BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

11-10-2015, 09:35 PM   #45
d0o0fy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genericuser1
I bought three new sensors and will replace the fronts while I do my oil change this weekend. The rear I'll attempt when I swap wheels in a week or so. With my Google Fu it seems the passenger side rear has the brake sensor which needs the liner partly removed to get to.

Any issue with just zip tying the sensor out of the way and not inserting it into the pad since I visually check them?
The problem with that, is the car seems to have another way to account for pad wear. Likely based off of deceleration. This means, that even with brand new sensors zip-tied, the car will still throw the warnings after a while (which can be a very short period if you track). I wish it was the solution, sadly it's only more infuriating since you now have to fiddle with or replace brand new sensors.
2013 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT (06/13 built) :: Melbourne Red & Fox Red/Black/Black 2-tone :: H&R Sports+ Springs :: Ground Control Camber plates :: Essex/AP-Racing Radical Pro 5000R (CP9660) Front BBK :: 275/35/18 Maxxis RC1 on OZ Challenge HLT (track)
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 10:42 PM   #46
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0o0fy View Post
The problem with that, is the car seems to have another way to account for pad wear. Likely based off of deceleration. This means, that even with brand new sensors zip-tied, the car will still throw the warnings after a while (which can be a very short period if you track). I wish it was the solution, sadly it's only more infuriating since you now have to fiddle with or replace brand new sensors.
I just cut and twisted the ends and reset the system
No issues on my end
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 10:18 PM   #47
AdonM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinm3 View Post
What you guys need to do in this case is, disconnect the sensor and jump the two wires on the harness connector that the sensor connects to. While having this jumped, reset your light and when done, reconnect the sensor. Done it a million times and works every time unless sensor is bad.
I tried doing this with no luck. I replaced the two front brake pad sensors. Tried using your method of jumping the wire and reconnecting the harness but it still didn't reset. I did it on the front left wheel. Does it matter which wheel it is? Should I just repeat this one at a time with other wheels?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 10:42 PM   #48
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

You need to reset both wheel sensors by unplugging them both and then plugging in the new sensors. You can also jump them with the old sensors since they're toasted anyway but if you have new sensors, why.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 10:45 PM   #49
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

There are two sensors at the front wheels (1x left, 1x right) and one sensor at rear passenger side. No sensor at rear driver side.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 11:58 AM   #50
AdonM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
You need to reset both wheel sensors by unplugging them both and then plugging in the new sensors. You can also jump them with the old sensors since they're toasted anyway but if you have new sensors, why.
Thanks for the response. That's exactly what I did. I removed both of the old sensors in the front and replaced them with the new one. Tried to reset and nothing happened. Then I unplugged the new sensors and jumped both sides one by one and still nothing happened.

Do I need to jump both front sensors at the same time?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 02:08 PM   #51
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Yes, the same as using new
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 02:15 PM   #52
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Also make sure the sensor is fully seated and the locking tab is engaged.
Try disconnecting, turn on the car to position II, wait a couple of mins.
Turn off car
Replace sensors. First check there are no shorts in wire. Using an ohm meter, there should be continuity on both pins. If its open, you have a bad sensor

If possible, while both wheels are off the ground, reset your OBC
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 04:44 PM   #53
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3, 997.2 c2s, x166 GL450

My rear brake pad too thin warning came on. Brought it to the dealer they took a look and told me the pad is fine but they have to reprogram it.

I'm a little confused so the warning is not entirely based on the sensor, but also based on mileage and driving habit (what the rep told me)? Last time I look at the service countdown I thought I still had a while. Anyway, if there is a sensor, why don't just use the sensor but also use the mileage etc? Just feeling a bit curious...

The dealer is asking for $200+ to reset / reprogram it...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 09:08 PM   #54
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by byroncheung View Post
My rear brake pad too thin warning came on. Brought it to the dealer they took a look and told me the pad is fine but they have to reprogram it.

I'm a little confused so the warning is not entirely based on the sensor, but also based on mileage and driving habit (what the rep told me)? Last time I look at the service countdown I thought I still had a while. Anyway, if there is a sensor, why don't just use the sensor but also use the mileage etc? Just feeling a bit curious...

The dealer is asking for $200+ to reset / reprogram it...
Lol
For 200+, you can buy a new sensor and reset the conditional based service, go out to a nice restaurant, see a movie, and get a bj from a midget hooker.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 09:10 PM   #55
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Sell it.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 09:11 PM   #56
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

In all seriousness, reset the OBC and let the sensor trip when the brake pad actually needs replacing.

The car will tell you when the sensor trips regardless of when the OBC tells you the brakes might need replacing
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 09:27 PM   #57
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3, 997.2 c2s, x166 GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
Lol
For 200+, you can buy a new sensor and reset the conditional based service, go out to a nice restaurant, see a movie, and get a bj from a midget hooker.
I know. Not surprising coming from a stealership...

They even throw in changing air filter, steering fluid and coolant, doing all these plus reseting the brake warning for only $1100. What a deal...

Wonder why the car wants to count mileage for the brake warning, instead of just use the sensor?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 11:49 PM   #58
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by byroncheung View Post
I know. Not surprising coming from a stealership...

They even throw in changing air filter, steering fluid and coolant, doing all these plus reseting the brake warning for only $1100. What a deal...

Wonder why the car wants to count mileage for the brake warning, instead of just use the sensor?
The premise is that once the sensor trips, it's potentially too late and the brake pad backing could dig in to the rotor and ruin it vs just doing a pad swap and possibly having more life in the rotor.

It's a conditional based service and computers aren't perfect for each condition that a driver puts on their cars. It's not just mileage but yes, most people see a lot more pad life left by the time the OBC says the pads need replacing.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 08:07 PM   #59
pzzvv
LURKER
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I was changing my brake pads earlier in December & both of my sensor in the front broke. Since I didn't have new sensors to replace them with, I just took the ends, electric taped them & tucked them away. I drove with the brake light on for approximately 3 weeks. Bought new front sensors and brought them to a shop (does only BMW work) to get installed. They installed them but were not able to get the system to reset in the time I had to leave it with them.

I'm still currently driving with the brake light on. I'm considering just buying three new sensors & trying to reset the system once again. Should I do that or attempt any of the procedures mentioned in this thread?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 02:14 AM   #60
testdriver
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6spd

No need to buy new sensor, all you have to do is unplug (all 3) sensor from the wheel well connector, and if you already spice the wire and tape them up just make sure they have good contact. Reconnect them and secure the sensor/wire on suspension, put the key in and wait for 20 to 30 sec. start the car and you can reset the service indicator again.

(I use this method on my M3 as well as my fd's 130i, both car don't have any sensor go into brake pad and works nicely)

Last edited by testdriver; 03-10-2016 at 02:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 03:40 PM   #61
fsw73
Rep
Drives: X35i & E93

Exclamation

I have a E93 that I replaces all the brakes and new sensors, the front brakes reset just fine, but had to do the jumper to get it to reset the back brakes and then it would only reset to 9k more miles. I contacted the company I got the brakes from and they sent me a new sensor, but still, the back brakes will not reset over 9k miles. I have search and looked and can't seem to find anyone that has run into this issue. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 04:01 AM   #62
2fast4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Quote:
What you guys need to do in this case is, disconnect the sensor and jump the two wires on the harness connector that the sensor connects to. While having this jumped, reset your light and when done, reconnect the sensor. Done it a million times and works every time unless sensor is bad.
Thanks I was messing around with INPA laptop and pressed wrong CBS(condition based service) reset which caused me the brake/carlift light.
Everything else works great...like ABS bleeding, DSC bleeding etc made the brakes really good now. Also calibrated yaw and something else too.

People should do this DSC bleeding after several years and and the brake is not up to par, including bleeding the brake line with some improvement but not all there, then do the DSC bleeding. Braking power is like new again. There's a lot of air trapped in the DSC unit after many years of service, or flushing the brake fluid.
Just don't do the CBS.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 03:58 PM   #63
da jemster
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3,E93 M3,F22 M235i,i1 i3

Quote:
Resurrecting an oldie but a goodie! Thanks Edwin...worked like a charm

Last edited by da jemster; 10-03-2017 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 01:13 PM   #64
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by da jemster View Post
Quote:
Resurrecting an oldie but a goodie! Thanks Edwin...worked like a charm
Glad I could help

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 01:33 PM   #65
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsw73 View Post
I have a E93 that I replaces all the brakes and new sensors, the front brakes reset just fine, but had to do the jumper to get it to reset the back brakes and then it would only reset to 9k more miles. I contacted the company I got the brakes from and they sent me a new sensor, but still, the back brakes will not reset over 9k miles. I have search and looked and can't seem to find anyone that has run into this issue. Any suggestions?
I have seen this before.. that 9000 miles may increase as you drive or it may stay the same for a long time. It is telling you based on your driving what is the predicted mileage you'll get out of the pads.
      12-04-2017, 08:21 AM   #66
chamba002
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 2009, e90 335i, FZJ80

Does anyone have pictures how to jump the brake pad sensor?
Appreciate 0