BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-21-2007, 01:01 PM   #23
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_bee View Post
Great stuff, I almost bought a used '06 but needed to seat more than 2.
Random question, how is the navi on that thing compared to the bimmer's? I didn't pay attention while test-driving, I was too preoccupied with the engine.
The NAV is ok, it serves the purpose I need it to. Runs on a DVD, it doesn't do live updates or anything but I'm rarely in an area that I need that. The maps are pretty good quality and the routing gives you 3 options to pick from once you choose a start and stop point. Lots of POI's, stuff like that. The really cool thing is that it feeds to the HUD so you see the directions right in front of you instead of having to take your eyes off the road. To me it was worth the $1,700.

The main reason I got it was it really makes the center area look alot better than just having the standard radio there.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2007, 01:21 PM   #24
all8up
Ironchef
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4 C

Garage List
2022 M4 C  [0.00]
I almost bought a C6 after my M3 as well. The only thing that prevented the purchase was the need for a back seat. Those motors are just waiting to be modded and it is just crazy the amount of power that can be had with just bolt ons and relatively minor head work.
07 E90 335, UR Exh, Helix IC, Bav Sport Coils, iForged Swift- sold
E46 M3 - gone and always missed
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2007, 01:29 PM   #25
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by all8up View Post
I almost bought a C6 after my M3 as well. The only thing that prevented the purchase was the need for a back seat. Those motors are just waiting to be modded and it is just crazy the amount of power that can be had with just bolt ons and relatively minor head work.
I rarely had more than 2 people in my M3 and 90% of the time I'm the only one in the car so I can live without the back seat plus the storage space in the back is huge. I've fit 3 suitcases, 2 guitar cases and a couple of duffle bags back there, try doing that in most cars. Plus having the E90 helps with that so when the family goes out we're covered.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2007, 09:23 PM   #26
Str8EJ
Master of Ceremonies
Rep
Drives: '07 328xi Jet Blk/Blk/6Spd

very nice car.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 12:56 AM   #27
Zeiss
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bicycle

Wow! Looks great
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 04:06 AM   #28
Chris.G
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 LCI MSPORT X5 30d

Great looking car! I can't wait till the LS3 engine is placed in our Holden HSV's here in Aus.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 04:42 AM   #29
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

I don't know where you are in Texas but if you see the car in my sig, wave me off please. I don't like to get humiliated.
      07-22-2007, 09:50 AM   #30
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

One thing to keep in mind for those on the fence about 'Vette like me due to the interior, the '08+ offer a high end interior package
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 10:47 AM   #31
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68 View Post
One thing to keep in mind for those on the fence about 'Vette like me due to the interior, the '08+ offer a high end interior package
Yep, it's nice to see GM address that. Draexlmaier is the one who does the work for that package so it's high quality work. They also do stuff for Maybach and MB, among others. It's the 4LT package and it's about 3K more than the 3LT package. The 4LT is basically all the stuff in the 3LT package + the nice leather upgrade package.

Little by little all the old baises against the Vette are disappearing.

Last edited by Carnage; 07-22-2007 at 11:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 11:28 AM   #32
all8up
Ironchef
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4 C

Garage List
2022 M4 C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
I rarely had more than 2 people in my M3 and 90% of the time I'm the only one in the car so I can live without the back seat plus the storage space in the back is huge. I've fit 3 suitcases, 2 guitar cases and a couple of duffle bags back there, try doing that in most cars. Plus having the E90 helps with that so when the family goes out we're covered.

I rarely have more than 2 people in my car, but that second person is my daughter (toddler).

Trust me man...I really wanted the C6...sigh...Like yourself, I don't fit the typical Vette demographics but seeing the prices with the GMSD prices made it really hard to pass it up.

To me the 07 interior is not as bad as people make it out to be, and I'd even say it is better than the previous gen G35(infiniti). I'm guessing the 08 must be really sharp and it is good to see that GM is really making the vette a better all-around-marque sports car.
07 E90 335, UR Exh, Helix IC, Bav Sport Coils, iForged Swift- sold
E46 M3 - gone and always missed
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 12:03 PM   #33
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by all8up View Post
I rarely have more than 2 people in my car, but that second person is my daughter (toddler).

Trust me man...I really wanted the C6...sigh...Like yourself, I don't fit the typical Vette demographics but seeing the prices with the GMSD prices made it really hard to pass it up.

To me the 07 interior is not as bad as people make it out to be, and I'd even say it is better than the previous gen G35(infiniti). I'm guessing the 08 must be really sharp and it is good to see that GM is really making the vette a better all-around-marque sports car.
Yea, a toddler is not a good fit for any car with 2 seats. I got mine at about 7K off sticker (even with it being a custom order, not off the lot) so I couldn't pass it up.

The C6 interior is not that bad. Could it be better, sure and there are some nice upgrades available if you want to spruce it up a bit. Hell, it's not like the E90 interior is the lap of luxury either.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 03:22 PM   #34
herbz
hi
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 325e

Corvettes = American Pride

I wonder what a z06 with 5k in mods would do?

probably destroy an Enzo or anything 10x its price =)
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 04:32 PM   #35
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbz View Post
Corvettes = American Pride

I wonder what a z06 with 5k in mods would do?

probably destroy an Enzo or anything 10x its price =)
I saw an ad in the Dallas paper the other day.."7 Z06's 6,000 OFF"
      07-22-2007, 04:43 PM   #36
TheoIam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C

Man your car looks hot!

I see you have the RARE none chrome rim pkg!!! LOL jk
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 05:24 PM   #37
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoIam View Post
Man your car looks hot!

I see you have the RARE none chrome rim pkg!!! LOL jk
Yea, I'm not much on the whole chrome wheels thing. After looking on all the ones on the lot I was starting to think it was a requirement for dealer's lot cars.

Not having chrome wheels was one of the reasons I ordered the car, much better ways to spend that $1,800 IMO.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 05:29 PM   #38
BMW320i
Colonel
Oman
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 320i

Garage List
2006 320i  [0.00]
so is the LS3 much more capable of modding than the LS2 carnage?? or it's only the extra hp it has as stock??

btw your car is an eye candy

19" velocity CSL replicas staggured // Continental sport contact 2: rear: 255/35/19, Front: 235/35/19 // Blacklines // rear OEM spoiler // y-connector // 30% v-kool tint all around // Black Roof/Mirrors // H&R Sport springs // H&R TRAK+ 15mm spacers //
BMW never makes ordinary cars . . .
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 05:38 PM   #39
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW320i View Post
so is the LS3 much more capable of modding than the LS2 carnage?? or it's only the extra hp it has as stock??

btw your car is an eye candy
Thanks.

The LS3 has a larger displacement then the LS2 (6.2L v. 6.0L) and it appears to be getting more gains from similar mods. Based on some early dynos, it looks like the stock 430HP quoted from GM is under rated too. Looks to be more in the 450 range.

Here's some good info on it from corvetteforum...cliff notes version, .2 liters larger, L92 heads based on the Z06's LS7 motor, improved intake (similar to the L76), slightly better cam (more lift on the intake side), better oil galleys, different inlet with integral maf, inlet silencer.

The LS3 features an aluminum cylinder block with cast iron cylinder liners. In addition to its larger bores, which help create a 376-cubic-inch displacement, the block casting also features revisions and machining in the bulkheads that enhance its strength and improved bay to bay breathing. But while the bore of the 6.2L engine is increased when compared with the previous 6.0L engine, the engine's stroke remains at 3.62 inches (92 mm). The pistons for the larger 6.2L engine also are new and are designed for its high-rpm performance capability.

Breathing for the new 6.2L engine is accomplished via new, high-flow cylinder heads. They're based on the large port/large valve design found on the LS7 engine and other GM L92 engines, with larger-capacity, straighter intake ports. The design optimizes intake flow to the combustion chamber and the exhaust ports are also designed for better flow.

Complementing the larger-port design of the heads are commensurately sized valves. The intake valve size alone increases from 2.00 inches (50.8 mm) to 2.16 inches (55 mm) – an increase of nearly 9 percent. The intake valves feature lightweight hollow stems, which enable the engine's 6,600-rpm capability. The exhaust valves also are large, measuring 1.60 inches (40.4 mm) in diameter.

To accommodate the engine's large valves and enable more direct intake port flow, the intake-side rocker arms are offset 6 mm between the valve tip and the push rod. Actuating the valves is a new camshaft, with intake-side lobes providing more than a 5-percent percent in increase in lift, from 0.521-inch to 0.551-inch (13.25 mm to 14 mm). Exhaust-valve lift remains unchanged from the LS2. The camshaft timing was revised to optimize performance with the higher-lift intake cam profile.

Ensuring the cylinder heads receive all the air they can handles falls to a new, acoustically tuned intake manifold. The composite design is manufactured with a "lost core" process that improves runner to runner variation and reduces airflow losses. An acoustic foam material is used to reduce radiated engine noise; it is sandwiched between the outer top of the manifold and an additional "skull cap" acoustic shell. Also new beauty covers atop the engine shield the rocker covers and also feature a noise-reducing, acoustically tuned insert to provide a more refined engine sound.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 05:43 PM   #40
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

as far as the under rating on the stock HP goes, here's a dyno sheet on a bone stock 2008 vert' with 800 miles on it, same shop...most stock 06/07 6 spd. pulled around 345-350HP on a DynoJet so the LS3 looks to be putting out about 50 more HP to the wheels but they are only rated 36 HP higher than the LS2.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 07:49 PM   #41
Nyulak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2009 BMW 535xi  [10.00]
Are there any driveline changes to the '08 model that may account for the gains as well? That's a nice jump in HP for a refresh of a model line.

Only problem I see is that the demographic driving the cars don't use more than 100 of all of those HP.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 08:50 PM   #42
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyulak View Post
Are there any driveline changes to the '08 model that may account for the gains as well? That's a nice jump in HP for a refresh of a model line.

Only problem I see is that the demographic driving the cars don't use more than 100 of all of those HP.
The main change in terms of driveline is the old T56 tranny has been replaced by the TR-6060 transmission which I believe is the same one used in the new Shelby GT500 Mustangs.

The TR-6060 has about double the amount of syncros for smoother gear engagement and has a higher torque capacity. Smoother, easier, and shorter shifts...less notchy. The change shouldn't be doing much of anything in terms of gains. The big change is the motor itself.

The guy I bought my '07 from has good info on the '08's on his website. http://www.corvettesbyrickdaniel.com/models_2008.html
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 11:09 PM   #43
BMW320i
Colonel
Oman
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 320i

Garage List
2006 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
Thanks.

The LS3 has a larger displacement then the LS2 (6.2L v. 6.0L) and it appears to be getting more gains from similar mods. Based on some early dynos, it looks like the stock 430HP quoted from GM is under rated too. Looks to be more in the 450 range.

Here's some good info on it from corvetteforum...cliff notes version, .2 liters larger, L92 heads based on the Z06's LS7 motor, improved intake (similar to the L76), slightly better cam (more lift on the intake side), better oil galleys, different inlet with integral maf, inlet silencer.

The LS3 features an aluminum cylinder block with cast iron cylinder liners. In addition to its larger bores, which help create a 376-cubic-inch displacement, the block casting also features revisions and machining in the bulkheads that enhance its strength and improved bay to bay breathing. But while the bore of the 6.2L engine is increased when compared with the previous 6.0L engine, the engine's stroke remains at 3.62 inches (92 mm). The pistons for the larger 6.2L engine also are new and are designed for its high-rpm performance capability.

Breathing for the new 6.2L engine is accomplished via new, high-flow cylinder heads. They're based on the large port/large valve design found on the LS7 engine and other GM L92 engines, with larger-capacity, straighter intake ports. The design optimizes intake flow to the combustion chamber and the exhaust ports are also designed for better flow.

Complementing the larger-port design of the heads are commensurately sized valves. The intake valve size alone increases from 2.00 inches (50.8 mm) to 2.16 inches (55 mm) – an increase of nearly 9 percent. The intake valves feature lightweight hollow stems, which enable the engine's 6,600-rpm capability. The exhaust valves also are large, measuring 1.60 inches (40.4 mm) in diameter.

To accommodate the engine's large valves and enable more direct intake port flow, the intake-side rocker arms are offset 6 mm between the valve tip and the push rod. Actuating the valves is a new camshaft, with intake-side lobes providing more than a 5-percent percent in increase in lift, from 0.521-inch to 0.551-inch (13.25 mm to 14 mm). Exhaust-valve lift remains unchanged from the LS2. The camshaft timing was revised to optimize performance with the higher-lift intake cam profile.

Ensuring the cylinder heads receive all the air they can handles falls to a new, acoustically tuned intake manifold. The composite design is manufactured with a "lost core" process that improves runner to runner variation and reduces airflow losses. An acoustic foam material is used to reduce radiated engine noise; it is sandwiched between the outer top of the manifold and an additional "skull cap" acoustic shell. Also new beauty covers atop the engine shield the rocker covers and also feature a noise-reducing, acoustically tuned insert to provide a more refined engine sound.

wow thanks for the info Carnage, that was a good read

19" velocity CSL replicas staggured // Continental sport contact 2: rear: 255/35/19, Front: 235/35/19 // Blacklines // rear OEM spoiler // y-connector // 30% v-kool tint all around // Black Roof/Mirrors // H&R Sport springs // H&R TRAK+ 15mm spacers //
BMW never makes ordinary cars . . .
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2007, 06:26 AM   #44
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW320i View Post
wow thanks for the info Carnage, that was a good read
You're welcome.