BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

11-28-2012, 08:53 PM   #89
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optherion View Post
booohooo they put an M on other models. Whys everyone crying about it? Is it diminishing the prestige of your car?

Dont get an Audi S model. They now have S4 and the A4 S Line LOL. You can get the S line package on just about any audi. All the appearance without the go. You can get AMG Appearance package on all Mercedes. Or you can get a porsche which looks the same as every 911 in the line up with slightly different front bumpers.

The one thing that I will admit makes me mad is the fake audio on the M5. That is stupid. At least Lexus hired Yamaha to make their LFA sound REAL. BMW should be ashamed.
The witty and, dare I say, beloved guy on post #19 in this thread also agrees with your latter point.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #90
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
The witty and, dare I say, beloved guy on post #19 in this thread also agrees with your latter point.
He is a wise fellow.
      11-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #91
k2e15
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F48 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by S65NAPWR View Post
BMW knows pissing off a subgroup within the already niche group of enthusiasts isn't going hurt them financial and will only erode brand equity by a small percentage. There's simply more to gain by making the M badge more accesible to all generations who aspire to have a piece of its heritage.

They know that when push comes to shove, as long as they produce the true M cars, a majority of enthusiasts will still buy the cars. Keep in mind, there aren't many other better options that compete with what the M3 delivers today (I mean "king of the hill" more than 4 years running...)
^^ Bingo... Could not have said it better myself!..The only thing I will add... if you don't like the product... don't buy it..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #92
Amri215
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 Alpine White M3

In all fairness I think this post was created in a momentary fit of anger or lapse in judgement on behalf of the OP..hes owned various BMWs..I mean to state you're writing off a car for something as silly as a badge just doesnt compute.

Look to the engine, the suspension, the body styling..i could go on but you get the picture..the M badge doesnt hold the same meaning it held 30 years ago..its called brand evolution..its lost its true homolgated heritage and roots..either way as long as BMW makes the "king of the hill" M cars I will continue to aspire to drive them...regardless of a poseur with an M steering wheel
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #93
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amri215
In all fairness I think this post was created in a momentary fit of anger or lapse in judgement on behalf of the OP..hes owned various BMWs..I mean to state you're writing off a car for something as silly as a badge just doesnt compute.

Look to the engine, the suspension, the body styling..i could go on but you get the picture..the M badge doesnt hold the same meaning it held 30 years ago..its called brand evolution..its lost its true homolgated heritage and roots..either way as long as BMW makes the "king of the hill" M cars I will continue to aspire to drive them...regardless of a poseur with an M steering wheel
I don't think it's a lapse in judgement on the ops behalf. I feel the same

And, BMW isn't the king of the hill anymore. As proof with the new m5.
      11-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #94
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
EDIT ... REMOVED ONE POST REPLY HERE ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amri215 View Post
You are quite right all together I owned 7 my first in 1987 purchased in cash that one as well as my M3 we still have. As far as the badge goes I feel strongly about that having meet some of the ///M Division people. It's all about marketing now and on that point I agree with JC. On one of my 7 Bimmers I have been very badley treated by BMWNA as well as BMW Canada, still I purchased M3's

Perhaps I am a grumpy old man and you know what when you come to my age you can enjoy the same privilege to say whatever your heart desires As for poor judgement yes I had a few of those in my life time. Let me assure you when I posted the OP I meant what I said. I once thought the world of BMW no longer, wait till you get screwed over by them, then you might be of a different frame of mid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo629 View Post
How insecure do you have to be to come up with a statement like "this will be my last M3 because I'm not special anymore...whah whah whah"
You should not assume how people feel unless you are older then I am and know me personally ... or might you be Leonardo da Vinci born in 1452? If so I bow my head. I purchased my first car in 1957 so you do the math.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
I don't think it's a lapse in judgement on the ops behalf. I feel the same

And, BMW isn't the king of the hill anymore. As proof with the new m5.
You are right on ... in my case after being 25 years loyal to BMW and 7 BMW's it's time for a change ... aspesially when one has been screwed over by BMWNA and BMW Canada on one of the cars.

Our 1987 535is will be with us for a very long time and my M3 for as long as I like to drive her. However, when it is time to change it will no longer be a BMW.

As you said BMW is no longer the King of the Hill, our DD is better looking to me every day.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 11-29-2012 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: EDIT ... REMOVED ONE POST REPLY
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #95
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
Dude, that photo is from the movie Napoleon Dynamite. No reason to freak out. :
You are quite right, my bad ... I guess at first glance it just looks different

I removed my post reply ... As dad told us long ... long ago "you will learn something new every day" I never heard of "Napoleon Dynamite" guess was too busy making money to pay for my cars

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 11-29-2012 at 01:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #96
texastate
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

M3 is a pretty decent car.. I used to hate the hood and side vents but over time they did slowly grow on me.

I took my m3 and drove it on the track 3 weeks ago at Little Talledega in Alabama.. That was a lot of fun and I was grateful to only chew through used stocker tires and not wreck.. The M3 performed excellent but I wasn't overly wowed by it.. I think I like it cause it will allow me to go to the track and then take it home the same day.. The parts are a little less expensive and i bought mine with low mileage, 2008, and let somebody else take the depreciation.. its heavy, its my daily driver and really common so it does the job.

I definitely won't be buying another M3 cause I plan on never buying the same car twice.. and I haven't done that yet. I guess I have a little brand loyalty but only to a point.. I want to try new vehicles and get the best I can afford at the time.. My truck payment was about the same monthly price of a used 2008 with low mileage so I got it to satisfy me till I upgrade to what I really want. The car is fun and there is parts of it I probably miss a little but overall its like dating..... sometimes you just want to try one out for a while.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #97
benn.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemetry View Post
+1, a little annoying, but but Mercedes puts AMG all over their non AMG cars, have for years. Porsche is a little differant, but they don't have a "special" division, so not really apples to apples. They did put their Porsche badge on an SUV and a Sedan, and Porschefiles were much more upset about that when it happened that what we see with people complaining about M badges everywhere.

haven't seen merc do that besides offer AMG rims on some regular models..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #98
benn.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6 View Post
In the end you build what the customer will buy, and if you don't you will be behind. Hell Ferrari makes a four door who would have guessed that. AMG has been watered down for years, and it's still not a good track car. Good luck to find a brand that will not adapt to the changing market place. M is still the performance Audi and Mercedes is still chasing which says something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Montreal3 View Post
Sorry, but that is incorrect. There is no 4-door Ferrari in the current model range, nor has there ever been, with the exception of a few one-off 456 sedans produced exclusively for the Sultan of Brunei in the 90's.

Perhaps you were thinking of the Ferrari FF? It has seating for 4...

i agree.. and with all due respect, it's foolish to think other big corporations such as merc or audi don't have the technology to produce performance cars like bmw.. those other companies/brands are just appealing to a different market for production vehicles
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #99
E92///M3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 Coupe

They dont put M badge on any bimmer? M's are strictly M. There's just an m sport package for most of the sedans and coupes but thats not even nearly as close to the real M's itself. They are still special and will always be because they are a separate division from BMW. It's a different company taking BMW's and turning it into a motorsport car which is the fact. tuning, chassis, engine, exterior, interior are distinguished from the regular bmw's. Watch the vids about ///M cars on the bmw website. you'll be surpised.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 10:11 AM   #100
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92///M3 View Post
They dont put M badge on any bimmer? M's are strictly M. There's just an m sport package for most of the sedans and coupes but thats not even nearly as close to the real M's itself. They are still special and will always be because they are a separate division from BMW. It's a different company taking BMW's and turning it into a motorsport car which is the fact. tuning, chassis, engine, exterior, interior are distinguished from the regular bmw's. Watch the vids about ///M cars on the bmw website. you'll be surpised.
Where have you been my Friend ... look at the photo below it is the BMW X6 M car see the ///M Logo on the trunk that is what we are all talking about.

We all know about the fine work the ///M Division Engineers and Designers are doing some of us even visited there facilities and meet some of these fine and dedicated people. Believe me when I say that slapping the ///M Logo on the trunk of other BMW models is like spitting into the faces of the ///M Division folks.

At least Mercedes would never slap the AMG logo onto a Mercedes trunk if it came with a AMG package.

If you click on my signature link below you will find all the videos that most of the folks here by now have seen ... The ///M Division takes a normal series 3, 5 or 6 and changes 50% of it's components then modifies some 80% to make it a true ///M car.

Think about this ... imagine you are part of this hard and dedicated ///M Division team then one day the Accountants and Marketing people decide to slap the ///M logo onto other models just because some ///M division component is now part of that car. How would you feel? and how do you think some of your customers feel after they put $60K to $90K on the table for a true ///M car.

That my Friend is what this is all about ... just to clarify

Here you go see the ///M Logo on that X6 M ... Mercedes would never do this.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 10:39 AM   #101
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

?? The X6M is a ///M Product. It's not a X6 50i with an Msport Package. It's as Much an M product as a 5000+ pound SAV can be. Enough components are different than the standard vehicle that it somewhat qualifies the distinction.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #102
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

to OP

X5 M/X6 M are both developed by M Division...it's not just an appearance pkg.

And of course MB would do the same thing, it's called a GL63 AMG
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 11:02 AM   #103
fatpanda
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 E90

If M really stood for racing only, then I wonder why they only put a single pot front brake n no front brake air cooling ducts for the E9x.M. Take the honda FD2R for instance, it came w factory fit brembo 4 pots n front brake air ducts...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #104
E92///M3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3RD View Post
Where have you been my Friend ... look at the photo below it is the BMW X6 M car see the ///M Logo on the trunk that is what we are all talking about.

We all know about the fine work the ///M Division Engineers and Designers are doing some of us even visited there facilities and meet some of these fine and dedicated people. Believe me when I say that slapping the ///M Logo on the trunk of other BMW models is like spitting into the faces of the ///M Division folks.

At least Mercedes would never slap the AMG logo onto a Mercedes trunk if it came with a AMG package.

If you click on my signature link below you will find all the videos that most of the folks here by now have seen ... The ///M Division takes a normal series 3, 5 or 6 and changes 50% of it's components then modifies some 80% to make it a true ///M car.

Think about this ... imagine you are part of this hard and dedicated ///M Division team then one day the Accountants and Marketing people decide to slap the ///M logo onto other models just because some ///M division component is now part of that car. How would you feel? and how do you think some of your customers feel after they put $60K to $90K on the table for a true ///M car.

That my Friend is what this is all about ... just to clarify

Here you go see the ///M Logo on that X6 M ... Mercedes would never do this.
They don't put an ///m emblem on the back...x5m and x6m are really m cars just like merc GL AMG and M AMG...The most bmw does for a regular bmw car that has the option m sport package is just put this tiny little badge that's not bigger than even a quarter of an inch on the steering wheel and the wheels. that's it. the only thing that sets m sport pkg cars with non m sport pkg cars are just mostly the differently shaped diffusers and the change in the front fascia. If it's not an M built car then there will never be any indication of that specifically on the trunk. It will and has never happened... I completely understand the situation that you are speaking of but that situation is not the situation between ///M and BMW. They are distinctively distinguished from each other. Even if I agree with your perspective...you're thinking too highly of just the ///M badge....that's not what makes an M car an M car and I don't doubt that you don't know.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #105
AM150
3rd wait as she's in storage for the winter
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
Did you all buy in for the badge or car?

The nice thing about this is that only true enthusiasts will be buying the new M3/M4 since everyone that cares about the image will have abandoned the brand.
      12-02-2012, 07:52 AM   #106
03TitSilM3
Rep
Drives: Coupe M3

I'll stay with M. I'm less concerned with how many BMW cars have the M badge, so long the car I drive still gives me the joy I'm after
Appreciate 0