BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

02-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #1563
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post

Sup ya'll

Did downpipes yesterday, all is well except I realized my car is missing the midpipe support bracket, so now my mids are making an extremely obnoxious resonating noise off of something (heat shield, 'vert cross brace, haven't identified yet). After work I'll try to locate the source of the bullshit and wedge a piece of cardboard in between as a stopgap solution, hopefully Tischer or United BMW can get me the parts in the near future. And LOL at people who ask whether full catless smells. Short answer-uh yes. Now that the gaskets have melted/sealed at least the cabin doesnt smell with hvac on, now that was no good.
I have always been amazed at the number of people that have asked that question. It is always very entertaining when you pull up to a light that has a lot of people with windows down looking around for the smell. Even more so right after a good pull with meth
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #1564
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestGolfBum View Post
I have always been amazed at the number of people that have asked that question. It is always very entertaining when you pull up to a light that has a lot of people with windows down looking around for the smell. Even more so right after a good pull with meth
Haha yea, right now between the small smoke plume+smell+resonating sound my car is boarderline embarassing to pull up to a light with, but once I get the vibration nonsense sorted out I'll just chuckle at people smelling the air. I'm happy the cabin smell is 90% gone with hvac on, for the first 30 miles or so after install the smell inside was noxious, but now it's more or less gone. I'm assuming that's the oil buring off the pipes and gaskets sealing that was causing that, I highly doubt I have an exhaust leak. The smell outside I really don't mind, a little whiff of what smells like 2 stroke isn't bad at all.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #1565
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

yoyoyoyo

Quote:
Haha yea, right now between the small smoke plume+smell+resonating sound my car is boarderline embarassing to pull up to a light with, but once I get the vibration nonsense sorted out I'll just chuckle at people smelling the air. I'm happy the cabin smell is 90% gone with hvac on, for the first 30 miles or so after install the smell inside was noxious, but now it's more or less gone. I'm assuming that's the oil buring off the pipes and gaskets sealing that was causing that, I highly doubt I have an exhaust leak. The smell outside I really don't mind, a little whiff of what smells like 2 stroke isn't bad at all.
So you got the pipes installed?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #1566
MidwestGolfBum
North Korea
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, mine took a few hundred miles and the smell in the cabin was all but gone. I'm sure it was the oil/gaskets doing their thing, and all will be well shortly. Did you do the install yourself or somebody do them for you? Seems like there should be a trail for the brace and you shouldn't need to buy a new one. Maybe it's been gone longer and I'm just over thinking these things for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #1567
MrRetep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i M-Sport

Quote:
You have some great quotes, I'm going to run out of signature room at this rate!
thats what happens when I start getting loopy at work! you should make a quote desk calendar. i want 50% of any profit you make.

Unrelated - who wants to try the alpina b3 tcu flash? I ordered my cable last night
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #1568
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angerman View Post
yoyoyoyo

So you got the pipes installed?
Quote:
Yeah, mine took a few hundred miles and the smell in the cabin was all but gone. I'm sure it was the oil/gaskets doing their thing, and all will be well shortly. Did you do the install yourself or somebody do them for you? Seems like there should be a trail for the brace and you shouldn't need to buy a new one. Maybe it's been gone longer and I'm just over thinking these things for you.
Had Adam (Clem on e90) do the install, he's extremely good with N54s, start to finish took maybe 90 minutes....The midpipe brace was gone when we put it on the lift, I have a feeling it was forgotten when my mids were installed a few months back it didn't matter then with the OE downpipes having a support bracket, but now the setup hangs a little bit and something is vibrating, i strongly doubt it's the downpipes as we checked fitment multiple times and the sound seems to be originating from the middle portion of the car (just what i've heard in the 40 miles i've driven with it). My guess is somewhere the midpipe is hitting somethin…just not sure where yet, I'll check it out after work.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #1569
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRetep View Post
thats what happens when I start getting loopy at work! you should make a quote desk calendar. i want 50% of any profit you make.

Unrelated - who wants to try the alpina b3 tcu flash? I ordered my cable last night:happyanim:
So jeally dude....I wants!!!

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #1570
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep

what is this alpina b3 flash you speak of
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #1571
MrRetep
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So jeally dude....I wants!!!
If everything works and I dont end up bricking my transmission, and you can wait. I will be in DC in may and would be willing to assist

Quote:
what is this alpina b3 flash you speak of
Its flash for the tcu on 6at. Someone figured out that the Alpina B3 GT3 has the same transmission we do with updated software and figured out a way to flash it to our tranny. some folks are claiming it now has "near" dct performance. crsiper/faster shifts and its confirmed to fix the timing drop issue from 4-5-6 at wot. since it can hold more torque with the new configuration.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #1572
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If everything works and I dont end up bricking my transmission, and you can wait. I will be in DC in may and would be willing to assist

Its flash for the tcu on 6at. Someone figured out that the Alpina B3 GT3 has the same transmission we do with updated software and figured out a way to flash it to our tranny. some folks are claiming it now has "near" dct performance. crsiper/faster shifts and its confirmed to fix the timing drop issue from 4-5-6 at wot. since it can hold more torque with the new configuration.
I appreciate the offer, but I still have dreams of keeping my CPO warranty, I’m already pushing my luck big time with FBO….If I showed up to the dealer with an Alpina AT flash I’d imagine that would absolutely be the end of that. Then again I’m sure my car will break before May, so I’ll know if my warranty is intact ahead of time. If it’s dunzo, then lets flash this bitch

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #1573
MidwestGolfBum
North Korea
Rep

Quote:
If I ever find the time to do it, and you give me enough quotes, certainly. You can have 80% of profits given you are doing all the work, so to speak.

Quote:
Unrelated - who wants to try the alpina b3 tcu flash? I ordered my cable last night
It's awesome! This is how this car should be from the factory! Shifts are crisp and smooth even though they are faster. The throttle blips on downshifts in manual mode make it even more awesome.

Quote:
Had Adam (Clem on e90) do the install, he's extremely good with N54s, start to finish took maybe 90 minutes....The midpipe brace was gone when we put it on the lift, I have a feeling it was forgotten when my mids were installed a few months back it didn't matter then with the OE downpipes having a support bracket, but now the setup hangs a little bit and something is vibrating, i strongly doubt it's the downpipes as we checked fitment multiple times and the sound seems to be originating from the middle portion of the car (just what i've heard in the 40 miles i've driven with it). My guess is somewhere the midpipe is hitting somethin…just not sure where yet, I'll check it out after work.
That's no good, always sucks when that kind of stuff happens. Too bad you weren't able to catch it before now too, just for the easy of grabbing it and putting it back on. I'm sure dealing with the rattle is just... wonderful
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #1574
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep

Quote:
huh interesting..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #1575
My335iTT
Moooore Power!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Space Grey 335i

ohhh this day needs to get over with so sick of building and fixing SSRS reports

Quote:

thats legit!

SeanE92 - SCAMMER
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #1576
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

That's no good, always sucks when that kind of stuff happens. Too bad you weren't able to catch it before now too, just for the easy of grabbing it and putting it back on. I'm sure dealing with the rattle is just... wonderful
Rolling up to a stop sign in my rattling, smoking BMW? Oh it's the coolest

Days over im peacin outttttt.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 05:32 PM   #1577
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Where do I get this tranny software?

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #1578
Anthony90
Prime Minister of México.
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X6M

we have an interesting safe crackers Colombian gang storming several luxurious houses. Their target are only jewelry and expensive watches.

Just like Mexico City back in the 80s
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #1579
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
i don't think you need software to become a tranny......

change your whole wardrobe and start wearing makeup......
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #1580
MidwestGolfBum
North Korea
Rep

Quote:
Look over on the forum that cannot be named here, they have all the answers you seek.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #1581
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Well I located that damn rattle, the DP flanges are touching eachother everrrr so slightly, which at idle produces a very obnoxious resonance…I’m waiting to get the midpipe bracket on order from Tischer, but in the mean time my ghetto fab solution has been to wedge very small piece of plain cardboard in between the two pipes. So far no noise, and the cardboard hasn’t caught on fire

In all seriousness-does anyone think this is an absolutely terrible idea as a short term (7 days) solution? Those flanges obviously get quite hot…but hot enough to ignite a small piece of cardboard?

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #1582
My335iTT
Moooore Power!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Space Grey 335i

Quote:
no homo?

SeanE92 - SCAMMER
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #1583
MrRetep
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate the offer, but I still have dreams of keeping my CPO warranty, I’m already pushing my luck big time with FBO….If I showed up to the dealer with an Alpina AT flash I’d imagine that would absolutely be the end of that. Then again I’m sure my car will break before May, so I’ll know if my warranty is intact ahead of time. If it’s dunzo, then lets flash this bitch
Warranties are for wimps. real men void warranties on the first day of ownership.

Quote:

It's awesome! This is how this car should be from the factory! Shifts are crisp and smooth even though they are faster. The throttle blips on downshifts in manual mode make it even more awesome.
does it fix the "lunge" from 2-3? I also saw one guy say it also lets you hit the rev limiter now without the auto upshift, can you confirm or deny this?

Quote:
huh interesting..

Quote:
redtube.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony90 View Post
we have an interesting safe crackers Colombian gang storming several luxurious houses. Their target are only jewelry and expensive watches.
Just like Mexico City back in the 80s
booby trap the safes. problem solved. youre welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
i don't think you need software to become a tranny......

change your whole wardrobe and start wearing makeup......
yes the makeup definitely makes a difference, I find that decent quality makeup with some nice heels really complete the transformation.

Quote:
Well I located that damn rattle, the DP flanges are touching eachother everrrr so slightly, which at idle produces a very obnoxious resonance…I’m waiting to get the midpipe bracket on order from Tischer, but in the mean time my ghetto fab solution has been to wedge very small piece of plain cardboard in between the two pipes. So far no noise, and the cardboard hasn’t caught on fire

In all seriousness-does anyone think this is an absolutely terrible idea as a short term (7 days) solution? Those flanges obviously get quite hot…but hot enough to ignite a small piece of cardboard?
well I think cardboard catches fire at around 800f, so if the exhaust doesnt get that hot it wont combust. (any lawyers looking at this because his car caught on fire. I am not responsible for it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by My335iTT View Post
no homo?
its only gay if balls touch.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #1584
MidwestGolfBum
North Korea
Rep

Quote:
Warranties are for wimps. real men void warranties on the first day of ownership.

does it fix the "lunge" from 2-3? I also saw one guy say it also lets you hit the rev limiter now without the auto upshift, can you confirm or deny this?
Who needs a warranty anyway!? I just get my SA a nice gift for his birthday and a bribe for Christmas and I get to do whatever I want. Hell, I had turbos replaced FBO with meth... It's all in how you play the game.

The lunge is gone, at least for me. I haven't driven the car since Monday, so I can't confirm that the auto upshift does or doesn't still work. I have also heard a few people say the same thing, so I'm starting to think that it is true.
Appreciate 0