BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-25-2008, 09:55 PM   #155
GAM3OVR85
Major General
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 Sea-Doo RXT-X 260  [9.00]
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
IS-F LOL!!

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 10:21 PM   #156
ToothDoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 TTS, CLA 45 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJ View Post
Your service bill in 28 months was ONLY $300? How much mileage did you have on your car when you got rid of it...10,000? lol
First one at 5K was free @Lexus. 10k, 15k, 20k, 25k services were somewhere between 50-60 bucks for Mobil 1 synthetic. Everything about the car was flawless - windshield wipers were practically brand new still (I like Rain-X instead of wipers), the air filter could've been changed - I actually had a new one sitting around but donated it after I sold my car to Carmax. The car actually cost me less than 500$ a month (not including gas and winter tires) throughout the 28months.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 10:23 PM   #157
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

haters ftl..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 10:49 PM   #158
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToothDoc View Post
I think the difference in your packaged 335i and the way I did it is probably 5K for the BMW forged 19" rims, 1,250 for the M aero package, and 1,400 for active steering. The way I had it configured, it comes out to be about $58,775. So still, you figure 51-52K - but you add $1,500 tune, aftermarket 19" forged rims and tires (that's still like 3-5K) and now there's only 5K difference. Still, the 335i sound system isn't as good as the Mark Levinson sound system - can you even get an in-dash 6 disc DVD changer for the 335i? For somebody that NEEDS an automatic, the 8 speed auto in the IS-F is aguably one of THE best slushboxes in the world. It's LS460 smooth when you want it, it's super efficient when you want it, and it's pretty agressive and sporty when you want it to be. What kind of price do you put on that kind of autobox? 2K? 3K?

I'm not trying to justify the price of the IS-F. Honestly, I'd be happier if it were 10K cheaper... I'm just merely saying in an apples to apples comparison to the 335i comparably equipped, the IS-F isn't so overpriced. BTW, did you ever see the underside of the IS-F? It's almost a true dual 2.5" exhaust. It's pretty good for a stock exhaust.

For horrible parallel parkers, the front and rear parking sensors with backup camera really makes it brainless. Not to mention the side mirrors moving down to wheel level so we don't curb our rims.

Too bad they did away with the ventilated seats - they were great in the IS350... But there are a lot of just little things that the IS-F has. Steering HID headlights for one - work great in the country where lighting isn't so good. Headlamp washers when you're driving in a lot of snow/slush. All LED lighting. Exterior puddle LED lights that light up around your car when you get near it. Keyless entry and pushbutton start (yeah, sounds dumb - but after getting used to it, you'll never look back).

The brakes on the IS-F are 14.2 inch Brembos on front and 13.x something in the rears. All I can say is that they work flawlessly. Some magazines say they're too grabby - but I don't find they're too grabby at all (only the first few times you hit it when you first get the car, but after that, you get used to the awesome brakes).

Stying is purely subjective - the 335i looks great - I'll give you that, but in my eyes, the IS looks great too. Definitely a different style that you'd either hate or like.

I know that BMW service is included but how many services do you get? In the 28 months I had my IS350, my total service bill was only 300 bucks or so - yeah, I took it to the cheap 10 minute oil change places next to my work and used Mobil 1 synthetic. I fully plan on taking my IS-F to it too.

You guys are right - BMW is more sport than luxury and Lexus is more luxury then sport but the IS-F is more sport than the 335i. IS-F is less sport than the M3 though. If you haven't actually driven in the IS-F, please don't bother to comment about how much sportier the 335i is.

AND, one last thing - I'm not interested in playing with too much fire (ie: destroying a 20K engine and having it not covered under warrantee). It's already dangerous that I take it to the drag strip and the track - I'm fully aware that any accidents at the track won't be covered. One reason why I'm considering a more affordable track car that's cheap to repair - I'm thinking 350Z. Used they're dirt cheap and they handle pretty well.
FYI, Toothdoc -- my 335i has rotating Xenon headlights, the passenger side ext. mirror which not only automatically swivels down when in reverse, but also both mirrors fold in when you park. In addition, my 335i Bimmer has Real-Time Traffic Info (at no extra cost I might add) via wireless transmissions from Clear Channel FM stations, downward LED lighting at the door handles, keyless entry/locking just by touching the door handle and push button start, an excellent good HK Logic 7 sound system, phenomenal brakes, a true dual exhaust, 6 speed Auto ZF tranny which shifts in 100ms, AND radar guided Active Cruise Control...not to mention a few other goodies; all for an MSRP of $53k (although purchase price of $49.5k). Then, you can add your $1,500 tune, and for $51k, you can be faster than the more expensive and less attractive IS-F! My wheels are extra, of course...but who keeps the oem wheels anyhow?

I'm not saying the IS-F is bad (I happen to like Lexus as I mentioned I've driven 3 of them in th past), but the Toyota/Lexus technology is no better than BMW at this time. BMW happens to make better high performance sports coupes & sedans. While Lexus is trying to change that image a bit with the IS-F, I still believe that the cushy, luxury status of a Lexus remain the mainstay image desired by the "older" and more prominent Lexus drivers like my 84-year-old dad and 78-year-old mom (who own & drive a Lexus).

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |

Last edited by sflgator; 06-25-2008 at 11:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 01:02 AM   #159
gshb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slow

i would actually look forward to a 2nd gen IS-F though...if it survives just one generation. after all, most say the e30 m3 was the best and that car was the second to be made by the m division.
Appreciate 0