? Never heard of that color.
      07-30-2011, 11:53 PM   #41
jeff4598
Captain
Rep

My mistake, I am talking about Dark Graphite-2009 7 series was offering this- not sure if any current models do.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 03:55 PM   #42
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

I am the owner of the Azurite black M3 that you quoted. After two years of ownership, I can safely say, I would do it again (over Jerez), in a heartbeat!!
With any black car, one must be careful. I am (VERY), and reap the benefits - i.e. - very, very few swirls (that said, I give the car a very thorough (read: two-day, 26-hour+) full detail every year, and do swirl-mark touch-ups as needed.
To those that say Azurite is too close to Jerez - I would tend to think they have not compared them side-by-side. Azurite GLOWS - it has a very pronounced depth, and the number of people that have asked if I had it custom painted is innumerable!

When deciding on the colour for my M3, I only had a couple of (fairly scratched up) colour panels, about 6" x 4". I compared Jerez to Azurite, and to me, they looked pretty close (the metal flake was finer on the Jerez panel). However, when I compared a Jerez CAR with mine, the difference was patently obvious.

Regarding matching the paint - do NOT worry - I had an unfortunate incident with a fallen deer recently, and had to replace the front bumper. I chose my body shop carefully, and it paint work is perfect. I am (almost) as anal retentive about my paint as Jamie (BMWLVR), LOL, and cannot tolerate even the slightest imperfection. Those that say you won't be able to match the colour have no clue.

Too bad you weren't closer to me - I'd be VERY happy to show you Azurite in person!

Oh - and, this might be as telling a tale as any - I have met three other Jerez owners, who, after comparing their cars to mine, ALL wished they had stumped up the extra $$$ to go with Azurite....

Good luck with your choice!
      07-31-2011, 04:22 PM   #43
JulieDriving
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBear View Post
I am the owner of the Azurite black M3 that you quoted. After two years of ownership, I can safely say, I would do it again (over Jerez), in a heartbeat!!
With any black car, one must be careful. I am (VERY), and reap the benefits - i.e. - very, very few swirls (that said, I give the car a very thorough (read: two-day, 26-hour+) full detail every year, and do swirl-mark touch-ups as needed.
To those that say Azurite is too close to Jerez - I would tend to think they have not compared them side-by-side. Azurite GLOWS - it has a very pronounced depth, and the number of people that have asked if I had it custom painted is innumerable!

When deciding on the colour for my M3, I only had a couple of (fairly scratched up) colour panels, about 6" x 4". I compared Jerez to Azurite, and to me, they pretty close (the metal flake was finer on the Jerez panel). However, when I compared a Jerez CAR with mine, the difference was patently obvious.

Regarding matching the paint - do NOT worry - I had an unfortunate incident with a fallen deer recently, and had to replace the front bumper. I chose my body shop carefully, and it paint work is perfect. I am (almost) as anal retentive about my paint as Jamie (BMWLVR), LOL, and cannot tolerate even the slightest imperfection. Those that say you won't be able to match the colour have no clue.

Too bad you weren't closer to me - I'd be VERY happy to show you Azurite in person!

Oh - and, this might be as telling a tale as any - I have met three other Jerez owners, who, after comparing their cars to mine, ALL wished they had stumped up the extra $$$ to go with Azurite....

Wow, thank-you so much TTBear!!

Was your body shop able to match the paint because you gave them the BMW paint code for the color?

I was a short roadtrip today, so my mind had a lot of time to wander, and so I imagined myself with a jerez... Waxing and washing it... Would I wonder if I should have ponied up? If Azurite is a richer, more "blue" dark blue, I would...

Now what if I had Azurite and I had ponied up? And no one could see the difference but me? Would I regret paying more? The answer jumped at me instantly and very affirmatively into my brain: no way!

This would be different if it were a non-M 3-series... But this would be my dream car.

TTBear, I think your description has sealed the deal for me...
      07-31-2011, 04:23 PM   #44
JulieDriving
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBear View Post

When deciding on the colour for my M3, I only had a couple of (fairly scratched up) colour panels, about 6" x 4". I compared Jerez to Azurite, and to me, they pretty close (the metal flake was finer on the Jerez panel). However, when I compared a Jerez CAR with mine, the difference was lookeod obvious.

Thank-you so much TTBear!!

Was your body shop able to match the paint because you gave them the BMW paint code for the color?

I was a short roadtrip today, so my mind had a lot of time to wander, and so I imagined myself with a jerez... Waxing and washing it... Would I wonder if I should have ponied up? If Azurite is a richer, more "blue" dark blue, I would...

Now what if I had Azurite and I had ponied up? And no one could see the difference but me? Would I regret paying more? The answer jumped at me instantly and very affirmatively: no way!

This would be different if it were a non-M 3-series... But this would be my dream car.

TTBear, I think your description has sealed the deal for me...