BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

01-30-2010, 03:36 PM   #45
Epik
Awesome & Likes Cookies
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M5

With the new 458, the other ferraris look old. Plus you don't want ferrari maintenance, especially older ones.

Porsche is pretty dull but if you like the look, sure. R8 is nice as is the GTR. Not a bad problem to have, choosing between these cars.

For a DD, I'd get a GTR and mod carefully as to not void the warranty. It's already plenty beastly.

If you want more sense of occasion and acceleration at higher speeds, there's no better value than the 560-4 in a tasteful color.

Last edited by Epik; 01-31-2010 at 05:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 12:00 AM   #46
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

if you are gonna actually drive the car then def have alot of extra money on the side for oh shit money if you get the F430. if your gonna make it a garage queen like most do then the F430 is awesome if that is all you can spend

if you can spend no more then what you listed and actually want to drive the car then i would say GT3 RS

me personally if i ever get enough money to get an F car it would be a Stradale or a Scuderia or the new 458 is just sick. if your gonna go that far mine as well get the best of it

and for the sensitive folk when i said drive it i meant put more miles on it then most do that own a F car, you know the ones that have a F 430 and it only has 800 miles on it and it is an 04.

i come from nothing if i was gonna buy that car i would drive that bitch all the time as much as i can.

i never understand the people that buy these kinda cars just to be garage queens

anyway good luck in your choice

oh and on something that expensive i would make sure you get not just one PPI but maybe a few from some good independent shops that would have no affiliation with the owner etc

H

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
Very recently I got a nice offer: a 2007 Ferrari 430 (not the Scuderia, but the regular 430) very low milage - below 3K. Nice red with tan interior, garage kept (of course) and no damage of any sort.
For the same money however ($130K) you can get a new Porsche GT3 RS or an Audi R8 (v8) or a GTR (and something else).

I cannot drive the car due to the weather right now. I have never driven a F430 or the GT3RS or the Audi R8 for that matter. The closest I got some experience is the 997 911C2S which is not that impressive. I did not like the up and down motion of the front end and I had issues with trail braking etc. Being honest I prefer the Cayman S over the 911S behavior onthe track.
I would appreciate any feedback regarding any difference between the GT3 and regular 911 C2S, or any experience with any of the listed cars.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 12:41 AM   #47
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E93 M3, '12 750ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
if you are gonna actually drive the car then def have alot of extra money on the side for oh shit money if you get the F430. if your gonna make it a garage queen like most do then the F430 is awesome if that is all you can spend

if you can spend no more then what you listed and actually want to drive the car then i would say GT3 RS

me personally if i ever get enough money to get an F car it would be a Stradale or a Scuderia or the new 458 is just sick. if your gonna go that far mine as well get the best of it

and for the sensitive folk when i said drive it i meant put more miles on it then most do that own a F car, you know the ones that have a F 430 and it only has 800 miles on it and it is an 04.

i come from nothing if i was gonna buy that car i would drive that bitch all the time as much as i can.

i never understand the people that buy these kinda cars just to be garage queens
anyway good luck in your choice

oh and on something that expensive i would make sure you get not just one PPI but maybe a few from some good independent shops that would have no affiliation with the owner etc

H
There was no F430 in 04, but I see your point.

The reason many dont drive them is because they dont want to put unnecessary mileage on them. How many ferraris do you see with high MILES? VERY FEW
They would suffer enormously when it comes to resale. Ferraris and HIGH Mileage dont go hand in hand!

A lot of owners purchase them and hold on to them and would then keep it until the new one comes out, and maybe perhaps if they like the NEW style they buy that one too , its a GARAGE collection and it keeps on getting bigger and bigger!

At least thats what I have seen in Canada.
Most ferraris on autotrader have less then 20,000KM (very few have more then 30,000KM< AND BARELY any with more then 70,000 km )

http://www.autotrader.ca/result/resu...nlabel=Ontario

And yes some owners just sell them before its due for its first service
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 12:21 PM   #48
moosety2009
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Maserati spyder/BMW z4

If you want the best bang for your buck, a super car you can drive everyday and not feel pressure, something that is reliable, more affordable to maintain than any other super car, will attract a LOT of attention because it's still new, yet not seem so outragious, a car you can mash your brains around in a corner, or go for a nice easy long "grand-tourer" drive, spend less money, and use the rest for whatever upgrades you want, go with the GTR!

There is no better car on the market right now that gives you most of everything you want in one package!

That said, the rest of the cars you listed, the Audi, the Porsche, the Ferrari, all do some things very well, and others not so! However, what happens is that they become "sunday" only cars because of all their quirks (exception maybe the Audi), because they become either too loud to drive all the time, too much in terms of unpractical and "common" (the Porsche), and not fun to maintain (the F430 and it's clutch issues).

So Get the GTR, keep the rest of the cash in your wallet for upgrades when you see fit, drive it everyday (in any weather condition) and still have the performance to destroy all the other mentioned cars around a track without breaking sweat!

Cheers and good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 12:28 PM   #49
moosety2009
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Maserati spyder/BMW z4

Just to follow up on my post, I don't envy any of the above mentioned cars since I bought my GTR. Couldn't be more happy! Sure I would love to have a warehouse full of great cars, but shy being able to do that, I needed something that does a lot of things as well as possible! So for me the GTR truly is an amazing piece of engineering, practicality, performance, and maintainable.

I drove it in the snow on purpose yesturday to see how it would do, the AWD system kicked in when I hit a patch of ice and the thing was astounding in terms of regaining control! (keep in mind, I have summer performance tires on this thing).

BTW, the only other car I would concider getting outside of the GTR is a Bentley Continental GT S. That thing is AWSOME! A used one with low milage can easily be found for your budget of 130k!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 12:55 PM   #50
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

I say a 997.2 GT3/GT3RS (if you can get the RS, very unlikely tho).
GT3 is an everyday exotic car, not as flashy or high maintanence as F430 but just as good. You probably know which car I am saving up for. =)
I think it sounds very much exotic as is, but with just a little bit of help, it can turn into one of the sweetest machines on the road

Again, my opinion on what I'd do if given the chance. Anyways, you are a very lucky guy to have this sort of "headache" lol
GL with your choice.
      01-31-2010, 01:14 PM   #51
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

yeah sorry bout the year mistake but you know what i meant

that is just it though if you are well off enough to own a F car and pay for all required maintence etc then who cares if it goes down in value bc you drove it. isn't that the point of buying a car to drive it?? buy a painting then if you don't want its value to drop

i could see rare classic cars not being driven much like a F 250 GTO or other rare cars that actually go up in value

but me if i have the money to go that route then i am gonna drive it like i stole it and not give 2 shits what it is worth when the ride is over

i am sure alot of rich guys buy it for the status thing then don't drive it or ones that have no game and use it to impress the ladies etc too lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 vert View Post
There was no F430 in 04, but I see your point.

The reason many dont drive them is because they dont want to put unnecessary mileage on them. How many ferraris do you see with high MILES? VERY FEW
They would suffer enormously when it comes to resale. Ferraris and HIGH Mileage dont go hand in hand!

A lot of owners purchase them and hold on to them and would then keep it until the new one comes out, and maybe perhaps if they like the NEW style they buy that one too , its a GARAGE collection and it keeps on getting bigger and bigger!

At least thats what I have seen in Canada.
Most ferraris on autotrader have less then 20,000KM (very few have more then 30,000KM< AND BARELY any with more then 70,000 km )

http://www.autotrader.ca/result/resu...nlabel=Ontario

And yes some owners just sell them before its due for its first service

Last edited by H Bomb; 01-31-2010 at 01:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 01:43 PM   #52
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

yeah but the nissan with its ridiculous warranty voids basically limits the amount of fun you can have with it. so at that point for me it is a turn off. if i am not mistaken they keep adding more limitations to the warranty voids on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinker23 View Post
Having money does not excuse one from fiscal responsibility. Being fully aware of the operating costs is an important consideration in determining the value of the purchase.

Maybe a GT-R would be the best track car, cheapest among your options and fast as hell.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 01:49 PM   #53
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

the RS is without a doubt a sick car but as far as sounding exotic maybe the vid doesn't do justice but i have heard some E92 M3's with midpipes that sound more exotic then that does

i know my M3 with the Dinan racing midpipe and rear muffler sounds more exotic then that does in my opinion. of course the RS itself is much more of an exotic car

but on that note for what our M3's are i think they hold there own in a tough car world out there of hp/tq monsters and especially for the price of it. it does very well against cars that are double its price

Quote:
Originally Posted by skim View Post
I say a 997.2 GT3/GT3RS (if you can get the RS, very unlikely tho).
GT3 is an everyday exotic car, not as flashy or high maintanence as F430 but just as good. You probably know which car I am saving up for. =)
I think it sounds very much exotic as is, but with just a little bit of help, it can turn into one of the sweetest machines on the road

Again, my opinion on what I'd do if given the chance. Anyways, you are a very lucky guy to have this sort of "headache" lol
GL with your choice.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 03:58 PM   #54
Boost Gomez
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
R8 V10 if I was in your shoes.
      01-31-2010, 06:28 PM   #55
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
that is just it though if you are well off enough to own a F car and pay for all required maintence etc then who cares if it goes down in value bc you drove it. isn't that the point of buying a car to drive it?? buy a painting then if you don't want its value to drop

but me if i have the money to go that route then i am gonna drive it like i stole it and not give 2 shits what it is worth when the ride is over

i am sure alot of rich guys buy it for the status thing then don't drive it or ones that have no game and use it to impress the ladies etc too lol
fwiw, I work in the film industry (and also live in Malibu.) I end up getting familiar with people who have endless bank accounts and who also like cars.

I find that people who buy lots of high end cars leave them in the garage only because they just don't drive them. Sometimes it's about too much work and no time. But what usually happens is they end up favoring a particular car and the rest of them just sit. For these people a car has nothing to do with impressing people or getting the ladies (no reason for that), but it's just about the car they really like driving the best.

Think about if you owned several homes. You can't be in all of them at one time. You usually end up spending most of the time in the one you feel most comfortable in and really like. The rest go unused.

Same with the cars. And so they get very little mileage put on them. But money is no object so why sell them.

(And this brings me back to the point of just buy the car you really want to own and drive, and not just some brand name that you've read is the "best" or "most sick" whatever....)
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 07:48 PM   #56
JMD0977
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 GT3 and ....

F430 for street use
2010 GT3RS for track use
2010 GT3 for street/track
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 08:29 PM   #57
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD0977 View Post
F430 for street use
2010 GT3RS for track use
2010 GT3 for street/track

I like the way you think!

Congrats on the GT3 by the way! I assume you sold the ///M
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 08:54 PM   #58
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E93 M3, '12 750ix

Quote:
yeah but the nissan with its ridiculous warranty voids basically limits the amount of fun you can have with it. so at that point for me it is a turn off. if i am not mistaken they keep adding more limitations to the warranty voids on it
+1 I read an article in car and driver last month saying that the new 2010 GTR doesnt even have an exotic 0-60mph anymore, because of clutch and tranny issues. They have limited the 0-60mph now to 3.8s down from 3.2s , still pretty good but that car is not a DD, very uncomfortable.
If i was looking at a GTR I would go with the R8 V10. much more exotic and better looking too! doesnt look like it came out of a video game
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 09:00 PM   #59
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Have you thought about a 997 Turbo?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 09:21 PM   #60
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Take the wife to europe, pick up a Cayman via ED, and live the good life for a few weeks. Omaha sucks, even in a F430.

My sister had a Daytona (365 GTB/4). It was great, but pointless on USA roads.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 09:49 PM   #61
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

I'd like to say get the R8 but come on, Ferrari baby!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 09:50 PM   #62
JMD0977
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 GT3 and ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
I like the way you think!

Congrats on the GT3 by the way! I assume you sold the ///M
Thanks.
Yeah, its gone.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 12:13 AM   #63
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

exactly def agree with you and just meant alot of the owners not all.

the guy who bought my 2003 Dinan S2 M3 lived in Cali and had endless money and was an exception bc he drove his Stradale 360. he bought my M3 to use at a track near one of his other homes. lol must be cool. that was one rich guy who drove the cars he owned not got them for status or for chicks

but then there is a guy who lives near me here and got a 430 Spyder and has it about 1 year now and put maybe 300 miles on it and in fact doesn't know much about it. his grounds keeper put more miles on it them him. i know he told someone at a party he got it just for the chicks and to have in the garage. he is trading it in for the new 458 so he says. that kinda stuff rubs me the wrong way. i guess bc i am a car nut and get a car i like and want bc i want to drive it not to show off or bc i have no game and can't get a girl without it

k rant over lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
fwiw, I work in the film industry (and also live in Malibu.) I end up getting familiar with people who have endless bank accounts and who also like cars.

I find that people who buy lots of high end cars leave them in the garage only because they just don't drive them. Sometimes it's about too much work and no time. But what usually happens is they end up favoring a particular car and the rest of them just sit. For these people a car has nothing to do with impressing people or getting the ladies (no reason for that), but it's just about the car they really like driving the best.

Think about if you owned several homes. You can't be in all of them at one time. You usually end up spending most of the time in the one you feel most comfortable in and really like. The rest go unused.

Same with the cars. And so they get very little mileage put on them. But money is no object so why sell them.

(And this brings me back to the point of just buy the car you really want to own and drive, and not just some brand name that you've read is the "best" or "most sick" whatever....)
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 12:18 AM   #64
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

yup i love NA engines and the R8 V10 is awesome compared to the GTR. i love the 9300 rpm redline NA engine in the new lexus RFA but for almost 400k that is just nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 vert View Post
+1 I read an article in car and driver last month saying that the new 2010 GTR doesnt even have an exotic 0-60mph anymore, because of clutch and tranny issues. They have limited the 0-60mph now to 3.8s down from 3.2s , still pretty good but that car is not a DD, very uncomfortable.
If i was looking at a GTR I would go with the R8 V10. much more exotic and better looking too! doesnt look like it came out of a video game
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 01:33 AM   #65
JB 007
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Z4MC RRS MINI...

Very definitely Ferrari...Nothing feels like a Ferrari....
Z4MC_Black Sapphire/Imola-_-DMS ECU ll H&S cat-back ll H&R coilovers ll CF Lip ll Lamin-X ll Matte black kidneys ll Afe drop in ll Afe intake elbow ll RPi scoop ll LeatherZ imola shift boot ll ZHP knob...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 07:27 AM   #66
Italteen3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i JB

Check out Ferrarichat.com ! A VERY informative and great F-car community.
Appreciate 0