BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

07-02-2014, 04:34 PM   #23
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorena View Post
You guys did tune someone's Dinan stroker. :-)
Maybe it was at their facility for a week or so.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 06:12 PM   #24
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorena View Post
You guys did tune someone's Dinan stroker. :-)
My comment on re-tuning from my prior post had to do with FI tuning which the thread is about not NA tuning. We have often tuned NA cars sometimes knowing and sometimes not knowing it had a tune in it previously. NA tuning is very simple as the engine is the same, fuel delivery is the same, CR is the same, displacement is the same etc... You can take an NA file from one M3 and use it on another as there are no real variables to take into consideration other than personal preference options in 99.9% of the M3's out there. This is why tuners can send you a cable and with some general info on your vehicle email you a file that you can load yourself.

In the case of tuning stroker motors it is the same as stock motors. Once you have a NA stroker file developed in house which we have had for several years now it can be used in any stroker motor as long as the variables are the same like cams, headers, fuel delivery, displacement, CR etc.. We have had many customers request our 4.6 software for several different built motors. The stroker cars that have had to come in for tuning were cars like the recent Alekshop 4.6 project GTS car which had custom cams we had never tuned in person before so the car did have to come to us for about a week to get sorted. If we would not have brought it in for tuning on our dyno it would have run but it never would have run properly and made max power. Now if a customer builds that exact same Alekshop 4.6 setup we have a file they can simply load.

There are far more variables in FI that need to be taken into consideration as all the kits on the market have different hardware designs, fuel delivery setups, boost levels and OBD calibrations just to list a few. If you have made supercharger software for your own products then you have a good foundation to start from if one decided to tune another vendors supercharger system but you would still need access to the car to tune it properly. If you have never developed your own supercharger software for your own products then you would be starting from scratch and there is no way you could do this without having access to a supercharged car for a long period of time. There is no way any tuner could properly tune all of the kits on the market without having each version of each kit at their facility / dyno for a period of time.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 04:31 PM   #25
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
Your best bet is to always use the vendor who makes the actual hardware.

On a motor that costs $20k to replace and on a product that costs several thousands of dollars to aquire this still blows my mind.

Anybody who says they can build a SC tune 100% from scratch without having direct acces to a car is not telling the truth or is simply selling software they most likley did not develop and they are depending on the ECU to self correct any errors or changes needed in the calibrations.
Yup, it also blows my mind

I'm impressed you did not take OP's money. ESS is a class act.
This is why you guys tuned my E46 M3 and only you will tune/supercharge my E92.
Appreciate 0