BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Closed Thread

12-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #23
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6mt HK Silver

Ha! I just took off my PSS's and put on Conti EC DWS's for the winter. I dont need a snow tire, just something better for when I get caught out in bad weather (ie light snow). I have only had the tires on for a day and I am already missing my PSS's.

I know its a little off topic but how do you think the Contis preformed in light snow?

Also, if you are thinking about getting rid of any of those tires, PSS or Conti, I might be interested.
      12-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #24
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 - Alpine White

Michelin PSS worse than Conti's isn't normal and outright bizarre.

I run 35 psi in the front and 37 psi in the back cold and they're great like that. You might want to try that.

When I had PS2's, one thing I didn't like was that the softer sidewall didn't make the car feel planted in long turns where the ground undulated. The ultimate grip was there, but the "feel" wasn't as direct as I liked.

I find that the PSS's alleviated that issue I had with the PS2' AND offered more grip tool

Best of both worlds!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #25
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

The PSS definitely has stiffer sidewalls so it improves the "feel" of the road and less tire squirm. I used to run high PSI on the PS2 to alleviate sidewall flex. The PSS doesn't need the same PSI to do the same.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 01:19 AM   #26
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

How many miles are you guys getting out of your rear tires with the PSSs?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 03:03 AM   #27
bvanderbilt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

OP, I had a similar experience but not with PSSes.

My car came with CSC3s. They were/are the grippiest tires I've ever used. Stuck like glue in all conditions.

I bought a set of near-new (lot miles) ZCP take offs with Pirelli P-Zeros (one of the OEM tires). From day one I put them on I felt like I was driving on glass. Had the tires checked, no visual issue. Had alignment checked, also perfect. But anytime I'd take a turn at a speed where the CSCs wouldn't even complain the rear would try to go on me. I went from seeing the DSC light flash once or twice in a year on the CSC3s during normal street driving to see it flash every time I drove the car; and the only thing I changed was tires, from one original M3 fitment to another.

Could never figure it out so I trashed them with 3/4 of their tread left. I have a theory that there must be bad lots of tires out there. Ever notice how some people describe the M3 as being "so tail happy" and others are left scratching their heads because it's hard to break the tires free even in 1st gear with DSC off (my CSC3s)? Maybe there is a higher degree of lot-to-lot variance in tire compound than you'd expect. I don't know how you'd ever prove it when the tires look visually perfect.

I definitely know how you feel -- especially when everybody else is giving rave reviews.

Last edited by bvanderbilt; 12-15-2012 at 03:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #28
jeff4598
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C HS, DCT, much Dinan

Not here to argue but I have had PS2 and PSS and PSS felt awful for first 3k miles and then improved a lot but by then hard to compare to original PS2's.

BUT- My Dunlop snows feel WAY better than either- car feels lighter, more agile and "wants" to go around corners much more quickly- in fact when I go back to summer tires the car feels a bit truck- like.

Two caveats ULTIMATE grip is lower on snows and winter wheels are much lighter so maybe that is a factor.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 07:44 AM   #29
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

I love my PSS tires your actually the first I've heard that doesn't enjoy them.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread