BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)
Closed Thread

02-14-2010, 06:36 PM   #89
disruptv
Major
Rep
Drives: 3M

Garage List
09 3m  [0.00]
im interested in this as well...i want to see some results and we also need a few non-biased member there at the showdown...

im looking to do a tune in 2011 and am considering these two companies so lets see what happens..........
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 06:49 PM   #90
ONE92
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
I am extremely impressed by how professional and motivated you are in getting this event going, Roman. You and your company are certainly gaining my respect, that's for sure.

Please keep up your excellence!
I am also impressed by how professional the guys at ESS are, as well as how confident they are about their product. I really want to be there for this and am very excited it will be here in AZ. I purchased a ESS tune, since the tune the car drives better; period. To answer the OP's question, I am fully happy with my tune and don't even think about changing. I think that is what you can expect from ESS.

Mike at PC seems to be pretty confident about his product as well. I think it is cool that he said that he offers refunds if people are not happy, he also stated that they would fix any problems that have been found in their product. Maybe they have hit just the right medium of power and safety of the motor. I think this test will be beneficial to everybody, I myself am very interested to see the outcome.

Last edited by ONE92; 02-14-2010 at 07:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 07:07 PM   #91
disruptv
Major
Rep
Drives: 3M

Garage List
09 3m  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONE92 View Post
I am also impressed by how professional the guys at ESS are, as well as how confident they are about their product. I really want to be there for this and am very excited it will be here in AZ. I purchased a ESS tune, since the tune the car drives better; period. To answer the OP's question, I am fully happy with my tune and don't even think about changing. I think that is what you can expect from ESS.

Mike at PC seems to be pretty confident about his product as well. I think it is cool that he said that he offers refunds if people are not happy, he also stated that they would fix any problems that have been found in their product. Maybe they have hit just the right medium of power and safety of the motor. I think this test will be beneficial to everybody, I myself am very interested to see the outcome.
+1

btw, how many miles have u put on ur tune?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 07:40 PM   #92
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSJ5 View Post
Roman,

I'm curious which shop/dyno do you plan on using for this challenge? And I do agree with Nawz, you have done an excellent job at ESS.
We can use one of a number of local shops that have different types of dyno's. In the surrounding area we have a Dynojet, Mustang, MAHA and dynodynamics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeedg48 View Post
ahahah this is going to be tuns of fun! The thing to kind about is even if one company can produce more power then the other there's always the issue of reliability. They should test their current flash tunes and not another one that there going to make just for this purpose.

We would use the same file for this event as the one we have been installing in customers cars as it is the best tune we have. There is no special secret to make power on a NA motor. You know how the control system works and you know how to make power while keeping AFR's and timing at a safe level or you don't, it's really that simple. AJ has been tuning BMW's for over 13 years. He developed our E9X M3 supercharger software from scratch. He also tuned PG's stroker motor in less than a week and has just finished the software for his supercharged stroker motor. If there was a way to make more power than we do on a NA M3 and have it be 100% safe im sure he would have figured it out by now

If we are wrong and someone can prove it by making more power than we can without running lean AFR's or stupid unsafe timing we will be the first to give them credit.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 08:56 PM   #93
m33
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 VT650 MCB Individual

I get the feeling this challange is not going to Happen .......
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 11:21 PM   #94
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

After reading the thread end to end I can see how Mike might feel a bit on the defensive given a few of the posts (just my opinion).

That said, I've seen nothing but professionalism from ESS; and they've been willing to go the extra mile to remove all barriers to making this happen. I hope Powerchip follows through on the challenge they made.

It's a huge business opportunity for both vendors to shine. I've been hesitant to consider a tune (safety, warranty, etc.) but this kind of event, and the willingness of a vendor to participate, goes a long way to addressing my concerns.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 11:21 PM   #95
Brian N
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i

Bump can't wait for Mikes response/confirmation. Really interested in seeing these results.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 11:35 PM   #96
Mr.Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3 (sold)

these specific two tuners interest me the most as per ecu upgrading
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 12:39 AM   #97
E92M3Guy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black E92 M3

If Mike@Powerchip is busy and has no time, why not fly out and take care of all the accommodations for Roman@ESS and take care of business in Cali. It seems to me like ESS is more than willing to help out and take care of things and taking some part of the day out to test things out.

Heck, do the testing at Gintani bc everyone else does it as well in Cali, that way it is unbiased parties in the mix.

If Roman can find time to break apart from sales, I am sure you can as well Mike. Everything that you requested is granted, if you still can't do it then something isn't adding up to this...best way fly Roman out to cali to handle this fair and square bc it doesn't seem you are comfortable coming out to AZ.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 01:08 AM   #98
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

some of you guys need to chill out and give some breathing room i mean damn....let mike respond
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 04:17 AM   #99
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom3n View Post
We have included a free lunch for Mike in our offer

We have tried to make it as easy as we can on Mike. Usually the person doing the challenging makes the arrangements and picks up the expenses but we are willing to help him out. All he needs to do is take a pre-paid 1 hr flight over from LA and custom tune a car, he will be home in time for dinner. We will take care of everything else. We are looking forward to him coming out and doing this challenge. We have heard alot about the custom tune Mike has designed for this car and we want to see how it performs against our standard tune in a controlled, monitored test with all factors being equal. We also look forward to all engine data being shared so that customers can have a better understanding of ECU software and how it effects the performance and safety of the motor

I have a non-tuned/stock M3 which needs a tune Would be nice to see who could the most gains out of it with an Akrapovic exhaust system.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 01:12 PM   #100
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Will respond. Super busy.

We are currently tuning a couple cars at fabspeed. I am also working on two of my cars today (see pictures below). And as many of you already know, car tuning is not my main business. I have my computer clients to take care of as well. Rest assured I will respond. I can tell you from the get-go that we do not have as much time as ESS thinks we do - Our engine tuning and product development extends well past BMW's into Mercedes/Audi/Porsche market and exotics as well, which means that we are always working on something and do not have a lot of free time.

That said, we are willing to take ESS up on this challenge, however, the details will have to be worked out. We are certainly not providing them with out intellectual property (software files) - after all, that's what gives us our competitive advantage in the first place.

Just thought I'd put this post up here in the interim. I am going back to taking care of the fabspeed group buy. Happy Presidents Day everyone!
Attached Images

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----

Last edited by BPMSport; 02-15-2010 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: make pictures smaller
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 01:15 PM   #101
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@Powerchip View Post

We are currently tuning a couple cars at fabspeed. I am also working on two of my cars today (see pictures below). And as many of you already know, car tuning is not my main business. I have my computer clients to take care of as well. Rest assured I will respond. I can tell you from the get-go that we do not have as much time as ESS thinks we do - Our engine tuning and product development extends well past BMW's into Mercedes/Audi/Porsche market and exotics as well, which means that we are always working on something and do not have a lot of free time.

That said, we are willing to take ESS up on this challenge, however, the details will have to be worked out. We are certainly not providing them with out intellectual property (software files) - after all, that's what gives us our competitive advantage in the first place.

Just thought I'd put this post up here in the interim. I am going back to taking care of the fabspeed group buy. Happy Presidents Day everyone!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 02:05 PM   #102
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@Powerchip View Post

Mike

There has never been any part of the agreement that required you to give us access to your software files. All we want to do is have the timing and AFR data from the dyno's recorded and shared so that customers can see what both tunes run and to confirm that they are both safe. If your "competitive advantage" does not include you runing unsafe AFR's or timing then you have nothing to worry about. I understand you are busy as we are also but if you are to busy to follow thru on challenges you should refrain from making them in the future.

I still look forward to you contacting me to set this up.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 02:16 PM   #103
attila
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mclaren 650s, 2015 GTS4,

Anyone from AA to be part of this??
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 02:18 PM   #104
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
hopefully not
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 03:02 PM   #105
RGuard250
Titanium TCP
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

It would be epic if AA got in on this and it was an official tuner shootout. It would probably make for a good magazine article too. The only downside is, if one company makes more power than another, I can see the other companies doing a version 3/3.4/3.7/4.0 type of fiasco to reassure the consumers that they will always have a "better" tune.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #106
DomsZ06
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z06

should be interesting.

Hope it happens.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 04:14 PM   #107
CT-Bimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Sedan

I would be VERY interested in seeing this comparison happen as well and I was contemplating getting a tune. I had inquired with Powerchip about their product, pricing, etc and Mike responded promptly in the past. Props to ESS for their responses thus far. I have to admit that this is beginning to look like a h.s fight where someone stands up to the challenger and he backs down! All ego's aside this will be great for the community here!

Mods: Gintani CB | Dinan Intake | Evo Pulley | HRE P40's | Eibach Springs | MS spacers | Matte grills | GP Thunder 7500 | Venture Clear bra
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 04:40 PM   #108
m33
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 VT650 MCB Individual

i'll throw in a deep tissue massage (Professional one orcourse & 1 hour worth ) and you can call it a vacation !!! Drinks too
I wanna see this move Fwd .......
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 04:53 PM   #109
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
Get Dinan in here too.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 05:23 PM   #110
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red

drew's words definitely have validity to them...i do feel that ESS puts out that they are the only ones doing things right, and label the PC tune "unsafe" or try to make it seem that way...which is unfair as there have been no major probs with it, yes a couple limp modes (which were dealt with in a fast and professional manner, as ive read from their customers) but that does signify "unsafe" or "dangerous"
BW C13 - 1:57:2
ACS - 1:49:6
WSIR - 1:30:6
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread