BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions
View Poll Results: What should my next car be?
2014 Cayman S 98 70.00%
2013 RS5 24 17.14%
Other, Please name below 18 12.86%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

06-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #89
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
The M has its own terrific sound, but only on the right hand side of the tach.
Correct but also wonderfully easy to fully remedy without excessive volume and without drone - one of many good aftermarket cat back systems.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 12:08 AM   #90
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:

Agree with some of your other points, although weight by itself is immaterial, as is weight distribution (think Porsche).
Shouldn't compare a rear weight biased car to a car that has its engine hanging over the front axle. Weight distribution is definitely not immaterial, especially in the case of the RS5
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #91
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Correct but also wonderfully easy to fully remedy without excessive volume and without drone - one of many good aftermarket cat back systems.
As I've mentioned, the hairs stand up on the back of my neck when I hear a current M3 hitting the right hand side of the tach. Also as mentioned, I'd like to listen to your car, but don't get out to the left coast any more since I retired.

Perhaps if you need someone killed you can visit the Amish mafia here in Lancaster County, and I can listen to it then.

Bruce

PS - Uh, cross me off your kill list, please. I'm annoying, but lovable.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 09:10 AM   #92
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi09 View Post
Shouldn't compare a rear weight biased car to a car that has its engine hanging over the front axle. Weight distribution is definitely not immaterial, especially in the case of the RS5
So you're saying the RS5 is an understeering pig? If that's so (and I admit I have never really beat on one), why is the RS5 typically faster than an M3 on track. Other than at launch, it's not quicker than the M in a straight line, so it's got to be quicker in the twisties, which I've demonstrated via the fastestlaps.com site, plus the video someone posted within these pages.

Make your point, please.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 12:58 PM   #93
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
I have my stated opinion, which you consider asinine. You have your stated opinion, which I consider asinine. Draw.

But now I'm baiting the faithful because I prefer another BMW to the M3? Just another example of the thin-skinned folks populating this forum who judge themselves by the car they drive.

By the way, Road & Track recently said the 135is they recently tested is their favorite bimmer at the moment, and I could almost agree with them because the siren song of power calls us all, but you can feel the extra weight over the front end in that car compared to the 128.
I just disagreed with your postulation that the 128i somehow has better turn in or handling than the M3. I read the R&T review you are talking about. They are comparing it to the F30 chassis, which I am not a fan of. I seriously doubt I will be getting an M3/4 either. When compared to the E90 chassis they still say the E9x was the best by a mile. So context is everything. They also said "(the 135is) could use more suspension travel, it understeers way more than we'd like, and it desperately needs a limited-slip differential to tame the one-tire fire you get in tight corners." Which coincidently is what I was saying. So you can call me "thin skinned" as a result of disagreeing with you but you are pretty much alone with your assessment of the understeer, steering, turn-in, handling...etc. all somewhat measurable attributes when comparing the 128 to the M3. You're entitled to your "preference", but those other metrics can be argued.
      06-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #94
M3ANMACHINE
Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 + 2014 F15 X5

Lightly used 997 GT3. /thread

But if you have to go new, the Cayman, hands down.

edit: I see you picked up the Cayman! Excellent choice!!!
2011 SG E90 M3 | 2008 AW E90 M3 | 2004 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #95
KKM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10

Don't buy a gt3 unless you have a second or third car. I sold mine in 2 months because it was just too brutal to drive everyday.

Trust me you will regret buying a gt3 as a dd.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 03:04 PM   #96
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

I owned a 128i and while it was small and fun to drive, it is far from being the best BMW. The OP's purchase is probably the correct choice though! Awesome!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #97
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

picked up my cayman this morning. it's AWESOME. i will post some pictures/review later this week after I put some more miles on her

quick notes-
-car is beautiful
-sounds good for a 6 cylinder
-PDK is amazing
-best handling car i've driven
-faster than i remembered!
-love the interior
-car gets a lot of attention lol
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #98
RMB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi TTRS

Garage List
Congrats on the Cayman. I feel that you made the right choice. Porsche fit and finish is second to none and they do truly make an excellent sports car. I like the RS5, but it is heavy and didn't feel as connected as the M3. Sure, you can mash the gas peddle and let Quattro push you through corners (I had an S4 and liked it very much and I also drove the RS5 on a race track) but new vehicles and new benchmarks are coming out in the next year or so. The RS5 represents the current in capabilities, not the future.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #99
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So you're saying the RS5 is an understeering pig? If that's so (and I admit I have never really beat on one), why is the RS5 typically faster than an M3 on track. Other than at launch, it's not quicker than the M in a straight line, so it's got to be quicker in the twisties, which I've demonstrated via the fastestlaps.com site, plus the video someone posted within these pages.

Make your point, please.

Bruce
I was disagreeing with your post where you say weight distribution is immaterial. I thought that was clear.

Weight distribution definitely matters....there's a huge difference between 40/60 rear biased weight distribution and the 60/40 front bias of the RS5. To say that weight distribution does not matter by comparing a porsche to a RS5 does not make sense.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #100
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJ View Post
picked up my cayman this morning. it's AWESOME. i will post some pictures/review later this week after I put some more miles on her

quick notes-
-car is beautiful
-PDK is amazing
-love the interior
Big congrats. Hope to be in your camp next year when my M3 lease is up.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 10:08 PM   #101
ranger22
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:

quick notes-
-car is beautiful
-PDK is amazing
-love the interior
Congrats on the new ride! Let's hit up ECR or MSR and see how your 'S' matches up against my 'R'

Its such a natural progression from an M3 to a Porsche. They just feel a tad sharper on all accounts.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 09:21 AM   #102
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger22 View Post
Its such a natural progression from an M3 to a Porsche. They just feel a tad sharper on all accounts.
Agree. I'd say more than a tad, but I digress

Congrats op, best of luck with the cayman!

Last edited by Black Gold; 06-30-2013 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #103
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Can't wait to hear, about to make the same switch just trying to decide between the boxster & cayman.

Quote:

quick notes-
-car is beautiful
-PDK is amazing
-love the interior
      06-30-2013, 01:53 PM   #104
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB View Post
Congrats on the Cayman. I feel that you made the right choice. Porsche fit and finish is second to none and they do truly make an excellent sports car. I like the RS5, but it is heavy and didn't feel as connected as the M3. Sure, you can mash the gas peddle and let Quattro push you through corners (I had an S4 and liked it very much and I also drove the RS5 on a race track) but new vehicles and new benchmarks are coming out in the next year or so. The RS5 represents the current in capabilities, not the future.
Thank you sir! Loving the new car..imo handling is on another level

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Big congrats. Hope to be in your camp next year when my M3 lease is up.
thank you! let me know if you have any questions, i think i'll have a good opinion by then

Quote:
Congrats on the new ride! Let's hit up ECR or MSR and see how your 'S' matches up against my 'R'

thanks! i would love to go to ecr/msr sometime! i think that i could learn a lot from you

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
Agree. I'd say more than a tad, but I digress

Congrats op, best of luck with the cayman!
thank you! absolutely loved my M3 but the fit and finish on this car is amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
CONGRATS!!!
Thanks!! Hope you're loving your 991S!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin135 View Post
Can't wait to hear, about to make the same switch just trying to decide between the boxster & cayman.
I will definitely post a review soon. imo, depends on what you like. i would love to have a convertible but i am not a fan of the soft top
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #105
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:

I agree as well.

Congrats on the new ride Dev!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 04:58 PM   #106
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Quote:
I will definitely post a review soon. imo, depends on what you like. i would love to have a convertible but i am not a fan of the soft top
Yea a convertible is nice but the cayman does beat it in the looks department. I am just enamored at the base boxster that I got to drive around for the weekend. For 275hp that thing can move or at least gives you the feeling that its really going.
      06-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #107
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Guess I'm a bit biased, but Cayman S! They rock (except on track).
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #108
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metak2you View Post
I just disagreed with your postulation that the 128i somehow has better turn in or handling than the M3. I read the R&T review you are talking about. They are comparing it to the F30 chassis, which I am not a fan of. I seriously doubt I will be getting an M3/4 either. When compared to the E90 chassis they still say the E9x was the best by a mile. So context is everything. They also said "(the 135is) could use more suspension travel, it understeers way more than we'd like, and it desperately needs a limited-slip differential to tame the one-tire fire you get in tight corners." Which coincidently is what I was saying. So you can call me "thin skinned" as a result of disagreeing with you but you are pretty much alone with your assessment of the understeer, steering, turn-in, handling...etc. all somewhat measurable attributes when comparing the 128 to the M3. You're entitled to your "preference", but those other metrics can be argued.
How 'bout I change my verbiage a bit. In my opinion, the 128i is more nimble than the M3, largely because it weighs close to 400 pounds less, and also because of the shorter wheelbase.

Nobody will ever call an M3 "nimble", except when comparing it with, say, a C63 or CTS-V.

I also liked the weight of the steering better in the 128i.

Look, there's no way a 128i will ever stay with an M3 in the twisties, much less any straightaway, but I can use another comparison to illustrate my overall point. We've had both E36 ('95) and E46 ('04) M3s grace our garage, and although the E46 was a better car than the E36 in almost every way, it just wasn't as much fun to drive, mostly because of size and weight.

When I first drove an E92, I was conscious of (and pissed off about) the extra weight and size which I could readily feel as a driver, but can't say it was less fun to drive than our '04 car because of that incredible engine.

In any event I think smaller and lighter is of great significance, and therefore in my opinion the 128i is the current bimmer for me.

YMMV of course, but if you'd like to harken back to the initial road tests of the car back in '08, there were bunches of compliments on how much fun the car was to drive.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #109
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi09 View Post
I was disagreeing with your post where you say weight distribution is immaterial. I thought that was clear.

Weight distribution definitely matters....there's a huge difference between 40/60 rear biased weight distribution and the 60/40 front bias of the RS5. To say that weight distribution does not matter by comparing a porsche to a RS5 does not make sense.
Look, you said that weight distribution matters, particularly in the RS5. That was an indication that you think the M3 handles better than the RS5, but as I've pointed out, the M3 is a bit quicker in a straight line, yet loses out on a road course to the Audi.

Meaning of course that weight distribution in this case doesn't seem to matter.

In other cases, it may or not matter, but it certainly doesn't intrinsically matter, as there are a bunch of other variables involved in the overall performance of any given car.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 04:02 AM   #110
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Look, you said that weight distribution matters, particularly in the RS5. That was an indication that you think the M3 handles better than the RS5, but as I've pointed out, the M3 is a bit quicker in a straight line, yet loses out on a road course to the Audi.

Meaning of course that weight distribution in this case doesn't seem to matter.

In other cases, it may or not matter, but it certainly doesn't intrinsically matter, as there are a bunch of other variables involved in the overall performance of any given car.

Bruce
I never said anything about the M3 handling better in this thread. And not interested in getting into the mag racing debate. Steering feel and involvement are more important than outright track times to me.

Again to say that the weight distribution of a RS5 does not matter by comparing it to a porsche is poor reasoning IMO. That's all I was saying, nothing more. If Audi could fit/push the V8 further back, then they surely would....but doesn't really matter to me either way.

Anyhow congrats Dev! Lovely looking car.
Appreciate 0