BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

11-23-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Questions for SC owners

Hello,

I have a question for you guys with ESS/VF kits

I saw in some pictures that these kits have a filter element mounted in the front left opening of the bumper. It looks very exposed.

How do you guys not Hydro Lock the car in heavy rains? Has anyone had any problems in bad weather? What about snow storms? I can imagine that the filter would be soaked ... even going through a car wash.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
THE-FN-MAN
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 x2

Which filter is used standard? And to OP I think you would seize the blower first before the motor.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

I said the same thing as the Ess kits mount the filter right in the Lower opening. And I don't see it being a "heavy duty" filter as its just a conical k&n. living in Florida this is not ideal as we get some serious standing water on roads down here. But what you can do is mount the filter right off the back of the SC as there is plenty of room (like the AA kits). Just don't use the extension for the Ess kit and mount the filter up in the engine bay. Sure it'll be a little less efficient but you'll have piece of mind that you won't lock the motor up
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an View Post
I said the same thing as the Ess kits mount the filter right in the Lower opening. And I don't see it being a "heavy duty" filter as its just a conical k&n. living in Florida this is not ideal as we get some serious standing water on roads down here. But what you can do is mount the filter right off the back of the SC as there is plenty of room (like the AA kits). Just don't use the extension for the Ess kit and mount the filter up in the engine bay. Sure it'll be a little less efficient but you'll have piece of mind that you won't lock the motor up

Heavy rain and standing water is a large problem for us in florida. Our system provides a filter box with an integrated ram air system. I would not suggest just putting a filter in the engine bay as you will most likely get a ton of heat soak. Even though some companies may claim heat soak is not a problem there is a reason why they mounted the filter where they did imo.

Last edited by SflBimmer8484; 11-23-2012 at 11:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
arter
collecting toys
Rep
Drives: M3 MCB

I have had no problems driving the car in heavy rain, even following another car that was throwing up a constant spray. The back side of the filter stays reasonably dry and can still pull air.

I did have concerns on the track once. Ran in a session right after the club racers, where several lost their engines and dumped oil all over the track. The track put quick dry ( kitty litter) all over the track right before our session and I picked up a snoot-full of quick dry all over the forward face of the filter. Didn't appear to bother the engine, but I quickly replaced the K&N filter when I got home ( $45 I think). the back side of the filter was not caked, but I was left with half the filter area available. It's a pretty big filter though.

It's a nice cold air and ram air location, but it is exposed so you do have to check it after sessions. If you thump it with your fingers, you can knock most of the loose stuff right off it.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #6
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
The filter is best in its present location on the S/C kits (ESS/VF both locate theirs in the air intake duct). Simply exercise caution when driving in rains - no fording through rivers.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
///Matthew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3, 1999 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
Yes, it will be an issue if you drive through a lake, river, or use it as a snow plow. Also, don't drive it through fire.
Lmao thank you!

2013 Santorini Blue M3
1999 Estoril Blue M3
mfatuation.com
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep

Good to know, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #9
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
Yes, it will be an issue if you drive through a lake, river, or use it as a snow plow. Also, don't drive it through fire.
This is correct, fire is not recommended. The filter is fine as long as you do not plan on driving with the front of the car under water. If you do submerge the front of the car under water the engine will stall due to lack of air and you will need remove your vehicle out from the river or lake you are in before continued use.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #10
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep

so no chance of hydrolocking during a storm.

What about car washesh? they move a lot of water in the car washes, I can imagine the filter would be totally soaked.
Anyone taken theirs through a car wash?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #11
GOVCO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 AW M3 DCT [Slight Mods]

Here is what the extremely reliable Wiki says about the issue:

Quote:
Hydrolock most commonly occurs in automobiles when driving through floods, either where the water is above the level of the air intake or the vehicle's speed is excessive, creating a tall bow wave. A vehicle fitted with a cold air intake mounted low on the vehicle will be especially vulnerable to hydrolocking when being driven through standing water or heavy precipitation. Engine coolant entering the cylinders through various means (such as a blown head gasket) is another common cause. Excessive fuel entering (flooding) one or more cylinders in liquid form due to or other abnormal operating conditions can also cause hydrolock.
Seems pretty consistent with other sites as well. Soooo...if you decide to buy the VF or ESS SC kit, then find yourself in the middle of a flood....well....then you're an idiot, and you should have bought a boat instead.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #12
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOVCO View Post

Seems pretty consistent with other sites as well. Soooo...if you decide to buy the VF or ESS SC kit, then find yourself in the middle of a flood....well....then you're an idiot, and you should have bought a boat instead.
I really love your posts.

It's gotta be a pretty massive amount of water and would need to pretty much engulf the airfilter to hydrolock the engine. Nothing to worry about w/ car washes.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #13
GOVCO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 AW M3 DCT [Slight Mods]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
I really love your posts.

It's gotta be a pretty massive amount of water and would need to pretty much engulf the airfilter to hydrolock the engine. Nothing to worry about w/ car washes.
and I really appreciate admired sarcasm.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #14
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOVCO View Post

Or... A location similar to what the manufacturer chose.
Appreciate 0