BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-16-2014, 04:55 PM   #243
Koldun
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute View Post
Yep, theft deterent. Add it to the list
Unfortunately, for every thief thwarted, there will be five valets and BMW service techs grinding your gears.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 06:59 PM   #244
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldun View Post
Unfortunately, for every thief thwarted, there will be five valets and BMW service techs grinding your gears.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 07:18 PM   #245
Eau Rouge
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
First of all, wrong. MT is the wrong choice.

You guys are letting this bonfire burn out? I brought some more of the same wood.

The problem with manual transmissions is that it does nothing of use better than a DCT can. It's slower and as a human, I am much more prone to making a mistake while driving. When I hear an M3 accelerate and shift all slow without the crisp popping cutoff sound of the DCT, I get SO SAD that it's just another slower M3 that isn't what it could have been.

It'd be one thing if you guys were championing an old technology such as a record player that actually plays a format that no digital format could replicate. That's fine....analog sound is pretty epic when played through the right vacuum tubes.

But besides this "fun factor" of wanting to be a slave to your transmission, what about MT is better? I absolutely love that Porsche came out and shunned all of the relics out there who choose MT and said f*** off. The GT3 is too good to be mated to an outdated technology from decades ago.

Also, whoever said it above, don't kid yourself. DCT is not what F1 uses. Even the DTM M3 goes with a sequential gearbox instead of a dual clutch. I don't think any real racing series such as LMP1/2 GT/ DTM/F1/Indy/GP2/GP3/ETCC/WRC/ NASCAR* etc. uses dual clutch transmissions.

Also, in the case that whatever older car in question comes in a traditional planetary gear automatic vs a manual, I choose the manual every time. In that case, the MT is faster, as reliable and more fun than a slow shifting fully automatic bore-me-to-death gearbox.

*LOL
Funny post is funny.

Why do you see it as your mission to "inform" others that their preference isn't the best for them? We already have d-bags in D.C. doing the same thing and no one is sending them THANK YOU cards. I hope you're not expecting a card from anyone.

Good day.
      01-18-2014, 12:50 AM   #246
Lute__
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 JB M3

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 03:01 AM   #247
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eau Rouge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
First of all, wrong. MT is the wrong choice.

You guys are letting this bonfire burn out? I brought some more of the same wood.

The problem with manual transmissions is that it does nothing of use better than a DCT can. It's slower and as a human, I am much more prone to making a mistake while driving. When I hear an M3 accelerate and shift all slow without the crisp popping cutoff sound of the DCT, I get SO SAD that it's just another slower M3 that isn't what it could have been.

It'd be one thing if you guys were championing an old technology such as a record player that actually plays a format that no digital format could replicate. That's fine....analog sound is pretty epic when played through the right vacuum tubes.

But besides this "fun factor" of wanting to be a slave to your transmission, what about MT is better? I absolutely love that Porsche came out and shunned all of the relics out there who choose MT and said f*** off. The GT3 is too good to be mated to an outdated technology from decades ago.

Also, whoever said it above, don't kid yourself. DCT is not what F1 uses. Even the DTM M3 goes with a sequential gearbox instead of a dual clutch. I don't think any real racing series such as LMP1/2 GT/ DTM/F1/Indy/GP2/GP3/ETCC/WRC/ NASCAR* etc. uses dual clutch transmissions.

Also, in the case that whatever older car in question comes in a traditional planetary gear automatic vs a manual, I choose the manual every time. In that case, the MT is faster, as reliable and more fun than a slow shifting fully automatic bore-me-to-death gearbox.

*LOL
Funny post is funny.

Why do you see it as your mission to "inform" others that their preference isn't the best for them? We already have d-bags in D.C. doing the same thing and no one is sending them THANK YOU cards. I hope you're not expecting a card from anyone.

Good day.
I will not choose the automatic drift function when available neither lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 03:08 AM   #248
ManAndMachine
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80M3 BG KO, '17 Taco Pro

Nothing like a perfectly executed heal toe maneuver

DCT is makes the car too easy to drive and gets boring after the initial high wears off.

Manual keeps to on your toes,if you know what i mean

I'm keeping this car till the wheels fall off,so the simplicity of the manual gives me piece of mind as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 05:56 AM   #249
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldun
Quote:
Yep, theft deterent. Add it to the list
Lol

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 12:42 PM   #250
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

Looks like Seinfeld is Team DCT:

Q: Are you disappointed that Porsche has started to move away from manual transmission availability in some of their higher-end cars (911 turbos, GT3, etc.)? Or are you a big enough fan of the technology and the improved shift times (or just otherwise don't care) that you are ok with the PDKs?

A: Not disappointed. PDK is the future. If you've driven a great PDK, you'll get it.

I agree that PDK/DCT is the future, inevitably (although the C7 engineers apparently disagree).

I'll sure I'll own one in the future. Happily rowing my own for now...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 03:40 PM   #251
grantmax
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Would not use valets as I never trusted them for a slew of reasons. BMW techs (when I was still using them) never had an issue driving a standard shift.

I guess things are quite different across the pond, as evidenced by this muppet who couldn't steal a standard shift car
What's a standard shift?

"Valet-only" places are quickly becoming the standard.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 03:44 PM   #252
Craigy
Sporty Puristic 6
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesaddiction View Post
Looks like Seinfeld is Team DCT:

Q: Are you disappointed that Porsche has started to move away from manual transmission availability in some of their higher-end cars (911 turbos, GT3, etc.)? Or are you a big enough fan of the technology and the improved shift times (or just otherwise don't care) that you are ok with the PDKs?

A: Not disappointed. PDK is the future. If you've driven a great PDK, you'll get it.

I agree that PDK/DCT is the future, inevitably (although the C7 engineers apparently disagree).

I'll sure I'll own one in the future. Happily rowing my own for now...
Hahaha yeah saw that on Jalopnik.

WE GOT SEINFELD ON OUR SIDE.

The M3 has one of the best dual clutch systems, so it's definitely worth a try.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 09:30 PM   #253
grantmax
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Wikipedia is your friend
Huh? I've heard of encyclopedia.

Is this something from the Wikileaks scandal?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 01:17 AM   #254
grantmax
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Judging by your "clever" response, I'm going to hit the library to research first thing tomorrow.

Maybe you meant Wifipedia? That would make more sense.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 10:49 PM   #255
spmd11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Wow.. I wonder if the OP has had the time to read each post..

Anyhow, I own a 2008 e90 M3 with 6 speed and a 2013 e93 with DCT.

Here is how it goes down; there is no right answer. if I drive my 6 speed, I love it, but I miss the things I like about DCT. If I drive my DCT, I love it also, but I miss the things I like about 6 speed. If you have one, you long for the other..

The only therapy is to own one of each like I do. If you are not able to by 2 M cars, buy the first M that you are in love with and don't worry about the transmission cause both are awesome.
      01-25-2014, 12:32 AM   #256
Koldun
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmax View Post
Huh? I've heard of encyclopedia.

Is this something from the Wikileaks scandal?
Not sure if serious...
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 02:52 PM   #257
BTB
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2003 Imola Red M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spmd11 View Post
Wow.. I wonder if the OP has had the time to read each post..

Anyhow, I own a 2008 e90 M3 with 6 speed and a 2013 e93 with DCT.

Here is how it goes down; there is no right answer. if I drive my 6 speed, I love it, but I miss the things I like about DCT. If I drive my DCT, I love it also, but I miss the things I like about 6 speed. If you have one, you long for the other..

The only therapy is to own one of each like I do. If you are not able to by 2 M cars, buy the first M that you are in love with and don't worry about the transmission cause both are awesome.
I have a 6MT and I long for a 6MT But, mine's an E46 so not exactly the same comparison.

I'm sure DCT can be fun as well
Appreciate 0