BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-03-2014, 09:27 PM   #1
Prestigefrzn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' M3

Active Autowerke 3.0 Software + AA Test Pipes

About two weeks ago I spoke with Karl and he said that he had new software for me to try and see how I liked it. First off let me go by saying this, coming from a supercharged E46 M3, this car felt very restricted in the midrange power band. It felt like something was holding it back. Karl assured me that this was a new 3.0 version Software Tune and it will be well worth it.

So I drop my car off to AA for the software install. Once I picked it up, Karl tells me to drive it and see if I notice a difference. I have always heard mixed results about software when it comes to the S65 engine, so I wasn’t expecting to feel anything really. But I was totally wrong. First thing I noticed that the car revved a lot smoother. It seems like the restriction that I complained about wasn’t as evident as before. After speaking with Karl, he explained that although the car didn’t make much peak power, it did make a lot more during the mid range where it is actually useable. I can definitely say the car made a huge improvement throughout the part throttle driving ranges. There is definitely a noticeable difference. Not only does the butt Dyno say more power, but the car itself feels faster. Night and day compared to stock.

But it wasn’t enough……….

One week later and I decided to install the AA drop in filter and test pipes. All I can say is WOW!! I don’t know how come BMW didn’t make the car like this from the factory. There is no restriction in the midrange (atleast that I can notice). The car pulls hard all the way to redline and seems as if it doesn’t want to stop . The sound hasn’t changed much, just gotten a little raspier (coming from a E46 that's not a problem) and more refined. I am still using my stock exhaust but that will be changed out in the next week or so. I have driven the car about 700 miles and I have to say it feels awesome. I think everyone should have test pipes fitted to their car. Even with the stock muffler it makes a difference.

Active Autowerke did dyno my car but the numbers were reading very low. I will post the Dyno chart once I get home. They are suppose to be getting their dyno calibrated in the coming weeks. I will be performing another Dyno once it's calibrated and I get my exhaust installed.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 10:25 PM   #2
coloradoe92m3
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

Aa dyno is likely not reading low. S65s often read low as they don't put out much lower and are overrated at 414. They make closer to 380bhp
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 12:14 AM   #3
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoe92m3 View Post
Aa dyno is likely not reading low. S65s often read low as they don't put out much lower and are overrated at 414. They make closer to 380bhp
AA uses a Mustang Dyno, which will read ~12% less than the Dynojet.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 09:28 AM   #4
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoe92m3 View Post
AA uses a Mustang Dyno, which will read ~12% less than the Dynojet.
This

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 09:23 AM   #5
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

That's pretty awesome P, Glad your having fun, enjoy it in good health. Now you need a blower on that thing!!!

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 09:54 AM   #6
Prestigefrzn
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah Edwin, I have been enjoying it. I am going on a trip in two weeks. Once I come back, I will start focusing more on mods. I have to take my girl on vacation, that way once I start spending I don't hear any arguments
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 09:56 AM   #7
Prestigefrzn
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Here is a copy of my dyno chart. I should be getting the exhaust in two weeks then I will have it done again.

What do you guys think
Attached Images
File Type: pdf test pipe+SW vs SW only vs stk.pdf (48.1 KB, 421 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #8
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestigefrzn View Post
I have to take my girl on vacation, that way once I start spending I don't hear any arguments
I hear ya'

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 03:10 PM   #9
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestigefrzn View Post
About two weeks ago I spoke with Karl and he said that he had new software for me to try and see how I liked it. First off let me go by saying this, coming from a supercharged E46 M3, this car felt very restricted in the midrange power band. It felt like something was holding it back. Karl assured me that this was a new 3.0 version Software Tune and it will be well worth it.

So I drop my car off to AA for the software install. Once I picked it up, Karl tells me to drive it and see if I notice a difference. I have always heard mixed results about software when it comes to the S65 engine, so I wasn’t expecting to feel anything really. But I was totally wrong. First thing I noticed that the car revved a lot smoother. It seems like the restriction that I complained about wasn’t as evident as before. After speaking with Karl, he explained that although the car didn’t make much peak power, it did make a lot more during the mid range where it is actually useable. I can definitely say the car made a huge improvement throughout the part throttle driving ranges. There is definitely a noticeable difference. Not only does the butt Dyno say more power, but the car itself feels faster. Night and day compared to stock.

But it wasn’t enough……….

One week later and I decided to install the AA drop in filter and test pipes. All I can say is WOW!! I don’t know how come BMW didn’t make the car like this from the factory. There is no restriction in the midrange (atleast that I can notice). The car pulls hard all the way to redline and seems as if it doesn’t want to stop . The sound hasn’t changed much, just gotten a little raspier (coming from a E46 that's not a problem) and more refined. I am still using my stock exhaust but that will be changed out in the next week or so. I have driven the car about 700 miles and I have to say it feels awesome. I think everyone should have test pipes fitted to their car. Even with the stock muffler it makes a difference.

Active Autowerke did dyno my car but the numbers were reading very low. I will post the Dyno chart once I get home. They are suppose to be getting their dyno calibrated in the coming weeks. I will be performing another Dyno once it's calibrated and I get my exhaust installed.

Glad you like the new tune

Stock m3's avg around 325whp on this heart break dyno of ours.
Appreciate 0