BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

04-17-2010, 08:38 AM   #1
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GMC Sierra

Goodbye M3. Hello GT-R!

Last fall I purchased a 2010 E90 M3 to replace a 2008 Lexus IS-F. I had dreamed of owning an M3 since the early 90's when I was given a chance to drive an E30 M3.

Unfortunately the reality of owning a M3 wasn't what I had hoped. Please don't get me wrong, the M is an amazing car. It does a great job of being practical enough for everyday use yet still feel special when the opportunity comes to push it. If I was going to daily drive a performance car it would be hard to pick something better than the M. However, I found that I wasn't daily driving my M3. Being a small business owner I didn't feel comfortable driving my car to work. I prefer to keep a low profile there. This regulated the M to weekend toy. For me, the M is just a bit too civilized for a weekend toy. I realize mods could have changed this, however I'm somewhat mod adverse.

Enter the 2011 Nissan GT-R. This is a car the has had my attention since day one. I'm a sucker for technology and the GT-R delivers in spades. The comfort and refinement of the M3 are missing, but you can't help but get a smile on your face when you climb into the Nissan. As an extra bonus the car will help you keep to a diet because the seats are pretty tight.

Once I've had the Nissan for a bit I will be better able to determine just how great, or not, the GT-R is. At this point I'm still in the honeymoon period. In a few months I will be able to better know if the GT-R can better meet my wants than the M3 did.

Here are a few pics of my new toy. I'm sorry for the quality. The weather outside sucks today so I was regulated to garage pics.

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
FusionM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Congratulations! Very nice car. Do you plan on taking it to the track?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionM3 View Post
Congratulations! Very nice car. Do you plan on taking it to the track?
I've never spent any time on a track except as a passenger. I'm planning to take a few classes this summer using their cars and then get the GT-R to the track. My dealer is pretty cool about tracking the car, but they did warn me that the GT-R is an expensive track car to maintain.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Beautiful car brother!!! Love the white with black wheels. Of course, i love white sports cars.

Hey, watch that garage door!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 10:19 AM   #5
gongju
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 JBMetallic e92 M3

When did the GT-R become a low profile type of car? Congrats on the car it's a beauty! And yeah watch out for that garage door!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Beautiful car brother!!! Love the white with black wheels. Of course, i love white sports cars.

Hey, watch that garage door!
Thanks!

I've gotten parking in my two car garage down to an art. I have to hug the wall and angle the car in so my kids don't hit it with the doors of my wife's Expedition. Also, I pull in just far enough to allow the door to clear with a couple of inches to spare. This allows me to fully open the door to the fridge that is in front of my car. I keep my beer in this fridge so access is very important
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 10:24 AM   #7
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 2010 GTR

When are you gonna do a mid pipe, intake & AccessPort???

Instant 100-120hp for a little over 2k....
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 10:24 AM   #8
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinetman View Post
Thanks!

I've gotten parking in my two car garage down to an art. I have to hug the wall and angle the car in so my kids don't hit it with the doors of my wife's Expedition. Also, I pull in just far enough to allow the door to clear with a couple of inches to spare. This allows me to fully open the door to the fridge that is in front of my car. I keep my beer in this fridge so access is very important
Just be sure to check and close that door before opening the fridge door and having too many beers! I like your sense of priorities.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 10:25 AM   #9
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gongju View Post
When did the GT-R become a low profile type of car? Congrats on the car it's a beauty! And yeah watch out for that garage door!
It isn't. That is why it won't get driven to work just like my M3 didn't. I've got a Dodge Cummins 3/4 ton truck as a daily driver. It isn't fun to drive, but it gets the job done and is surprisingly nice inside.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 10:42 AM   #10
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW!

LOL, I feel that it was just yesterday when you gave up the IS F, in order to get into the M3. I remember the time when you posted a review within one of your posts, comparing the M3 to the IS F.

Not too long ago, I was even thinking of giving up my M3 for the new GT-R, and one of the Nissan dealerships local to me had the exact same looking GT-R.........Wait a sec, did you get that GT-R from Bankston Nissan in Dallas located off of Dallas North Tollway & 635!!??

You made the right move!

I've also started to like the GT-R more and more as time goes by.

I can understand why you'd be adverse on modding. As you probably already know, I've modded my M3 with all the basic bolt-on's. And if I had a second chance, I would've kept my M3 stock so that I could always keep the peace of mind.

I believe the MSRP on your GT-R was just under $80k, and I hope the dealer gave you some discount off of that. What made me hold off was the fact that I feel the M3 is the right car for me at this stage of my life, yet I still hope to acquire a super car like your GT-R a little later in the future.

I'm completely and absolutely SUBSCRIBED to your full review, comparing your new GT-R against your previous love: The e90 M3.

Many congrats to you!!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 10:44 AM   #11
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Dude, make up your mind...lol. j/k

Congrats on the new beast! We look forward to your evaluation of the new ride.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 10:51 AM   #12
M3Alpine
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 AW/SO

wow congrats... awesome car
2015 AW/SO
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #13
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW!

LOL, I feel that it was just yesterday when you gave up the IS F, in order to get into the M3. I remember the time when you posted a review within one of your posts, comparing the M3 to the IS F.

Not too long ago, I was even thinking of giving up my M3 for the new GT-R, and one of the Nissan dealerships local to me had the exact same looking GT-R.........Wait a sec, did you get that GT-R from Bankston Nissan in Dallas located off of Dallas North Tollway & 635!!??

You made the right move!

I've also started to like the GT-R more and more as time goes by.

I can understand why you'd be adverse on modding. As you probably already know, I've modded my M3 with all the basic bolt-on's. And if I had a second chance, I would've kept my M3 stock so that I could always keep the peace of mind.

I believe the MSRP on your GT-R was just under $80k, and I hope the dealer gave you some discount off of that. What made me hold off was the fact that I feel the M3 is the right car for me at this stage of my life, yet I still hope to acquire a super car like your GT-R a little later in the future.

I'm completely and absolutely SUBSCRIBED to your full review, comparing your new GT-R against your previous love: The e90 M3.

Many congrats to you!!
Thanks.

I bought my car at Grubbs in Hurst. When I was into Jeeps I did a lot of business with them. I've seen more than one Ranger game from the Grubbs suite. The 2011s only come in the Premium trim and sticker for just north of $85k. The invoice on the car is about $80k. I gave a little over invoice, but not much. Being a repeat customer helps some.

To be completely honest I should have gone straight from the IS-F to the GT-R. The M3 is a great car, but I never really connected with it on an emotional level. I'm not really sure why this is because it was the easiest car I have owned to drive fast. The feedback from the chassis and neutral handling gave me plenty of confidence. Maybe the M3 was just too polished for this redneck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
Dude, make up your mind...lol. j/k

Congrats on the new beast! We look forward to your evaluation of the new ride.
You sound like my wife I'm pretty sure if I breath a word about getting another car in the next couple of years she is going to kill me and bury me out back.

I will be happy to give my evaluation once I've had some time with the car. Hopefully the weather will clear up around here so I can get through the break in process ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 01:39 PM   #14
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Congrats on the new car - So, did you trade in the M? Any mods laying around?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 01:48 PM   #15
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

and only 315 available in NA - http://wot.motortrend.com/6619603/au...060/index.html

Great car
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 01:50 PM   #16
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Yes, GT-R a lot more discreet and under the radar than an M3.

NOT.

Either way great car.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 01:52 PM   #17
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

very nice. love it in white. congrats dude.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 02:07 PM   #18
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
Congrats on the new car - So, did you trade in the M? Any mods laying around?
Sorry, no mods laying around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Yes, GT-R a lot more discreet and under the radar than an M3.

NOT.

Either way great car.
I guess my wording in the original post wasn't clear. i didn't buy the GT-R to be more discrete. I bought it because I thought it would make a more fun weekend toy.

When I got the M3 I thought I would use it more since it was a sedan, but I never felt comfortable driving it to work. After I realized I would never feel good driving something that nice to work I decided to say to hell with practical and got the GT-R.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 02:16 PM   #19
oct1285
Captain
Rep
Drives: Out of warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinetman View Post
Sorry, no mods laying around.

I guess my wording in the original post wasn't clear. i didn't buy the GT-R to be more discrete. I bought it because I thought it would make a more fun weekend toy.

When I got the M3 I thought I would use it more since it was a sedan, but I never felt comfortable driving it to work. After I realized I would never feel good driving something that nice to work I decided to say to hell with practical and got the GT-R.
I understood what you were trying to say in your first post. Not everybody believes reading is fundamental. That's a nice car you have, one day I'll follow in your footsteps
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 02:17 PM   #20
gemini330zhp
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

Congrats Beautiful Car. Hmmm makes me wonder whats next after the M3.....

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 02:42 PM   #21
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Water camel

amazing. i love this car
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 03:28 PM   #22
Evan_RS
Captain
United_States