BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

10-06-2010, 12:21 AM   #1
G.R
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW E93 M3

Attenzione Melbournians

Where are some of the best places around Melbourne to take your M3 out for a nice drive?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 05:35 AM   #2
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 F80, M140i

To my place to get some performance parts installed...
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 01:44 AM   #3
G.R
Private First Class
Rep

Anyway this is what I have come up with to break in my new car tomorrow:
Melbourne - Kinglake - Toolangi - Healesville - Marysville - Warburton - Melbourne
Should be a good 5 hour drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 02:29 AM   #4
OM VT3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 zcp m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew@southernBM View Post
To my place to get some performance parts installed...
haha i must pop past soon andrew!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 02:31 AM   #5
OM VT3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.R View Post
Anyway this is what I have come up with to break in my new car tomorrow:
Melbourne - Kinglake - Toolangi - Healesville - Marysville - Warburton - Melbourne
Should be a good 5 hour drive.
mt donna, mt dandenong or great ocean road how did u even come up with them places they sound boring
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 01:35 AM   #6
G.R
Private First Class
Rep

Just got back. Turned out to be a pretty good driving day. The Healesville - Marysville (Black spur) drive was the pick of the bunch but there was a bit of everything on all the drives. A good mix of windy roads, hairpins, nice straight runs and also some challenging narrow roads. There was not too much traffic and most importantly no cops around. The scenery on this route is obviously not as good as the great ocean road but if you looking for some good driving roads to run your car in this is the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 02:09 AM   #7
OM VT3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Just got back. Turned out to be a pretty good driving day. The Healesville - Marysville (Black spur) drive was the pick of the bunch but there was a bit of everything on all the drives. A good mix of windy roads, hairpins, nice straight runs and also some challenging narrow roads. There was not too much traffic and most importantly no cops around. The scenery on this route is obviously not as good as the great ocean road but if you looking for some good driving roads to run your car in this is the way to go.
haha u think id go to great ocean road just to look at the scenrey its a real good drive and there one road were u turn off at a set of shops i dont know where haha very nice long straight! but the black spur would have been great. how many kms u do, take the roof off? i took the car princes highway last friday night u should see all the people looking its great haha
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 02:21 AM   #8
G.R
Private First Class
Rep

Clocked up around 300km. No roof off today, was quite overcast down that side of town and even rained a bit.

When the weather picks up a bit I'm planning to do the Great Ocean Rd. Probably over a few days though.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 08:05 PM   #9
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S

Garage List
In my opinion the Great Ocean Road is a waste of time in terms of driving but a great sightseeing route. The high police presence, many tourists and frequent turnoffs and sightseeing points enroute make it unsafe and often a pain.

Mt Dandenong I consider unsafe for "driving" as well, many people live beside that that road, it is full of driveways.

I think you found the best road I can think of near Melbourne G.R, either clockwise or anticlockwise Healesville - Black Spur - Marysville - Reefton Spur - Warburton is a winner, with a turnoff at Lake Mountain for a run up and down during the non-winter months.

The highlight of the above roads would be Lake Mountain (but beware of the newer tarmac for the last 5 minutes on hot days) and Reefton Spur, where you will often have half an hour to yourself, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear with not a car in sight.

The Black Spur was great with the 100 speed limit but with the 80 limit that has been there for probably a couple of years now, coupled with the high police presence, I find myself more worried about the speedo than enjoying the road...Those first few turns after Healesville though are probably the greatest bends in existence and in a well balanced car like the M3 will bring a smile to anyone's face!
BMW E92 M3 6MT, G-Power SKII supercharged, custom exhaust with 100 cell cats and Remus Sport mufflers, Brembo 380mm BBK, BMW Performance steering wheel, LUX H8 angel eyes, CF CSL boot, Hamann CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF lip, CF grilles, CF gills, CF bonnet vents, BMW Performance stripes, RAC RG63 wheels, Eibach lowering springs, camber modifications.

Last edited by OzStriker; 10-12-2010 at 08:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 08:43 AM   #10
OM VT3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzStriker View Post
In my opinion the Great Ocean Road is a waste of time in terms of driving but a great sightseeing route. The high police presence, many tourists and frequent turnoffs and sightseeing points enroute make it unsafe and often a pain.

Mt Dandenong I consider unsafe for "driving" as well, many people live beside that that road, it is full of driveways.

I think you found the best road I can think of near Melbourne G.R, either clockwise or anticlockwise Healesville - Black Spur - Marysville - Reefton Spur - Warburton is a winner, with a turnoff at Lake Mountain for a run up and down during the non-winter months.

The highlight of the above roads would be Lake Mountain (but beware of the newer tarmac for the last 5 minutes on hot days) and Reefton Spur, where you will often have half an hour to yourself, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear with not a car in sight.

The Black Spur was great with the 100 speed limit but with the 80 limit that has been there for probably a couple of years now, coupled with the high police presence, I find myself more worried about the speedo than enjoying the road...Those first few turns after Healesville though are probably the greatest bends in existence and in a well balanced car like the M3 will bring a smile to anyone's face!
Great Ocean Road is good if u go at the right time same as the Dandenong but then u will have to worry about things running out and hurting the poor car!!!! i think lake mountain is the best rd i have been to so far but few people have told me very good things about reefton. you cousin was picked up in mt donna with no license about 2 months ago now and the cop was quite nice told us next time have a look first to see if they are around said he was going to send a letter in the mail and he has never got it! any place with no police will make u smile haha
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 06:27 AM   #11
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

Been out of Melbourne for many years now but will be returning hopefully one day in the not so distant future with a E90 M3 Saloon, Yarra Boulevard still a place ppl go or is there a heavy police presence?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 02:42 PM   #12
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S

Garage List
I am sorry to say it isn't 1998 anymore

That road now has a 50 limit, they have narrowed the lanes with curbing along the bike lane and where it was still wide they put islands in the middle and yes, police frequent the spot.

Most people have moved on to the roads mentioned above these days.
BMW E92 M3 6MT, G-Power SKII supercharged, custom exhaust with 100 cell cats and Remus Sport mufflers, Brembo 380mm BBK, BMW Performance steering wheel, LUX H8 angel eyes, CF CSL boot, Hamann CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF lip, CF grilles, CF gills, CF bonnet vents, BMW Performance stripes, RAC RG63 wheels, Eibach lowering springs, camber modifications.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 03:47 PM   #13
G.R
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I had another shot at this the other day and it is quite a drive. I thought the Reefton section was ok and had no cars around but I could never really get out of 3rd gear with the lack of straight runs and all those turns. Nice challenging drive but a little frustrating. Lake mountain was worth checking out. On the way through to Marysville there was an ambulance collecting a guy on a motor bike which I'm tipping from all the signs is very common. The Black spur drive (Marysville-Healsville) is still my favourite. A real good combination of roads and there is definately a few chances to pick the pace up. The next section from Healsville-Lilydale isn't too bad either, a good path to get back into suburbia. You get a good chance to put your foot down where the overtaking lanes begin and there is some nice scenery with wineries on either side of the road.

Any of guys had a crack at track days at Sandown, Calder park or anywhere else?

Last edited by G.R; 10-28-2010 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 04:49 AM   #14
OM VT3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I had another shot at this the other day and it is quite a drive. I thought the Reefton section was ok and had no cars around but I could never really get out of 3rd gear with the lack of straight runs and all those turns. Nice challenging drive but a little frustrating. Lake mountain was worth checking out. On the way through to Marysville there was an ambulance collecting a guy on a motor bike which I'm tipping from all the signs is very common. The Black spur drive (Marysville-Healsville) is still my favourite. A real good combination of roads and there is definately a few chances to pick the pace up. The next section from Healsville-Lilydale isn't too bad either, a good path to get back into suburbia. You get a good chance to put your foot down where the overtaking lanes begin and there is some nice scenery with wineries on either side of the road.

Any of guys had a crack at track days at Sandown, Calder park or anywhere else?
stone chips hahaha id love to but i dont want holes in the paint..........but then again might one day hahaha sandown would be good as
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 08:13 PM   #15
G.R
Private First Class
Rep

Has anyone done this driving course at Phillip Island? http://www.bmw.com.au/com/en/insight...Intensive.html

It's a complimentary gift from bmw for the purchase of the M3 which I will be doing in the next few months. It does sound quite good.

For those that have done it what were your thoughts?
      11-01-2010, 04:37 PM   #16
nez
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

It's a lot of fun. Hot lapping aroung Phillip island in some one elses m3 let's you experience what your can really do without worrying about the car. The other car control exercises are quite fun too. I think you'll be surprised by the performance of the other 'lesser' models as well - the 123d and 325i.

It Phillip island so bring a warm jumper !
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 12:25 AM   #17
G.R
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nez View Post
It's a lot of fun. Hot lapping aroung Phillip island in some one elses m3 let's you experience what your can really do without worrying about the car. The other car control exercises are quite fun too. I think you'll be surprised by the performance of the other 'lesser' models as well - the 123d and 325i.

It Phillip island so bring a warm jumper !
Cheers mate, I am sure it will be well worth the trip down there.

I was just reading up on the Sandown track day and it seems like it would be a pretty good day out also...
http://www.adrenalin.com.au/ultimate...torsport/13986
      11-23-2010, 05:49 PM   #18
G.R
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely spot on, Oz. Did this recently and it really isn't worth the effort if you want to enjoy driving your car. From the freeway entry in South Melbourne to Lorne and back I counted no less than 4 fixed speed cameras and 4 cops on motorbikes with radars giving people fines. By the the time I got past Lorne and on the way to Apollo Bay I got held up in traffic with the people in front going as slow as 40. So I pulled the pin, turned around, enjoyed the scenery and drove on the speed limit back into Melbourne.

Definately only good if you want to go for a casual cruise. Although if there were no cops around and not too much traffic the drive would be fantastic.
      11-23-2010, 07:44 PM   #19
nez
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

In my opinion the only way to fully appreciate what your car can do is by taking it on a track. Public roads are just too risky for spirited drive these days.

I just cane back from a track day at wakefield in the m3 and loved every minute of it. Drove up for 7 hours carrying a boot full of gear that my other mates didn't have the space for , had climate contol on the whole time , getting 10 l/100km an then caning it around the track for a day was the best fun. Ever. Not too many cars can do that the way an m3 can.

I'm planning my next track day for next year. Might give the guys out a driver dynamics a shot. I think they use sandown.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #20
anthonygilbo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Has anyone done this driving course at Phillip Island? http://www.bmw.com.au/com/en/insight...Intensive.html

It's a complimentary gift from bmw for the purchase of the M3 which I will be doing in the next few months. It does sound quite good.

For those that have done it what were your thoughts?
I've did this course down at the island in Feb this year and it was alot of fun. I also paid to do the M Dynamics course a couple of days later which was even better. All day course driving only M3's in M Dynamic mode on one of the best tracks in the world, how could you not like it!!

E46 M3 GTR Race Car
1988 E30 320i track car with 2.7L stroker engine and all the trimmings.
E36 M3 Race Car
Appreciate 0