BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

12-30-2013, 11:04 PM   #111
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Transmission is only about preference.
Actually it's not. It's a lifestyle choice.

The MT says: Step up partner and let's see what we can do in this car today. It may be beautiful, it may be ugly but whatever it is, we will do it together.

The DCT says: Let me handle this, why don't you just sit back and have another Big Gulp.

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #112
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Op is prob shopping audis by now.

Oh wait they have awd and skinny wheel bmw jokes lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 11:09 PM   #113
AirbusPilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i

NASCAR or Formula 1?

Choose your transmission accordingly.

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 11:27 PM   #114
M3Captain
Banned
Greece
Rep
Drives: M3 and a McDonnell Douglas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusPilot View Post
NASCAR or Formula 1?

Choose your transmission accordingly.

I am absolutely in awe of my DCT gearbox. I had a 6MT and now a DCT, and let me tell you the car is a whole 'nother animal. It should have come DCT only….

You can't even get a new GT3 with a manual gearbox…. they don't offer it anymore…. and there is a reason. The gearbox is just that amazing.

I'm sure BMW would love to go straight DCT as it will save production costs… they just offer the 6MT for those who really want it.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 11:38 PM   #115
e-solo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Same god damn cow but different ways to experience it.
You want a Big Mac that tastes that same every single time & can be devoured super quick? Get DCT.
Don't mind a little work for a nice piece of steak? Get 6MT.

I like metaphors
I like them too. Got a chuckle out of that one.

It's no doubt the MT is a more pure racing culture. I chose DCT because the M is my daily driver and I don't track at all. I'm also very lazy and prefer the damn gearbox to do the work for me. I drove MT all my life, it's my time to relax and drink my damn big gulp and eat my Big Mac. Lol!!!

Last edited by e-solo; 12-30-2013 at 11:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 07:35 AM   #116
Koldun
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Wow, a lot of little dicks with fragile egos in here.

The op by now probably decided to cut his losses and bought himself a nice KIA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashman View Post
Driver error, misuse, abuse, etc. Can't pin this on MT
Yes, because everyone is perfect every time, particularly in stressful track situations, Or especially those service techs at your dealership that drive your car, I'm sure they execute fluid shifts every time to put the DCT to shame.

I weep on the inside every time I see a tech or valet grinding out a MT.

And all this talk of is the gearbox shitty or is it the previous driver or that one time you moved it when you were drunk, etc. etc., I thought the MT was the durable option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-solo View Post

It's no doubt the MT is a more pure racing culture. I chose DCT because the M is my daily driver and I don't track at all. I'm also very lazy and prefer the damn gearbox to do the work for me. I drove MT all my life, it's my time to relax and drink my damn big gulp and eat my Big Mac. Lol!!!
Yep, the main advantage of the DCT as far as I can tell is not so much the performance, but the convenience of letting it do the work when you're stuffing your face or are fucked up. I don't eat in my car, personally, but yeah... it's the little things.

I don't know about "more pure racing culture", though. It is certainly more raw and old school, but racing is a as much a technology race as one of driving skill, and most hardcore race cars are running automatic transmissions. The MT is more about the Fast&Furious culture if anything, what with their 30-gear gearboxes.

And while we're comparing transmissions to lifestyle choices and steaks, how about Asian massage parlors? The DCT finishes the massage with a perfectly executed handjob, the MT driver pushes the girl away and jerks off himself.

Last edited by Koldun; 12-31-2013 at 07:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 08:45 AM   #117
GreeKon
It ain't gonna suck itself
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldun View Post
And while we're comparing transmissions to lifestyle choices and steaks, how about Asian massage parlors? The DCT finishes the massage with a perfectly executed handjob, the MT driver pushes the girl away and jerks off himself.
It's so true...I do it way better than any girl ever could.

Best....Thread.....EVER!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 09:14 AM   #118
gazosnic
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

i was in the same boat.

For me: DCT is better in traffic, straight line drag race, and on track
Manual is better for open roads where you can push the car

It was very close call, but I ultimately bought 6mt for the fear that DCT may get dull after the coolness effect wears off. Also I plan on keeping the car for a long time and I know fixing a manual trans will be MUCH cheaper. Also if technology advances in the next few years DCT could seem out of date.

There are alot of considerations and I think the positive is that either way i think they are both great transmissions with different attributes. If its a weekend car to just cruise around in for fun i'd get 6mt, if traffic or heavy track car, id get DCT.

Good luck! Its a great car either way.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 09:37 AM   #119
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Always a good read ... this holiday weekend should add a few more pages to this thread.

Happy New Year to All you ///M Drivers

and

Safe and Happy Trails Always

be it MT or DCT

Be Safe

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 09:40 AM   #120
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

i'd always choose 6MT whenever there's an availability, especially for high end sports car like the M3 or Carrera
      12-31-2013, 10:06 AM   #121
Koldun
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazosnic View Post
Also I plan on keeping the car for a long time and I know fixing a manual trans will be MUCH cheaper. Also if technology advances in the next few years DCT could seem out of date.
Being cheaper to fix I can see, but I never understood the out of date argument. Do you go without nav since in a few years it will be out of date? Why bother buying a performance car at all when the new cars will perform better? And all this from someone with a MT, the most dated piece of technology in these cars other than the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 10:08 AM   #122
e-solo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldun
Wow, a lot of little dicks with fragile egos in here.

The op by now probably decided to cut his losses and bought himself a nice KIA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashman View Post
Driver error, misuse, abuse, etc. Can't pin this on MT
Yes, because everyone is perfect every time, particularly in stressful track situations, Or especially those service techs at your dealership that drive your car, I'm sure they execute fluid shifts every time to put the DCT to shame.

I weep on the inside every time I see a tech or valet grinding out a MT.

And all this talk of is the gearbox shitty or is it the previous driver or that one time you moved it when you were drunk, etc. etc., I thought the MT was the durable option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-solo View Post

Yep, the main advantage of the DCT as far as I can tell is not so much the performance, but the convenience of letting it do the work when you're stuffing your face or are fucked up. I don't eat in my car, personally, but yeah... it's the little things.

I don't know about "more pure racing culture", though. It is certainly more raw and old school, but racing is a as much a technology race as one of driving skill, and most hardcore race cars are running automatic transmissions. The MT is more about the Fast&Furious culture if anything, what with their 30-gear gearboxes.

Once in a while you get so hungry late night, you have to throw down the burger and fries or tacos. Try not to eat in the car for the most part.

I stand corrected on the pure racing culture thing. You described it much better with raw and old school. I agree!

Epic thread for sure! Hahahaha!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 10:34 AM   #123
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreeKon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldun View Post
It's so true...I do it way better than any girl ever could.

Best....Thread.....EVER!

Just have her watch?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 11:05 AM   #124
M3-S65
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Plenty of seat time in both and will choose 6MT every single time.
It all depends on your preferences. Plenty of reasons to choose DCT: your wife drives it, 0-60 times, track times, comfort, smoothness, something new, tech factor. Drivers who choose 6MT feel the aforementioned factors are not enough to justify compromising the physical mechanical connection to driving a performance car. All preference.

Some like their beef grounded up and packed into a burger that can be picked up anytime by anyone and eaten within a few minutes. It's a fast meal, gets the job done, your kids love it, no regrets.
Others would rather have beef in the form of a steak at a dinner table with a fork and knife. It may take longer to eat, require more finesse, and be harder to find and justify, but the experience and feeling is just that much more rewarding.

I chose the steak.
Some people choose fast food.
Some people go back and forth.
Either way, as long as your appetite is adequately fulfilled with no regrets, that's all that matters.
What if you don't eat red meat?

Last edited by M3-S65; 12-31-2013 at 11:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 11:39 AM   #125
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Well, since the steak analogy seems to have gained some traction, allow me to offer a different perspective on it.

Your MT6'er is like the old school "dad" at the BBQ. Light a fire, throw it on. Usually it turns out great, occasionally, it get's a lil burnt or undercooked. The more you do it, the more often it turns out great. Brute force FTW.

Your M-DCT'er is like a trained chef. Careful measurements, precision. It is about consistent execution. Precision and consistency FTW.

Either way, you're eating a steak.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 11:59 AM   #126
e-solo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Well, since the steak analogy seems to have gained some traction, allow me to offer a different perspective on it.

Your MT6'er is like the old school "dad" at the BBQ. Light a fire, throw it on. Usually it turns out great, occasionally, it get's a lil burnt or undercooked. The more you do it, the more often it turns out great. Brute force FTW.

Your M-DCT'er is like a trained chef. Careful measurements, precision. It is about consistent execution. Precision and consistency FTW.

I like that one.

Hear that you old dads, quit burning the damn steak. I will enjoy my perfectly cooked steak by my trained chef. We have a clear winner! Best analogy yet!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 12:15 PM   #127
GreeKon
Rep

I'll keep my 6spd and buy a George Foreman Grill.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 12:21 PM   #128
e-solo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreeKon View Post
I'll keep my 6spd and buy a George Foreman Grill.
That goes against the premise. The old dad wants to keep the steak juicy, foreman grill will dry it out for sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 12:29 PM   #129
GreeKon
Rep

This is making me hungry. I hate you all equally.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #130
e-solo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreeKon View Post
This is making me hungry. I hate you all equally.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 05:35 PM   #131
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

I have had my e93 with DCT for over five years now and over 70k miles - I have been on vacation for a week and I still can't wait to get home to drive it - have NEVER gotten bored with DCT - so tranny choice is purely subjective - also never had a single mechanical issue with the DCT either.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 07:26 PM   #132
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl

At least I'm actually the "dad" in your scenario, with the satisfaction of getting it right after years of practice at my craft.

With the flappy paddles, you might as well be in the passenger seat, telling your "chef" when to perform that perfect downshift.
Appreciate 0