BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-19-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
choicez
Major
Rep
Drives: you mad

Why You Should Pay for Music

Definitely an interesting, fast read.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/modiba...?ref=fb&src=sp
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
MCMLXXXIX
wat
Rep
Drives: a gr3at whit3 5hark

good read

I never download full albums at a time. If there's an album with at least 2-3 songs that I like, I'll go buy it. If there's only like one song, I just download it...but it does add up

2012 Toyota Highlander SE - PAST - 2008 e92 335i, 2006 e90 325i
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Great read, thanks for the link.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep
Drives: bubbie mystic blue whale

very true. i was going to be a sound engineer but the music industry is tough. we were told once to get a real job first, then start buying music gears and not just dive in. the music industry is competitive and most of all, people do not always pay for the musicians' and engineers' time consuming and technical work... time, recording gears, good quality musical instruments, studios, recording crews, years of education to learn proper recording techniques for the engineers, years of musical education for the musicians, etc... they all cost money
      06-19-2010, 05:38 PM   #5
shuarma
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e92

as long as lil wayne and drake continue rapping about money and diamonds i will continue to pirate their music
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 06:16 PM   #6
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep
Drives: bubbie mystic blue whale

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuarma View Post
as long as lil wayne and drake continue rapping about money and diamonds i will continue to pirate their music
lol. just remembered a south park episode where a rap artist cannot afford a private island for his son coz of people pirating his music.
      06-19-2010, 06:21 PM   #7
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

whats pirating?
      06-19-2010, 06:35 PM   #8
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Lol they could care less. The only dude bitching about it seriously is Lupe Fiasco.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 06:57 PM   #9
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

All the money is in concerts now.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #10
Spoolin335
Justin Herass
Canada
Rep
Drives: X6M / M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 Audi TTRS  [10.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [9.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Exactly what i feel like. Instead of making millions and millions, they might only make a million. Still lots of money to live on.

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 07:27 PM   #11
Armada
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e82

I'll continue to pirate music all day long. I support the artist by going to shows and buying merch if I really want to.
      06-19-2010, 07:58 PM   #12
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

i'll only buy cds from artists that i really like which are very few people other then that i don't give a fuck
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 08:07 PM   #13
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

I went legit years ago. Theres really no excuse for downloading music.
      06-20-2010, 07:03 AM   #14
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

More money in ring tones then full songs these days.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2010, 11:24 AM   #15
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post

I've been told that from EVERYONE now... it's why I don't understand their article.
They actually make the specific reference that by going to the concert "if you're lucky" the musicians might get a cut. From musicians to producers to the sound techs, everyone has told me that the concerts are 100% where the musicians *really* get their share/cut of money.

Anyways for my personal standpoint, when they make things more reasonably priced, I'll be more willing to pay....

$1 a song is still atrocious imo. So are $100+ concert tickets...

Anyways...if I didn't download, I still wouldn't be paying, I'd be finding something else.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2010, 12:22 PM   #16
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
I tried going legit
I sat down, got a apple store account and set it up.
I found 1 song out of 12 that I was looking for. bought it. had to download the 11 other ones because they weren't new songs.
I still had to rely on pirating because not everything is available. Also, I couldn't play the music I bought using winamp. Which is my player of choice!
So not only can I not find all the music, but they want to force me on how I want to listen to it?
I can't put those itunes songs on my sony ericsson or my PS3. I can barely do anything with them.

also, the guy is full of shit. When artists get booked to come do a gig, they get paid ridiculous amounts of money. I really don't feel bad for them.
Justin Timberlake is not going to go do a concert if he doesn't get paid.
Some of these artists' demands are insane.
Certain artists require you to book them a private plane. I'm not sure how it works in the US, but out here in Europe/Middle East, I have friends who bring in artists for shows and I've seen what they go through to get an artist.
They book private planes, pay them thousands of dollars (to hundreds of thousands depending on the artist) to play for a few hours.
      06-20-2010, 01:31 PM   #17
XiaoDeeDeee
Banned
Rep
Drives: e95 399is

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
I've been told that from EVERYONE now... it's why I don't understand their article.
They actually make the specific reference that by going to the concert "if you're lucky" the musicians might get a cut. From musicians to producers to the sound techs, everyone has told me that the concerts are 100% where the musicians *really* get their share/cut of money.

Anyways for my personal standpoint, when they make things more reasonably priced, I'll be more willing to pay....

$1 a song is still atrocious imo. So are $100+ concert tickets...

Anyways...if I didn't download, I still wouldn't be paying, I'd be finding something else.

When I worked for GridLock I remember, for the Queen Mary event, during preliminary talks, GirLicious would be free (there was some quid pro quo), Ne-yo - $50k, and Black Eyed Peas - $85k.

Didn't read the article. In a hypothetical universe wherein piracy is not illegal: Music I will always pirate. Movies and Games I will buy what I like and pirate the rest. However, the movies and games I do buy will remain unopened since there is no point.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #18
shuarma
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian III View Post
Lol they could care less. The only dude bitching about it seriously is Lupe Fiasco.
nobody would buy his shitty albums about skateboarding and kick push anyway
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2010, 02:34 PM   #19
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post
I tried going legit
I sat down, got a apple store account and set it up.
I found 1 song out of 12 that I was looking for. bought it. had to download the 11 other ones because they weren't new songs.
I still had to rely on pirating because not everything is available. Also, I couldn't play the music I bought using winamp. Which is my player of choice!
So not only can I not find all the music, but they want to force me on how I want to listen to it?
I can't put those itunes songs on my sony ericsson or my PS3. I can barely do anything with them.
You might have a point about the availability of some songs, depending on what music you're into. Anyway, the second part isn't true no more. iTunes has been completely DRM-free for over a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post
also, the guy is full of shit. When artists get booked to come do a gig, they get paid ridiculous amounts of money. I really don't feel bad for them.
Justin Timberlake is not going to go do a concert if he doesn't get paid.
Some of these artists' demands are insane.
Certain artists require you to book them a private plane. I'm not sure how it works in the US, but out here in Europe/Middle East, I have friends who bring in artists for shows and I've seen what they go through to get an artist.
They book private planes, pay them thousands of dollars (to hundreds of thousands depending on the artist) to play for a few hours.
No, this guy isn't talking about the big players, he's talking about the less known bands and labels. To them, music sales are far more important than to some 'top 100' artist (which doesn't mean it's OK to pirate their music). I bet everybody knows of an indie band they like which couldn't make it to a second or third album. I know I do, so that guy's article and his points are perfectly valid, IMO.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2010, 04:22 PM   #20
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
You might have a point about the availability of some songs, depending on what music you're into. Anyway, the second part isn't true no more. iTunes has been completely DRM-free for over a year.
well, perhaps I'll look into iTunes again then if they went DRM-free. Availability still troubles me :/
I buy all my games and movies unless they are not available (reboot for example)
I'm not a fan of piracy. I downloaded the seasons of Fresh Prince of Bel-Air that they said were never going to be released on DVD. They restarted to release them like a few weeks ago, I went out and bought the DVD. But what upsets me is they expect people to not pirate when they don't make something available :P

Quote:
No, this guy isn't talking about the big players, he's talking about the less known bands and labels. To them, music sales are far more important than to some 'top 100' artist (which doesn't mean it's OK to pirate their music). I bet everybody knows of an indie band they like which couldn't make it to a second or third album. I know I do, so that guy's article and his points are perfectly valid, IMO.
in which case I agree then.
I purchase music from small timers that I like from youtube or whatever.
      06-20-2010, 08:33 PM   #21
XiaoDeeDeee
Banned
Rep
Drives: e95 399is

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
Thought this was ironic

Attachment 399671
submitted to ic3; thanks! that's what you get for using torrents! p2p FTL
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2010, 09:04 PM   #22