BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-06-2011, 05:31 AM   #45
RayC
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I drive fast. I will admit I have a lead foot...I average about 9mpg.

I drive fast because:

A. No cops (they don't chase people down and give tickets)
B. Speed cameras are around but the NAV shows/tells you where they all are
C. Very erratic drivers out there in Korea that don't know how to use turn signals.

My logic is that if I'm in front of them in the highway, they can't do me any harm. Sure I could get rear-ended but at least the blame will be on them.

I used to be a super-granny, defensive driver until I nearly got run off the road into a rice-paddy field. I was driving at the speed limit on a one-lane, country road when an old Hyundai Grandeur (Azera) tried to pass me on a blind corner. Idiot couldn't make it in time so when he saw the oncoming car, he veered into my lane. If I hadn't braked in time, he would've rammed off the road.

Ever since then I like to get in front, stay in front, and continue in front until I can't see them in the rear view mirror.

(PS I do track too)
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 07:53 AM   #46
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Anyone who frequents their local track won't have much of a desire to speed on public roads afterwards. My 2c. Probably why you see so many M drivers speeding.. Who knows. Maybe it's because we don't make any low end power and we are all constantly wringing our engines out and not realize how fast we're going ... lol
      07-06-2011, 08:19 AM   #47
Manifold
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche, AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawest19 View Post
It seems like every time I see a decent sports car the driver is driving slow and usually in the right hand lane. M3 driver's appear to be the exception. Just a thought I wanted to share. I'm curious if others notice this phenomenon.
I personally don't see much point in having a performance car if one isn't going to engage in spirited (but safe!) driving on a fairly regular basis. Otherwise, better to just get a pure luxury car.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 08:35 AM   #48
cawest19
Livin' the M life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Sideways through the school zone is the only way to roll
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 08:37 AM   #49
cawest19
Livin' the M life
United_States
Rep

I don't think I've ever seen a Corvette going fast on the highway
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 08:42 AM   #50
alms211
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
I don't think I've ever seen a Corvette going fast on the highway
I tend to agree with you there....although I do get on it fairly often if the opportunity presents itself. I think some of the younger Vette owners like myself (35-45 years old) do as well but the "stereotypical" Vette driver is indeed just cruising.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 08:49 AM   #51
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Anyone who frequents their local track won't have much of a desire to speed on public roads afterwards.
You have to be kidding me, even nascar drivers get pulled over speeding. The track and safe driving have no correlation, you are not taking into account the broad generalization of 'tracking' - just think of all the glory run HPDE drivers.

Anyway, I have two main comments:

1. The NSX code of conduct: While I can't decide if I like it or not, I do like the fact that they encourage owners to keep their cars clean and in good working order. If you want to be a part of the club, take pride in your car keep it clean as much as possible. I like that concept for many reasons.

2. On Speeding, I tend to drive at or around the speed limit but sometimes I play a little. Some people just want to see the M3 get up and go, (most of the time it's just me) There are a few ways to drive fast, there is the jackass way and the smart way. Tailgating, aggressive lane changes and cutting people off are punk moves regardless of speed. But, if you are in an open setting, back road, open highway and you open it up, it's really not all that bad. It's all about your surroundings and density of the roadway.

A smart person will know the difference, a dbag won't.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 08:56 AM   #52
NYCMCBM3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 MCB E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiemyster View Post
M3 drivers have no shame lol
thats me
      07-06-2011, 09:02 AM   #53
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche 911S

The only Lambo I saw in 8 years in NC was speeding like a maniac. The other 5 I saw in Dallas last weekend were slow
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #54
Pointerman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

I'm 43 and drive sane the majority of the time. Open it up a bit when it is safe to do so. Even though I have a massive life insurance policy my wife and kids would prefer to have me around.

I love my family and while I am a car nut; my family is always at the forefront of my mind. I have not had a ticket or accident in over 10 years and I plan on keeping it that way. Not saying I don't speed; I just don't feel that I need to be going faster than everyone else.

OLD GUYS RULE!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #55
Seattle S65B40
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
We should come up with an M3 code of conduct

1. Be respectful towards 335s or other non-M BMWs but never accept an invitation to engage in a pissing contest with them.

2. Always keep your car clean (I like that too)

3. Acknowledge other M3 drivers by throwing up a three finger salute (index, middle and ring finger) while waiving your hand sideways.

4. Don't drive like a douche!

5. ...

What else?

Club 6MT
2008 E92 M3 6MT, AW/Blk Ext., brushed aluminum
2006 E46 M3 ZCP 6MT Carbon blk/blk(sold)
2001 E46 325Xi 5MT Jet Blk/Blk (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 11:08 AM   #56
Mr C
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 Dakar and E90 AW

Sometimes it is nice just to CRUISE (drive slow) and enjoy the scenery in your M3.

I love (oops, I said the “L” word) driving over one of the Canyons (spirited driving of course) to Malibu and then CRUISING (driving slow) up Pacific Coast Highway (the beach) to enjoy the scenery. It is very relaxing!

The only thing is, some people who live in Malibu think PCH is the West Coast Autobahn. Sometimes when I am driving in cruise mode I will get some a-hole behind me in a Honda Accord, and they will get mad because I’m not speeding up PCH in my FLASHY yellow M3. When they pull along side of me to give me a dirty look, I roll-down my window and say, “hey, if you really want to race me in that POS, let’s meet at the track and see what you’ve got.” They usually just flip-me-off and then drive away.
      07-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #57
cawest19
Livin' the M life
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle S65B40 View Post
We should come up with an M3 code of conduct

1. Be respectful towards 335s or other non-M BMWs but never accept an invitation to engage in a pissing contest with them.

2. Always keep your car clean (I like that too)

3. Acknowledge other M3 drivers by throwing up a three finger salute (index, middle and ring finger) while waiving your hand sideways.

4. Don't drive like a douche!

5. ...

What else?
I actually like this idea... you should start a thread (I'm sure you'd get some interesting replies!) #3 sounds kind of lame, and might get you into trouble if you flash that sign in the wrong neighborhood, lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #58
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche 911S

Quote:
I actually like this idea... you should start a thread (I'm sure you'd get some interesting replies!) #3 sounds kind of lame, and might get you into trouble if you flash that sign in the wrong neighborhood, lol.
I second the (new thread) idea..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #59
Seattle S65B40
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
Quote:
I second the (new thread) idea..
Alright. I'll get on it. Give me a minute though. On a plane right now

Club 6MT
2008 E92 M3 6MT, AW/Blk Ext., brushed aluminum
2006 E46 M3 ZCP 6MT Carbon blk/blk(sold)
2001 E46 325Xi 5MT Jet Blk/Blk (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 11:40 AM   #60
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Anyone who frequents their local track won't have much of a desire to speed on public roads afterwards.
I agree with you

I used to be a pretty reckless driver when I was younger, and even now I do some reckless stuff (like see a yellow arrow, speed up and make the left instead of stopping), or downshift to pass the car going 65 in the fast lane.

but after I started tracking recently, I don't have the urge to go fast on the street.
I may floor it in 1st but then I'll stop when I hit 45-50 speed, so 5-10 over the speed limit. I don't want to get a ticket lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAA-C63 View Post
I personally don't see much point in having a performance car if one isn't going to engage in spirited (but safe!) driving on a fairly regular basis. Otherwise, better to just get a pure luxury car.
I beg to differ. See what I wrote above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
if you are in an open setting, back road, open highway and you open it up, it's really not all that bad. It's all about your surroundings and density of the roadway.
I wish we had more of these....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
The only Lambo I saw in 8 years in NC was speeding like a maniac. The other 5 I saw in Dallas last weekend were slow
You've only seen 6 lambos in 8 years??

I see that much per day when I go down to Beverly Hills lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakar92 View Post
Sometimes it is nice just to CRUISE (drive slow) and enjoy the scenery in your M3.

I love (oops, I said the “L” word) driving over one of the Canyons (spirited driving of course) to Malibu and then CRUISING (driving slow) up Pacific Coast Highway (the beach) to enjoy the scenery. It is very relaxing!

The only thing is, some people who live in Malibu think PCH is the West Coast Autobahn. Sometimes when I am driving in cruise mode I will get some a-hole behind me in a Honda Accord, and they will get mad because I’m not speeding up PCH in my FLASHY yellow M3. When they pull along side of me to give me a dirty look, I roll-down my window and say, “hey, if you really want to race me in that POS, let’s meet at the track and see what you’ve got.” They usually just flip-me-off and then drive away.
Strange, I never have had a Honda guy or anything try to race me or anything.
Do you usually take Topanga ? or Kanan? Topanga has so much traffic these days it's unsafe to drive spirited :/

Kanan is wide and great, except there are so many cops...

But yeah, I hear you on cruising on PCH. I love opening the top and taking my girl there for a cruise. Weather is beautiful 70s there versus the 100 in the valley...

Quote:
He's started a couple of decent threads and I think this may be a good addition
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 12:46 PM   #61
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
It seems like every time I see a decent sports car the driver is driving slow and usually in the right hand lane...
Well, around here most of the time it doesn't matter which lane you're in. There's always someone in the fast lane (and all other lanes) who wants to go slow. So, just because someone is in the slow lane around here doesn't mean they want to go slow -- it just doesn't matter.

Having said that, most Corvettes seem to be part of the slower crowd. The ricers, with the fart-can exhausts, are the ones that are always tailgating and passing, only to hit the brakes since they're immediately going to be behind some other slowpoke. So, I just ride along with the traffic at whatever speed they're doing in the lane that seems to have the lesser traffic. However, when I'm on the back roads, ...

Cheers.
      07-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #62
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Anyone who frequents their local track won't have much of a desire to speed on public roads afterwards. My 2c. Probably why you see so many M drivers speeding.. Who knows. Maybe it's because we don't make any low end power and we are all constantly wringing our engines out and not realize how fast we're going ... lol
This is so true. After my HPDE I had no desire to drive fast/aggressive on public roads. Maybe it's safe to assume that M3 owners who drive like douches don't track their cars.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 02:00 PM   #63
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

I don't feel I drive slow, but that doesn't mean I'm racing or driving recklessly. Big difference there. One can drive quickly and in a safe manner. Not sure why the assumption is that one is "driving like a douche" if they're not driving slow and creating traffic.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #64
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
I used to be a pretty reckless driver when I was younger, and even now I do some reckless stuff (like see a yellow arrow, speed up and make the left instead of stopping), or downshift to pass the car going 65 in the fast lane.
Not exactly what I would call reckless.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 02:37 PM   #65
spiff
The Dr
Rep
Drives: M20 Saloon, F800S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
You have to be kidding me, even nascar drivers get pulled over speeding. The track and safe driving have no correlation, you are not taking into account the broad generalization of 'tracking' - just think of all the glory run HPDE drivers.

Anyway, I have two main comments:

1. The NSX code of conduct: While I can't decide if I like it or not, I do like the fact that they encourage owners to keep their cars clean and in good working order. If you want to be a part of the club, take pride in your car keep it clean as much as possible. I like that concept for many reasons.

2. On Speeding, I tend to drive at or around the speed limit but sometimes I play a little. Some people just want to see the M3 get up and go, (most of the time it's just me) There are a few ways to drive fast, there is the jackass way and the smart way. Tailgating, aggressive lane changes and cutting people off are punk moves regardless of speed. But, if you are in an open setting, back road, open highway and you open it up, it's really not all that bad. It's all about your surroundings and density of the roadway.

A smart person will know the difference, a dbag won't.
Best post so far, in addition to "maturity".

I find that the coolest way to drive is at your average 5-10 over on the freeway, but drive smooth and smart enough that your route is more efficient than the guy driving at 25+ over but swerving all over the place.

Less attention = less accidents = less tickets = more time in your car, and for the people around you.

Hitting up track days will certainly gets some of the juices out, but it also puts some juices back into you. It takes the smart driver to realize when and how track manners and technique can be applied to the public roads.

There's a time and a place for anything; when it comes to speeding, driving aggressively, and yada-yada...that time might not be when you're looking at someone in their M3.
      07-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #66
Doctor J
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff View Post
Best post so far, in addition to "maturity".

I find that the coolest way to drive is at your average 5-10 over on the freeway, but drive smooth and smart enough that your route is more efficient than the guy driving at 25+ over but swerving all over the place.

+1

I love doing that