BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

11-07-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
RichB
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 e90

Heading to Welt

Leaving next Saturday to pick up my e90 M3 in Munich. I am beyond excited about the trip. Of course the car is the primary reason to be excited, but driving it on the roads that are very suited for an M3 is going to be an incredible experience. I have been on the 'bahn before....in a Ford Modeno.....got passed by a 5-Series like I was sitting still. Only got to 185kph (115mph). Wish I had my 335i (6MT, SP) instead.

My new baby...Interlagos Blue/beige/carbon, 6MT, Premium, Tech, 19", moonroof, heated seats, ipod, smartphone, premium sound.

I have two young daughters that are in my car nearly everyday, so the sedan was a must. I may have been able to convince my wife that a coupe would work if a sedan was not available.....I am glad BMW gives us the choice.

I do not want to start any debate on proper break-in procedures. People have a lot of passion (and differing opinions) on the topic similar to religion and politics.

My intent is to follow the low(er) rev and speed for ~400 miles before I drive it in a more spirited way. There is no way I could be in Germany on the 'bahn and limit myself. This may be a once in the lifetime event....M3 on the 'bahn and I will not be able to restrict myself.

I have enjoyed reading the posts on this site for the past few months. I have learned a lot.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

I hit vmax at about 2950 miles and the break-in service... it's a ton of fun.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

Weather is crap here in Germany at the moment. Be extremely carefull whwn you pick up your //M, the factory tires PS2 or Contis are not designed for cold wet/freezing weather!
Winter tires are mandatory in Austria from Nov-Apr dont get caught big fines $$$$$$$
Have fun and be safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
antjemac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3 AW/FR

Congrats on the E90. Just ordered Aw/FR E90 last week. I have a 4yr old who will be riding with me practically everyday to daycare. Thank goodness BMW does offer coupe/sedan choice or I would not be able to own this wonderful machine. Have fun in Germany and be careful on cold, wet roads, wifes mom just went back to Berlin yesterday and she said they had quite a bit of snow.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 04:46 PM   #5
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side of the Ocean

Have fun and watch the red light cameras too!
      11-08-2009, 08:57 AM   #6
RichB
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Winter tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trier Germany View Post
Weather is crap here in Germany at the moment. Be extremely carefull whwn you pick up your //M, the factory tires PS2 or Contis are not designed for cold wet/freezing weather!
Winter tires are mandatory in Austria from Nov-Apr dont get caught big fines $$$$$$$
Have fun and be safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the advice on winter tires. I use them on my 335i usually starting in Dec. I checked out edwintertires.com and plan to reserve a set. I will be visiting Salzburg and driving the German Alpine Road to Fussen.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 09:55 AM   #7
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 e92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
Leaving next Saturday to pick up my e90 M3 in Munich. I am beyond excited about the trip. Of course the car is the primary reason to be excited, but driving it on the roads that are very suited for an M3 is going to be an incredible experience. I have been on the 'bahn before....in a Ford Modeno.....got passed by a 5-Series like I was sitting still. Only got to 185kph (115mph). Wish I had my 335i (6MT, SP) instead.

My new baby...Interlagos Blue/beige/carbon, 6MT, Premium, Tech, 19", moonroof, heated seats, ipod, smartphone, premium sound.

I have two young daughters that are in my car nearly everyday, so the sedan was a must. I may have been able to convince my wife that a coupe would work if a sedan was not available.....I am glad BMW gives us the choice.

I do not want to start any debate on proper break-in procedures. People have a lot of passion (and differing opinions) on the topic similar to religion and politics.

My intent is to follow the low(er) rev and speed for ~400 miles before I drive it in a more spirited way. There is no way I could be in Germany on the 'bahn and limit myself. This may be a once in the lifetime event....M3 on the 'bahn and I will not be able to restrict myself.

I have enjoyed reading the posts on this site for the past few months. I have learned a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTROIS View Post
...here's a thought. Get yourself a copy of the navtech dvd with the red light cameras visible on the maps. Just do a in M3post or M5board, then burn a copy as a nice little aid in returning ticket free.

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 12:32 PM   #8
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinjoe64 View Post
...here's a thought. Get yourself a copy of the navtech dvd with the red light cameras visible on the maps. Just do a in M3post or M5board, then burn a copy as a nice little aid in returning ticket free.
I did this for my 08, but the 10 model is on hard drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 09:40 PM   #9
AMOCHOSTO
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: IB BB E90 M3

Quote:

Sounds very similar to my ride, congrats, you'll love it! I wish I had done ED, but my wife was heavily pregnant, my son came 3 weeks after I took delivery. I hope I get to do ED on my next car purchase.

Have fun!

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 09:50 PM   #10
DemoDave
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Interlagos Blue

Enjoy!

I have a sedan 330i, so I was able to get the M3 coupe with no complaints on the home front. Also, it helps to take the spouse with you on the trip.

We have similar cars...we also did Munich to Prague to Salzburg. The picture below is the road back to Munich from Salzburg.

Have a blast, eat, drink, and drive (not while drinking of course).

Here's some shots from the road back to Munich from Salzburg.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 11:37 PM   #11
RichB
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Great pics and beautiful car. I will not have my 19" OEM wheels during my drive in Europe. I ordered winter tires for use during my trip. I hope the wheels are decent looking. Need to look good for the pics in the Bavarian Alps. It is better to be safe than have an accident.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 06:25 PM   #12
DemoDave
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Interlagos Blue

Completely agree. Better to stay safe.

Have a great time!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 10:34 AM   #13
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTROIS View Post
Yep! Nearly got zapped by one of those.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 11:31 AM   #14
carri0n m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x5M

have a blast, I did and did the same thing on your break-in time vs. spirited driving; it was funny, I asked the SA at welt about the break-in procedure and spirited driving and he was like ITS FINE! he said take it easy and then have fun because how often are you going to have the opportunity to drive it on the bahn. have fun, be careful, take a ton of pictures!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 12:17 PM   #15
PoorMan
Hello my name is...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 6MT

Congrats have fun and be safe
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 02:56 PM   #16
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShErM m3 View Post
... have fun because how often are you going to have the opportunity to drive it on the bahn.

Almost every day ....at least when it is not winter.

Smart move on the winter tires. I just put mine away for the winter and was technically violating the law for still running my summers. There has been no real snow in my area of Bavaria, but you will find it in the Alps.

Have a great trip!
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 05:10 PM   #17
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:

Thrash it in germany now and it may be the last thing you do new tyres (not suitable for the weather) engine NOT run-in, car your not used too, MAD.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 05:34 PM   #18
richj777
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
I had a blast there. I swear I saw a strobe light flash me on the Autobahn somewhere in Austria, but I never heard anything. I was doing about 95, but there were no speed limit signs, and the last I saw had the slash through them. Oh well. I drove over 1300 miles there, so I went ahead and opened it up once. It was indicating more than 155.
Here is a pic of my car in Dachau.
Attached Images

2009 E92 JzB/FR/4MX:ZCW:ZPP:ZTP:752:655:6FL:415
3M 20%:3M clear mask:matte black front and side grilles:SilverVision rear turn signals:reflectors delete:Euro headlight switch, w/o front fog button:6000K LED Angel Eyes

Last edited by richj777; 11-12-2009 at 05:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 05:35 PM   #19
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

Quote:
The EXACT same reason I got a Sedan.

Have a fun time
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0