BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

06-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #23
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
We can show you a better time at Calabogie as I am friends with the owners & the staff that counts thereYou will love the track as it much more challenging than Tremblant is.We could even stay at the track now as they have 6 suites there.

Here are the events that we are looking at which are for experianced lappers only.

http://www.calabogiemotorsports.com/...d=2&Itemid=150

You do not have to buy the package as they will sell individual days.
Very tempting. Might be worth the drive. The only issue I see is that there aren't any consecutive days during the summer that I can make, and driving out there for a single day would not be worth it with the exception of 8/5. I might be able to make that work with the LCMT event. Will ping you later about this...
      06-10-2010, 11:28 AM   #24
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

I thought that motons automatically make you fast
Looks like fun guys.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 11:28 AM   #25
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
I know your intentions toward my E30 M3; you've made them clear. I'll have to bring barbed wire to the paddock!

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 11:36 AM   #26
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
I thought that motons automatically make you fast
Looks like fun guys.
No but they help make good shots
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 11:38 AM   #27
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwood View Post
nice video. you can definitely see Gearhead has the tighter lines.
And apparently I tend tend to use the curbs

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 12:00 PM   #28
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
Do you have a lot more experience than him or are the mods failing to show an appreciable amount of difference?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
Definitely - having added a BBK, Suspension and using better tires this year I have seen a big improvement for myself. The extra power is useless on a track like that. It will be fun to test it out on a bigger track where it can stretch its legs though.

Driver is definitely above all. Gearhead would probably be quicker than most of they guys at the track in M3's with a Mini. I am closing the gap a bit on him but still have a ways to go. Certainly was a blast doing the vid!
Jaypod, you've got some good runs but focus on being a bit smoother, my fastest laps are the ones I "feel" like I'm going the slowest. But WTF do I know

Did the suspension work unsettle the car, because in portions it looks like you two are on a different track. (nice driving gearhead)

Thanks for sharing.
      06-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #29
noxredna
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 M3, 1M, F10 M5

I agree - still running stock brakes and race pads and it's been through quite a bit.
Don't understand how people warp their brakes within one or two sessions unless you are not using your brakes efficiently or not cooling it down on outlaps after the session.

Suspension would probably give you more time compared to a BBK.. even though a BBK would provide "peace of mind" knowing that you are not going to warp or fade your brakes that might potentially lead to a run-off/wall incident.

Keep the pictures and videos coming, they look awesome!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 12:11 PM   #30
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Jaypod, you've got some good runs but focus on being a bit smoother, my fastest laps are the ones I "feel" like I'm going the slowest. But WTF do I know

Did the suspension work unsettle the car, because in portions it looks like you two are on a different track. (nice driving gearhead)

Thanks for sharing.
I agree with you 100% - knowing Gearhead has a lot more experience and is quicker I was doing too much mirror driving instead of just driving. I think generally I am much smoother than the vid. (or at least I have been told) I think I am one of the few that used a set of PS2's for 7+ track days with pretty even wear. I had some other runs during the day (by myself) that I felt I was definitely quicker. But we had a blast doing the vid.

I was fighting quite a bit of understeer that day with the new NT05's (as compared to the rcomps I ran the previous 2 days) and was playing quite a bit with the suspension between runs. I think on that run the rear was at the second hardest setting and the rear was at the second softest setting.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 01:27 PM   #31
Jeff_DML
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 996TT

crazy little track, almost like a auto-x, looks like fun. doesnt seem that hard on the brakes
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 02:29 PM   #32
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
Definitely - having added a BBK, Suspension and using better tires this year I have seen a big improvement for myself. The extra power is useless on a track like that. It will be fun to test it out on a bigger track where it can stretch its legs though.

Driver is definitely above all. Gearhead would probably be quicker than most of they guys at the track in M3's with a Mini. I am closing the gap a bit on him but still have a ways to go. Certainly was a blast doing the vid!
Agreed. I had an instructor in a Mini Cooper (non turbo) who slowly walked away from me at Willow Springs.

Quote:
That is why I have such a hard time reading some of threads on this board telling us that it is dangerous to run stock brakes on the track.at least we have posted up some videos of myself going fairly quicly with only Hawk HP+'s on my car and not having any real issues even with 1/2 hour sessions.My car is even heavier than most as it has a sunroof & every other option that was available and is 100% stock with no mods except the pads.The M3 is a great street car that works pretty dam good on the track the way it comes! IMO

Yes I will probally do a BBK at some point!
Just do the BBK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
crazy little track, almost like a auto-x, looks like fun. doesnt seem that hard on the brakes
Agreed. The Roval at Autoclub speedway will tend to cook brakes.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 02:30 PM   #33
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:

We see a little over 105 mph at the end of the straight when using this configuration.If we just used the outer loop with no cutouts it becomes a very different place to drive.This is one pof the great things about this place is the variety that is available.

This is the configuration that we were using in the video's.We like to switch it around to create new challenges!

Last edited by Gearhead999s; 06-10-2010 at 02:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 02:32 PM   #34
Jeff_DML
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Agreed. The Roval at Autoclub speedway will tend to cook brakes.
yep coming off the oval cooked my stoptech's that I had on my wrx
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 02:33 PM   #35
Jeff_DML
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We see a little over 105 mph at the end of the straight when using this configuration.If we just used the outer loop with no cutouts it becomes a very different place to drive.This is one pof the great things about this place is the variety that is available.

This is the configuration that we were using in the video's with the exception of the upper cutout on the west side and not using Marc's 120's on the east side.
looks like fun, wish i had something configurable like that in my backyard
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 05:16 PM   #36
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
looks like fun, wish i had something configurable like that in my backyard
You guys need a track down in San Diego County!!!
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #37
FrenchBoy
Lieutenant Colonel
France
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

Great thread. Enjoying the videos and comments. The track seems like fun: More technical than sheer speed. It encourages learning the lines.

Good job guys.

Current: 2016 F80 M3 6-Speed | SO | AB XT1 | ZCP | M Performance Suspension | GC Camber Plates
Previous: 2009 E90 M3
Appreciate 0