BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

10-02-2012, 11:41 PM   #1
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 E93 M3

New E93 Owner - Odd Question - 1200 Mile Service

So I just got my '13 E93 M3 about 3 weeks ago. I now have exactly 337 miles on the car and I drive it in city only and for very short distances only. I drive it pretty hard (I'm currently averaging 9.6 MPG), at least as far as the break-in guidelines go, and I was watching the maintenance clock run down for my 1200 mile service.

Yesterday I could have sworn that it showed 600 miles left, which makes sense because of my driving style. Tonight I get in my car and instead of showing the countdown it now just says Service when I first start it up. That Service disappears within a few seconds, so I'm guessing it's trying to tell me to get my 1,200 mile service done. I have 3 questions:

1) (This is my odd question) - Is it possible that I'm supposed to take my car in for my "1200 mile service" at only 337 miles?!? I would understand if it was 800 or 900 miles but 337 miles?!? Or is it more likely that something else (potentially bad) is going on? There are no other warning lights either at startup or while driving. Aside from the car idling a little rough since I bought (it typically idles at around 500-600 RPMs - doesn't bounce around but feels a little rough), I haven't noticed anything wrong with it all.
2) Given that it is now saying "Service" instead of the countdown clock, is there any way for me to see the countdown so I can take it in when it gets to 0? I think my E46 M3 would count all the way down to 0 (or at least much closer to it than 500 miles!) before it no longer showed the countdown clock?
3) Should I wait a few hundred more miles before I take it in for my 1200 so I'm at least closer to 1200 miles (say 800 or 900 miles) or should I take it in pretty much right away (ie. soon)?

Thanks for everyone's help,
Jeremy
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 11:54 PM   #2
carbon//m3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: m4 vert

Yup it sure is I just took mine in for the 1200 mile service. I would wait till u get closer to the 1200 mile mark.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 12:04 AM   #3
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon//m3 View Post
Yup it sure is I just took mine in for the 1200 mile service. I would wait till u get closer to the 1200 mile mark.

So you're saying that as of 500 miles the countdown no longer shows? Is there any way to see the countdown so I know how many miles are really left?

Also, doesn't it seem like 337 miles is VERY low for the 1200 mile service to already be showing up?

Thanks for your help,
Jeremy
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 12:50 AM   #4
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Wait until 1k-1.2k as the diff needs these miles on the break-in fluid. Been through this and just know that so long as your oil level is ok nothing will go wrong.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 02:51 AM   #5
fuhshietfu
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Did you go in idrive and see vehicle info? It tells you approximately how many miles till service. But the service light comes on when you start the car. I think that too early. I have 970miles on my and it saying about 160miles more to go till service. But it does have the warning on.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #6
ZooMMM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black/black E93 M

Check idrive... Vehicle status.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #7
VMcV3y
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC; 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
Suggest that if you are within 10 - 20 miles of a dealership, just go drive it in there to Service and show it and ask them what they suggest. Get the name(s) of the people you speak to if they say to delay until 1,200 miles.

It's a pricey $$ you have invested in the car; you don't want a problem to show up and then they pull an electronic record off the car and say "Hey, you had 'service' lights come on, but you didn't think to get it serviced?'"

- V

2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic. >177k miles and still rocks!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 09:17 AM   #8
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Your reference re: fuel consumption tells me that you are extremely hard on your car. That is less then 50% of normal/average city driving consumption in my opinion.

My recommendations are:

A) Be a bit more gentle on your new car (even after your 1200 mile service, read your manual the OEM recommends to go easy even after the first service for a spell).

And

B) As others pointed out check your vehicle status on iDrive and wait for the 1 to 1.2K mark before taking her in for the break in service.

My 2 cents

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #9
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks VERY MUCH for everyone's help - I appreciate it. Forgive me for not having the brains to check iDrive - it's my first E9x M3 (I had 3 E46 M3s) so it didn't even occur to me to check iDrive, which is ridiculous.

Anyhow, I checked iDrive and here's what it said (I am paraphrasing):

"Service Due Soon. 600 miles until oil change. Please make an appointment with a service advisor."

So it looks like I am currently due at around 900 miles. All other systems looked ok. So my conclusion at the moment (unless something changes) is that I will ignore the service mention every time I start the car and take it in when the countdown is close to 0 (probably within 100 miles).

I'm not at all surprised that my countdown is running very early, as I literally drive the car to lunch and back to my home office almost every day. And lunch is usually the Quiznos in Santa Monica that is literally within walking distance of me. In fact, my trips are so short that my oil reading pretty much never shows because I don't drive long enough for a reading...

Anyhow, thanks for everyone's help. I think my case is closed for the moment
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #10
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3RD View Post
Your reference re: fuel consumption tells me that you are extremely hard on your car. That is less then 50% of normal/average city driving consumption in my opinion.

My recommendations are:

A) Be a bit more gentle on your new car (even after your 1200 mile service, read your manual the OEM recommends to go easy even after the first service for a spell).

And

B) As others pointed out check your vehicle status on iDrive and wait for the 1 to 1.2K mark before taking her in for the break in service.

My 2 cents

Thanks - I appreciate it. FYI - I'm driving within the break-in guidelines. My 9.6 MPG is simply because of my very short trip (see my previous post for a better explanation) + spirited driving 99% of the time. I used to get 13.2 MPG on my E46 M3 Convertible so being a couple MPG lower with the V8 isn't surprising...

Thanks,
Jeremy
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #11
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyr4 View Post
Thanks - I appreciate it. FYI - I'm driving within the break-in guidelines. My 9.6 MPG is simply because of my very short trip (see my previous post for a better explanation) + spirited driving 99% of the time. I used to get 13.2 MPG on my E46 M3 Convertible so being a couple MPG lower with the V8 isn't surprising...

Thanks,
Jeremy
I meant no harm ... just try to help

Drive safely ... Cheers

PS short trips suck in our car I always take the long way home when the wife needs something from the store you know what I mean ...

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #12
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I meant no harm ... just try to help

Drive safely ... Cheers

PS short trips suck in our car I always take the long way home when the wife needs something from the store you know what I mean ...

Don't worry - I'm never a concerned a fellow Canadian is trying to harm! I'm originally from Montreal but in LA now. Seriously, I do appreciate it. Just explaining my MPG more than anything. Didn't want anyone to think I was going outside of break-in guidelines!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #13
MRG Race Co
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Nardo E92 '15 Fashion F80

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
His horrible mileage is more due to driving conditions. I met J yesterday and he declared to me that he does most of his driving on crowded LA streets and very rarely gets on the highway. I get pretty horrible mileage as well as we do some very similar driving but I do get on the freeway a bit more often than him I'm sure and im averaging out around 13ish/pg
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #14
TOSKABG
vekize
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92/ZCP/DCT/

Quote:

My recommendations are:

And

My 2 cents
Agree...100%...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #15
DBH
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92

OP, you are doing the worst kind of driving that can be done - especially during break in. Please, at least take it out on the weekends for a good spin - 70+ mph for at least 1/2 hour. You've got to get all fluids up to operating temp as often as possible.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #16
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBH View Post
OP, you are doing the worst kind of driving that can be done - especially during break in. Please, at least take it out on the weekends for a good spin - 70+ mph for at least 1/2 hour. You've got to get all fluids up to operating temp as often as possible.

You've obviously right but you can't drive 70+ mph anywhere around here - I'm in LA!!!

But seriously, I know that I'm probably running the worst break-in conditions but there's not much I can do about it, as I'm too busy with work, family, etc. I have taken it for a number of 10-20 min drives around town at night with the roof down so at least it's getting a little love

BTW, I spoke with my SA today (he's VERY knowledgeable about M cars in particular) and he told me that the break-in timer takes 3 things into account in its formula:

- Oil level
- MPG
- Number of on/off cycles

I honestly think I'm confusing the car because I drive it such short distances that the oil level never has enough time to be registered (except for a couple of times). My MPG is 9.6 and I still run normal on/off cycles compared to everyone else who is driving further. But I think the oil level is probably throwing my entire equation off a little.

Anyhow, my SA told me to bring the car in when the countdown hits 0, as it's important to make sure everything breaks-in as required (including the diff, engine, etc) BEFORE doing the 1,200. So that's what I'm going to do...

Final Note: A BIG thanks to Alyn for taking the time meet me yesterday. Beautiful car and really nice guy!

Thanks again for everyone's help,
Jeremy
Appreciate 0