BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-04-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Wedding Toast Advice Needed

Hey OT, my friend put me up on a pedestal and now I'm in a situation where I need to give a wedding toast in a couple days. Gotta make it like 2 mins. I've done some minor research on google and most toasts are just a couple of congratulatory verses; guessing I should add some type of story to pad the time a bit. I've only been to one wedding recently and have never given a wedding toast before. I feel out of my element. Help would be greatly appreciated.

here's something pretty to look at

this is not my friend
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 12:02 AM   #2
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
dont prepare. just blackout.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 12:48 AM   #3
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Watch "Four Weddings and A Funeral" ..You'll know what to say excatly after that.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Just be very sincere and speak from the heart, works like a charm and you will get lots praise after.
      10-05-2011, 10:34 AM   #5
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post
dont prepare. just blackout.
dude... i wish..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondtar View Post
Watch "Four Weddings and A Funeral" ..You'll know what to say excatly after that.
never seen that movie before. but doubt i'll watch it in the next couple days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bahn View Post
Just be very sincere and speak from the heart, works like a charm and you will get lots praise after.
i'm drawing a blank man... i'm somewhat close to the bride and don't know the groom. she's like a little sister to me and looks up to me so i don't want to fall off my pedestal. just not really sure wtf i should talk about. what kind of stories i should tell. i've only met the groom a handful of times; no more than 2 handfuls; talked to less than a handful.

asides from the fact that i pretty much knew they'd get married since like 5 years ago, i don't have anything heartwarming to say. it's not like the groom is a bad guy but i don't know him, thus the difficult situation of coming up with material to write about.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

just tell the wife that you wish you had the chance to fuck her before she got married, but now she's going to be tainted because of high probability of babies, drop the mic, throw up some deuces, and sit down. i guarantee you'll have the most memorable toast.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 10:45 AM   #7
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
just tell the wife that you wish you had the chance to fuck her before she got married, but now she's going to be tainted because of high probability of babies, drop the mic, throw up some deuces, and sit down. i guarantee you'll have the most memorable toast.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 11:00 AM   #8
Draven
C7Z - Darkside
Rep
Drives: '18 Z06 M7

My tips as someone who has never given a best man speech, and will never give a best man speech, but I am an accomplished public speaker:

Don't try to joke. Funny things being said during a toast almost never work unless you're an experienced public speaker, or the story is inherently funny.

Rehearse it. Record yourself giving the speech, practice delivery and timing. Once your comfortable, say it in front of an impartial audience, and don't take their critique personally.

Don't go too long. A good speech should go about 3 minutes, give or take. It should be personal to the groom, it should highlight his love for his new bride, and it should imply that you'll support them throughout their lives together.

Finally, tell the new bride and groom that when their sex life gets boring, you call first dibs on the wife when they become swingers.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #9
Patrick303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
My tips as someone who has never given a best man speech, and will never give a best man speech, but I am an accomplished public speaker:

Don't try to joke. Funny things being said during a toast almost never work unless you're an experienced public speaker, or the story is inherently funny.

Rehearse it. Record yourself giving the speech, practice delivery and timing. Once your comfortable, say it in front of an impartial audience, and don't take their critique personally.

Don't go too long. A good speech should go about 3 minutes, give or take. It should be personal to the groom, it should highlight his love for his new bride, and it should imply that you'll support them throughout their lives together.

Finally, tell the new bride and groom that when their sex life gets boring, you call first dibs on the wife when they become swingers.

Good luck!
I agree. Don't try overly hard to be funny. Especially if it's a story that not all the guests know. It will fail miserably. Instead try to focus on a certain trait your friend has and use it.

For instance, at my best friend's wedding I started by saying "I hope you know you married the most stubborn person I know. Once he sets his mind to something, there's no use fighting with him." Then change it to be a good thing. I followed that with "Now he's set his mind to loving you, so there's no use fighting it." Or something like that. :P

Rehearse it so you don't trip over yourself when speaking. And keep it short so everyone doesn't trail off and stop listening. Good luck!
      10-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #10
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the responses so far guys. Basically need to bang this out by tomorrow. Feels like I'm back in school with a paper due lol. Maybe I'll relate back and tell a story from our school days (pretty much how I know her) but I can't think of anything too memorable/funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post

Good luck!
Not really afraid of public speaking. Which is why she wants me to do the toast. Also because I'm the only one on her side that will speak. My trouble is coming up with material to write about.

I only really want to make the toast 1-3 mins. Said 2 mins in my OP.

I don't know the groom well.

I'm a groomsman.

Work + Family visiting. Won't really have time/opportunity practice it in front of anyone. It's a very hectic week this week even without her wedding. I'm literally getting 4-5 hours of sleep every night this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick719 View Post
I agree. Don't try overly hard to be funny. Especially if it's a story that not all the guests know. It will fail miserably. Instead try to focus on a certain trait your friend has and use it.

For instance, at my best friend's wedding I started by saying "I hope you know you married the most stubborn person I know. Once he sets his mind to something, there's no use fighting with him." Then change it to be a good thing. I followed that with "Now he's set his mind to loving you, so there's no use fighting it." Or something like that. :P

Rehearse it so you don't trip over yourself when speaking. And keep it short so everyone doesn't trail off and stop listening. Good luck!
Damn, I want to steal that but doesn't fit with her character trait AFAIK. I was thinking on focusing on character trait too. On top of my head first thing I think about is that she's a very hard working person; so far can't think of a good way to use that as a base for my speech or story. Just mentally feels like I'm falling short if I go this route. Think I'm having such a hard time coming up with something to say because I want it to come from the heart and have substance.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #11
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
can't give you any advice but want to see the results...hell im nervous...
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 02:18 PM   #12
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

I had to do it once too...I am nervous for you...

Just get the girls name correct...I know someone who said the previous girls name during the the toast...not good.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 02:29 PM   #13
panicos81
Colonel
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: a white bmw

Garage List
2010 BMW E92  [8.54]
2007 e90  [0.00]
      10-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #14
boymonkey
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slow

Mention things like ex's, wild parties, previous marriages, bi-curiousness, booze, drugs, or anything else that may fascinate the audience.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 04:12 PM   #15
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
Just say congratulations to the newly wed and end it FFS. Then get loaded and gtfo. Call it a day
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 04:35 PM   #16
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Start it off that she looks amazing

tell her you love her like a sister

you support them through there journey

and wish them the best honeymoon possible

throw up the bubbly and sit back down.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 04:46 PM   #17
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SoFlo View Post

i like it..I might say "she's like a sister to me" instead of "love her like a sister"..a bit awkward

also throw in how you guise met and maybe a couple adventures...
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 05:39 PM   #18
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SoFlo View Post

thank you. your post offered me a little inspiration. very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
i like it..I might say "she's like a sister to me" instead of "love her like a sister"..a bit awkward

also throw in how you guise met and maybe a couple adventures...
good point on sister.

can't really think of any adventure stories to tell, or at least an appropriate one for the occasion.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #19
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
get drunk as fuck and then its appropriate.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 05:46 PM   #20
wuzupfoo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3; G30 540i

Same boat my younger bro is getting married next week. Still havent put pen to paper..

gl bro... feel your pain..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 03:27 AM   #21
popngear
Rep
Drives: 02 Honda S2000

I recently delivered a speech for one of my best friend's as a groomsman. I opened with
"Wow Denise, I’ve gotta say that you look smoking hot. And Steve, well you chose a nice venue."

If you've got good comedic timing and delivery, things like this work. Like someone mentioned before, alternating a serious/genuine sounding compliment with some light humour is a very effective way at keeping a good tempo.

ie.

You've always been like a sister to me. My parents agree, they even chose you over me as their favourite.

or

You've always been like a sister to me and I hope you think of me like a brother. And John(groom's name of course), to be specific, I'm the overprotective of his little sister type of brother, in case you were wondering.

You can do the "i'm watching you" gesture with your fingers afterwards.

Anyways, perhaps those are shit but maybe they'll give you some ideas.

And yes, I am new here. Go BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 11:54 AM   #22
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

lick the groom and tell him he looks delicious