BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

04-26-2014, 08:34 AM   #1
IzzyGray
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Used SC: Tune Options v2

I started the previous thread last night, answered a few replies and woke up to a missing thread. Don't even know what kind of crazy debacles you folks get into while I sleep. I wasn't informed that my question broke any specific forum rules so my guess is stuff, allegations, slander, etc. was thrown and it became a crap storm.

So, trying this again and hopefully it won't turn into whatever it was that caused the thread to be locked. If someone wants to pm me your replies/opinions, that's cool too. Just in case this one gets deleted as well.

I, like many here I bet, don't care about the politics of who-did-what, who-did-whose-sister, etc. Kinda like the whole oil, rod bearing, etc. threads, fervored opinions sidetrack the main question(I've been guilty of this myself). However, there's no reason why we can't be civil about it. So back to the question(gonna try to rephrase it so it doesn't stir as much trouble):

1: Who has bought a used SC kit and went with a tuner that wasn't the kit's manufacturer?
i)Please state specific research that led you to this route?(this might be a slippery slope)
ii)Did you run into problems by going down this route? Functional problems specifically.

2: For those who bought a used SC kit(or those knowledgeable), should one be concerned about the small differences between the kits, as far as the tune goes? Most of these tunes seem to be somewhat canned tunes. In other words, you send your ECU(or they read it remotely), inform them of your mods and they churn out a tune. It's not a dyno-ran, car-specific tune(I believe some places do this but for those running remotely, majority seems to be somewhat canned) Because of this, I'm concerned the differences might not jive well with these somewhat canned tunes. Thoughts?

Play nice or take your ball and leave the playground ;-)
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 09:03 AM   #2
Verify
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

It has nothing to do with politics, but history. Do your own research on which vendors do retune others; their history of tuning in general; and then draw conclusions as to why companies dont want others tampering with their kits.

Options are limited, so it shouldnt take you too long to find the answers your looking for
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 11:40 AM   #3
bubu
Bunny Slayer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT (2013)

+1
Appreciate 0