BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

08-22-2009, 03:40 PM   #1
aelalfy1989
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 INFINITI FX35

I want more options on a performance car like venti seats and heads up, rear view cam

I wonder why they don't offer more options. example the 5 series has alot of amazing options like venti seats heads up display night vision rear view camera and lane departure. I had a 335i and loved the preformace then switched the a 2009 infiniti FX35 loaded with nav all around view and lane dep. and stuff. I wanted to survive the winter here in toronto and you know the tech was pretty cool. But nothing feels better than downshifting a manual and that feel of pulling at high RPM. What i'm saying is why cant they put tech in an M. You don't to add weight thats fine don't add it but i want to. I want luxury and performance in one.
I want a preformance M car with features options like on the regular 5 series, atleast as an option. At least I want heads up and rear view camera (or better of all around view check out infiniti u will like it) and definitely venti seats. I love the cool feature on my FX i hate sweat down my back while driving. not much to ask for and according to me weight wont go much higher if you add these 3 options. forget night vision or massage seats that's too much but ventilated seats. I'm telling you put venti seats on your M take it to a track and you will perform much better watch.

HERE look at the 2010 5 series brochure

http://crm.bmw.ca/com/en/newvehicles...re/index2.html

ALSO heated steering wheel come on that has to be on an M. Also I love the new air conditioning system without that small orange display. Thats so honda civic. The new 5 series display buttons are so clean i have been waiting for a long time for that my 335i had that orange display.

Last edited by aelalfy1989; 08-22-2009 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: adding more details
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 04:08 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Get an M5. Simple.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
aelalfy1989
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Get an M5. Simple.

I'm not sure the M5 has these options. I know it has the heads up but dont know about the rest.
Actually I'm pretty sure it only offers heads up. lol do some research before making such a "simple" quote come on man

Last edited by aelalfy1989; 08-22-2009 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: adding more details
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 05:04 PM   #4
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

When I worked at DARPA, I developed a heads up display that grafs to a persons retina, interfaces with the brain electronically and is able to interface with external devices such as computers (simple message transactions). Recently, I modified it using an bluetooth-type interface that allows me to communicate with the I-drive system. I have it setup to display several things..speed being one of them.

You should get one.....GB on my retinal implant anyone?

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 09:07 PM   #5
bunnn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: like a grandma

^^^ that sounds so sick..if it was real haha
      08-22-2009, 11:12 PM   #6
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelalfy1989 View Post
I'm not sure the M5 has these options. I know it has the heads up but dont know about the rest.
Actually I'm pretty sure it only offers heads up. lol do some research before making such a "simple" quote come on man
"Venti" (are you a Starbucks addict?) seats are hardly something that will make you go faster around a track. Haha... The others are options on the M5, you need to do the research. Not too hard to go to bmwusa.com and build one for yourself. Ventilated seats, heated wheel, HUD, more... If you want a pure luxo barge with all the options that has some grunt, go buy a 7 series.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 12:17 AM   #7
aelalfy1989
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
"Venti" (are you a Starbucks addict?) seats are hardly something that will make you go faster around a track. Haha... The others are options on the M5, you need to do the research. Not too hard to go to bmwusa.com and build one for yourself. Ventilated seats, heated wheel, HUD, more... If you want a pure luxo barge with all the options that has some grunt, go buy a 7 series.
Venti or ventilated seats I'm not going to right it 20 times for you this isn't english class grow the hell up "luxo" and you making fun of venti? ahah. and yes if you had ventilated seats you can run without sweating your balls everyday to work. A lot of people here act is if the M is made for tracking everyday as if no one is going to use their M3 to go to work. stop acting like you guys are insane racers. Man its starting to piss me off.... yes I do take my cars on the track but thats not all I do .....and when I don't. I would like to cool my ass on my way to work instead of having sweat down my back. obviously it was just a saying once again another stupid comment from your side. duh its not an supercharger but yes the cooling is a good feature for a close to 80,000 dollar car. you say for go for the 7 series you didn't see to read my post properly I want a performance car with some tech. I'm not saying go tech crazy. rear view camera, ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, heads up as options not standard (maybe even standard). Think about it its not only engine and brakes and wheels. Look at the CLS It offers luxury and a damn strong performance engine. All I'm saying is the M badge is not only for track it should maintain a good luxury level. These cars are expensive and some people don't only want performance one reason they go for a mercedes rather than a BMW. Listen BMWs are German cars and I lived in Germany and the level of life there is not anything close to hotdogs life in america. That's why you see 5 series and Audi's not so much M's. And also because of gas prices. So don't act smart and think first. Also the M5/M6 have these options in the US version you are right but how come the M3 doesn't. It's an expensive luxury car you are not buying a Saburu. It's not only made to go from 0-60 its made for luxury and performance. It's an M3 it should have options. that's all I'm saying the CLS starts at a little higher price tag but comes with a lot of higher standards and nice engines.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 12:37 AM   #8
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

Quote:
Venti or ventilated seats I'm not going to right it 20 times for you this isn't english class grow the hell up "luxo" and you making fun of venti? ahah. and yes if you had ventilated seats you can run without sweating your balls everyday to work. A lot of people here act is if the M is made for tracking everyday as if no one is going to use their M3 to go to work. stop acting like you guys are insane racers. Man its starting to piss me off.... yes I do take my cars on the track but thats not all I do .....and when I don't. I would like to cool my ass on my way to work instead of having sweat down my back. obviously it was just a saying once again another stupid comment from your side. duh its not an supercharger but yes the cooling is a good feature for a close to 80,000 dollar car. you say for go for the 7 series you didn't see to read my post properly I want a performance car with some tech. I'm not saying go tech crazy. rear view camera, ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, heads up as options not standard (maybe even standard). Think about it its not only engine and brakes and wheels. Look at the CLS It offers luxury and a damn strong performance engine. All I'm saying is the M badge is not only for track it should maintain a good luxury level. These cars are expensive and some people don't only want performance one reason they go for a mercedes rather than a BMW. Listen BMWs are German cars and I lived in Germany and the level of life there is not anything close to hotdogs life in america. That's why you see 5 series and Audi's not so much M's. And also because of gas prices. So don't act smart and think first. Also the M5/M6 have these options in the US version you are right but how come the M3 doesn't. It's an expensive luxury car you are not buying a Saburu. It's not only made to go from 0-60 its made for luxury and performance. It's an M3 it should have options. that's all I'm saying the CLS starts at a little higher price tag but comes with a lot of higher standards and nice engines.
You should get M5 man ... It has all those extra options and plenty of performance and power ...

I agree with you that it would be nice to have an option to choose those features on M3 ... And those people who wants to have a very light M3 should build it the way they want it ...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 01:00 AM   #9
aelalfy1989
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
You should get M5 man ... It has all those extra options and plenty of performance and power ...

I agree with you that it would be nice to have an option to choose those features on M3 ... And those people who wants to have a very light M3 should build it the way they want it ...
Thank you, Yes it should be at least an option and these 4 options weigh nothing really. heads up, ventilated seats is just a cooler below the seats with the seats having holes. its barely weight but yes those who don't want it can remove it or opt out. But come on it's an 80k dollar car. it needs to have these luxury standards. My infiniti FX has a lot of tech and a pretty nice engine for an SUV. Of course nothing compared to an M badged car but the tech was unbeatable I loved it. The touch screen Navi the easy knob which BMW now improved. The Infiniti Knob has buttons surrounding it for easy access and now the BMW has it too. I use to own a 2007 335i with NAv and it frustrated me entering addresses and stuff. that feel left and right and back left and enter and loading from the DVD man that's annoying. Now I can imagine how much BMW owners will love the nav. I saw it, used it a little and i liked it. And I don't want an M5. I think its kind of rectangular less sexy compared to the M3/M6. Don't want the M6 because its too much for a 20 year old. I want an M3 with the same performance but a little more options.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #10
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

I actually hated the vented seats on the Infiniti when I test drove an M45. Made me feel like I was wearing wet clothes The rear view camera would be a nice option though.
      08-23-2009, 09:12 PM   #11
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

I guess it takes some time to get used to ventilated seats ... I had them on my GL450 and it was kind of weird to drive for a few days ... On my CLS550 they didn't blow cold air that strong so it was alright ... But I liked them the best on my X6 ... Very nice option ...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 11:32 PM   #12
aelalfy1989
Private
Canada
Rep

+1
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 11:35 PM   #13
aelalfy1989
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
I actually hated the vented seats on the Infiniti when I test drove an M45. Made me feel like I was wearing wet clothes The rear view camera would be a nice option though.
On My infiniti FX35 there are 3 levels. level one is too light not enough to feel it and level 3 is air conditioning on your back. Level 2 is perfect its not to cold but you feel it and enjoy it. In toronto the summer gets to 32 degree celsius and the ventilated seats. But yea I guess its a matter of preference. And a rear view camera is a must. IT can save you from a stupid mistake in the back or reversing and hitting a dog or something (just an example). Whats with that parking distance control that wont work unless the sensors hit a target meaning that if there is a dog behind you and its not high enough to reach the sensors you kill it backing up. I don't see it as an advantage. IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
I guess it takes some time to get used to ventilated seats ... I had them on my GL450 and it was kind of weird to drive for a few days ... On my CLS550 they didn't blow cold air that strong so it was alright ... But I liked them the best on my X6 ... Very nice option ...
YEA it takes time but when you do you should love it.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 12:03 AM   #14
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Whats with that parking distance control that wont work unless the sensors hit a target meaning that if there is a dog behind you and its not high enough to reach the sensors you kill it backing up. I don't see it as an advantage. IMO
Actually my PDC picks up curbs behind the car which are only 4" high so I can't imagine needing to pick up anything shorter.
      08-24-2009, 12:30 AM   #15
aelalfy1989
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
Actually my PDC picks up curbs behind the car which are only 4" high so I can't imagine needing to pick up anything shorter.
How low is your car? I must say I haven't really had much contact with the PDC but my dad has it on his CLS. Mercedes has it active automatically below a certain speed which i find annoying you won't need it during traffic if a cab is too close to you from behind in traffics, it beeps which is annoying. But BMW its a turn on function during parking time but from what I recall from my dad's CLS doesn't detect curbs so I'm wondering if your statement is true if so then no complaints. I still find a rear view much easier and clearer than beeps. Its just a much simpler, easier way. My infiniti Fx has all around view, which is insane makes me park with my eyes closed literary. Of course all these features should be options for everday travelers. I definitely understand that you won't need a rear view camera on a track or heads up but I don't think anyone tracks everyday.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 09:53 PM   #16
ideliver
Major
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, E71 X6M, E46 M3

Garage List
2006 BMW E46 M3 'vert  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2011 BMW E92  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

dude...take a breath...paragraphs and punctuation are your friends, use them

BTW...sounds like you want an M5...

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 02:28 AM   #17
aelalfy1989
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideliver View Post
dude...take a breath...paragraphs and punctuation are your friends, use them

BTW...sounds like you want an M5...
Ok let me take a deep breathe and answer your question. It's as simple as "I DON'T LIKE THE LOOK OF THE M5. ITS TO RECTANGULAR AND MORE FOR MY DAD THAN FOR ME"

Punctuation and end or paragraph.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 07:51 AM   #18
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

ventilated seats? just turn on your AC.
      08-27-2009, 08:21 AM   #19
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

No wonder they are not going to build a CSL version - everyone wants to drive a brick. PS - dont look at a pcar - you will hate it.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 10:21 AM   #20
Swancoat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Ok let me take a deep breathe and answer your question. It's as simple as "I DON'T LIKE THE LOOK OF THE M5. ITS TO RECTANGULAR AND MORE FOR MY DAD THAN FOR ME"

Punctuation and end or paragraph.
Dude, it's for you. If they added all that stuff to the M3 it would a) get more expensive and b) fall out of favor with enthusiasts who already think the M brand is diluted to death.

I know - it's difficult when the manufacturers make cars that most people want, but it's not the exact car that you want to buy. I've been upset that my M3 doesn't have those features too. I also want it to have 500 HP instead of only 414. Why don't they make this option?!?. Also, it's too expensive. It should only cost 40,000. Why won't BMW make this car?!?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 11:49 AM   #21
aelalfy1989
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swancoat View Post
Dude, it's for you. If they added all that stuff to the M3 it would a) get more expensive and b) fall out of favor with enthusiasts who already think the M brand is diluted to death.

I know - it's difficult when the manufacturers make cars that most people want, but it's not the exact car that you want to buy. I've been upset that my M3 doesn't have those features too. I also want it to have 500 HP instead of only 414. Why don't they make this option?!?. Also, it's too expensive. It should only cost 40,000. Why won't BMW make this car?!?
You guys still don't understand my point. I'm not saying put it standard on the car. I'm saying leave them as options. If someone wants their ass cooled while driving to work they should. If in Toronto the weather is -30 and you enter the car in the morning you want to have heated steering wheel. hmm you want heads up sure why not. You want a backup camera for those tiny downtown streets then you should. ALL AS OPTIONS these things will not add much weight to the car. Some People put aftermarket wheels that are heavier than stock and they don't seem to care. Also you say "it's difficult when the manufacturers make cars that most people want, but it's not the exact car that you want to buy" you forget one thing. It's a German car. I lived in Germany for 8 years and those who drive BMW there don't go crazy with trying to get the car light weight and do this and that they enjoy what they bought. Just because everyone in america wants a car with no back seats and no AC doesn't mean thats what everyone wants. Look at other German made cars and compare the STANDARD features to BMW. you will see audi and mercedes have far more standard features for cheaper price. And thats actually german standards.

Last edited by aelalfy1989; 08-27-2009 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: writing mistakes
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 12:12 PM   #22
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You guys still don't understand my point. I'm not saying put it standard on the car. I'm saying leave them as options. If someone wants their ass cooled while driving to work they should. If in Toronto the weather is -30 and you enter the car in the morning you want to have heated steering wheel. hmm you want heads up sure why not. You want a backup camera for those tiny downtown streets then you should. ALL AS OPTIONS these things will not add much weight to the car. Some People put aftermarket wheels that are heavier than stock and they don't seem to care. Also you say "it's difficult when the manufacturers make cars that most people want, but it's not the exact car that you want to buy" you forget one thing. It's a German car. I lived in Germany for 8 years and those who drive BMW there don't go crazy with trying to get the car light weight and do this and that they enjoy what they bought. Just because everyone in america wants a car with no back seats and no AC doesn't mean thats what everyone wants. Look at other German made cars and compare the STANDARD features to BMW. you will see audi and mercedes have far more standard features for cheaper price. And thats actually german standards.
All these options will still add to the cost of the car whether you have the options or not because BMW would need to have inventory and/or manufacturing equipment to make these options possible. The cost for that equipment would probably be added to the base cost of the car, not just the optional equipment because it would make the option too expensive.