BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

EXXEL Distributions

04-24-2008, 12:36 AM   #1
malter2.0
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: em-funf

Garage List
Drove '08 C6

Had an opportunity to drive buddy's corvette today.

It's an '08 C6 without Z51 package. 4500 miles. 6-speed.

I must say, I am really disappointed with this car. I expected so much more. It feels so big and bloated, absolutely no feel anywhere in the car. Steering has too much assist, brakes are somewhat mushy. Clutch is too light, shifts are handful. I couldn't see shit in reverse, forget blind spots. Overall, a complete BOAT. V6 mustang rental I had recently was way more nimble and communicative. On the other hand, power is intoxicating. Car is scary fast, torque is everywhere, it is so easy to drive it around round, but again, power is not everything. To me personally, $45k is way too much for something so bloated. I respect the car and its great power, but story ends there.

I went back to my ragged out '96 E36 M3, sat down in her and had a new appreciation for my tired, but trusty M3.

BMW:Chevy=1:0
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 12:39 AM   #2
Krueger///M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 HPF 2.5, 2008 M3 (Sold)

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
Your M3 looks good (At least in you sig) for being a '96.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 01:56 AM   #3
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

A C6 is far lighter than a (current) 3 though I'd guess your M3 weighs about the same. Numbers wise the C6 has tons of grip as well. Goes to show you that the way a car feels is still the most important aspect and why Ferrari still sells cars when a Z06 does similar numbers at a third the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 09:58 AM   #4
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by malter2.0 View Post
Had an opportunity to drive buddy's corvette today.

It's an '08 C6 without Z51 package. 4500 miles. 6-speed.

I must say, I am really disappointed with this car. I expected so much more. It feels so big and bloated, absolutely no feel anywhere in the car. Steering has too much assist, brakes are somewhat mushy. Clutch is too light, shifts are handful. I couldn't see shit in reverse, forget blind spots. Overall, a complete BOAT. V6 mustang rental I had recently was way more nimble and communicative. On the other hand, power is intoxicating. Car is scary fast, torque is everywhere, it is so easy to drive it around round, but again, power is not everything. To me personally, $45k is way too much for something so bloated. I respect the car and its great power, but story ends there.

I went back to my ragged out '96 E36 M3, sat down in her and had a new appreciation for my tired, but trusty M3.

BMW:Chevy=1:0
How can you talk about the suspension dislikes if you didnt even drive one with the Z51 package? The Z51 package adds better rotors, different tires, front and rear sway bars, front and rear springs and shocks. Possibly better gearing also. It totally changes the feel of the car. As far as suspension goes, its approaching the difference between a 3 series and an M3.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 02:39 PM   #5
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

I heard it was amazing to drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 03:15 PM   #6
omg516
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 335i

I drove an 06 w/z51 and it blew all of my expectations away. Granted my prior vette experiences were with c4's and automatic c5's but still, the z51 c6 really is a great drive. I can't even imagine what the 08's must feel like with the ls3.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 08:23 PM   #7
malter2.0
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: em-funf

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndon_h View Post
How can you talk about the suspension dislikes if you didnt even drive one with the Z51 package? The Z51 package adds better rotors, different tires, front and rear sway bars, front and rear springs and shocks. Possibly better gearing also. It totally changes the feel of the car. As far as suspension goes, its approaching the difference between a 3 series and an M3.
it's a review of the car. i'm telling you my impressions. take it with a grain of salt if you'd like. coming from a nimble, communicative and predictable E36 M3, corvette ride is diluted and numb. i have no feel for corners, i don't know where the car ends or begins. i had seat properly adjusted and still had poor visibility (5'11').

it is not a driver's car by any standard. it's more muscle car than sports car, even though it falls under latter definition.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 08:48 PM   #8
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
it's a review of the car. i'm telling you my impressions. take it with a grain of salt if you'd like. coming from a nimble, communicative and predictable E36 M3, corvette ride is diluted and numb. i have no feel for corners, i don't know where the car ends or begins. i had seat properly adjusted and still had poor visibility (5'11').

it is not a driver's car by any standard. it's more muscle car than sports car, even though it falls under latter definition.

Please go drive a Z51 equipped car, and write back. I'd hate for you to believe the C6 with nothing more than a mustang-like muscle car just because you drove the inferior version. It's really the equivalent of driving a 325i and going to another car forum to talk about how slow all the 3-series bmws are. The difference between the Z51 equipped vettes and the non z51 equipped vettes will astonish you.

Although, I will definitely agree with you on the lack of a good seating position and the beyond ridiculously horrible visibility.
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 01:32 PM   #9
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:

thanks for the review. 100% sounds like you need to drive another one w/ the upgraded suspension. that car is NOT bloated....great handling actually. The steering is not as communicative as your e36 M3, but little is.

As for power......its got a TON. Current 100% stock record in the 1/4 is 11.8 at 119.xmph..........that is just silly fast. An intake and tune and they are hitting 123-124mph. For the mid 40's its simply an unbeatable performance bargain. You cant beat it in a new car......thats 997 turbo trap speeds.
      04-26-2008, 02:17 PM   #10
SLV335I
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335I 6MT

I like the part with the V6 mustang felt better. The mustangs are garbage. I had a mustang rental about 1 1/2 ago and it was one of the worst cars I have ever driven. In corners it felt like my dad’s old Cadillac Deville. If you think that was better you have the worst opinion. But you’re right it is your opinion.
Appreciate 0