BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

07-29-2010, 05:38 AM   #1
1stM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e93 M3 Convertible

OIL DILEMMA: Castrol Edge 10W60 or Castrol Edge Sport 10W60????

Castrol Edge 10W60 is approved by BMW for M cars but Castrol Edge Sport 10W60 is not.

I can only get Edge Sport 10W60 here - will it damage my engine?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
rockd
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 35i M-Sport 6MT

no
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #3
1stM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e93 M3 Convertible

Tx for the feedback - I was wondering if there was any difference in the composition between the Edge 10W60 (BMW approved) and the Edge Sport 10W60 (not BMW approved) and is one better for my M3 than the other.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Probably just a difference in the additive package, but it could also be group III, rather than IV or V (I'm not sure which one is TWS), both being 100% synthetic. Group III oils, like Mobil1, Syntech, etc. have a dino base stock, but they're allowed to say they're 'fully synthetic', which is crap. But K&N also says their filters filter great, eat a pill and eat all you want without getting fat.... so I don't believe any marketing in this country .

At any rate, if you decide to use it, I wouldn't leave it for more than 7,500 miles, plus I'd also get an oil analysis done to see what you find. I personally rather use the right oil while under warranty, but that's just me. I'm doing my own oil changes, and just did my annual (low mileage) one. Will all the horror stories I've heard, and only dealer in town being small, it's a small price to pay . Take care.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 12:09 AM   #5
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Probably just a difference in the additive package, but it could also be group III, rather than IV or V (I'm not sure which one is TWS), both being 100% synthetic. Group III oils, like Mobil1, Syntech, etc. have a dino base stock, but they're allowed to say they're 'fully synthetic', which is crap. But K&N also says their filters filter great, eat a pill and eat all you want without getting fat.... so I don't believe any marketing in this country .

At any rate, if you decide to use it, I wouldn't leave it for more than 7,500 miles, plus I'd also get an oil analysis done to see what you find. I personally rather use the right oil while under warranty, but that's just me. I'm doing my own oil changes, and just did my annual (low mileage) one. Will all the horror stories I've heard, and only dealer in town being small, it's a small price to pay . Take care.
I would highly doubt that it is a Group III because a Group III oil most likely wouldn't be able to span 50 points on the viscosity scale. I would say the reason the Edge Sport isn't certified is because Castrol made the Edge/TWS with/for BMW and puts the Made specifically for BMW M engines right on the bottle. You also may be right about the fact that the additive pack may be different (maybe it is better maybe it is worse) but who knows. I honestly think the BMW specific thing is a money grab and good marketing.

I am sure the Edge/TWS is a great oil but their may be a superior product out there. I would say that while you are still in warranty just use the stuff BMW says to avoid issues. After your warranty is up put a good quality 0w60 5w60 or 10w60 in of your choice that is of has equal or better specs as the OEM oil and I am positive you will have no issues.

One thing is for certain, BMW is not going to put a junk oil in a $30000 engine that spins in excess of 8000RPM when they are putting a warranty on it for 50000miles (100000miles if the car later becomes a certified series car or someone buys the extended warranty) and they are footing the bill if said engine fails within the warranty period.

Last edited by BMRLVR; 08-23-2010 at 12:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #6
Tiago
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

There is differences between both oils, with the Edge having higher viscosity and resisting better at 100ºC over the Edge sport:

Castrol Edge 10W60 Technical Datasheet (BMW Approved)

Castrol Edge Sport 10W60 Technical Datasheet

It can be better oils out there but i'm stuck with the BMW Approval for the M-engines because it is specially made under BMW specifications.