BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

12-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #23
Dellort_M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunners_Mate View Post
You guys realize that there are sane brakes like these for lamgorghinis and Aston Martins on eBay going for like one grand! Why not make an adapter so they fit your car? Who in their right mind old spend $30,000, let alone $15,000, on brakes?!
Link? 1K for a full ceramic brake set?
I don't think so..
2011 Alpine White/Fox Red 6MT E92 M3 | Active Stage 2 w/Meth | KW Clubsport | OSS | Challenge Front Lip | Vorsteiner Type 2 Rear Diffuser and Bootlid | Brembo | Recaro | Akrapovic Slip-On | Challenge Race+ X-Pipe | Vossen CV3 | OEM 359M | TE37SL
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #24
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellort_M3 View Post
Link? 1K for a full ceramic brake set?
I don't think so..
+1. If it is $1k it is brake pads. I have a friend that spent over $1k just on 1 set of pads for his ceramics on a ZR1.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #25
Tim M
Just a regular guy.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M3 Sedan

I watched a set of aston martin Rear carbon ceramic brembo's once go for pocket change ($800), claipers and pads, and rotors. I shit you not, lol. They're not always on there, but I see them come and go every month.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #26
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

You guys have to take the perspective that in Australia, the 1M is 115k, a M3 is 180k, a base 991 is 245k. The budget is not to spend over a moderate optioned M3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellort_M3 View Post
So you paid over 50K for these?
What do you use them for? I'm sure a regular GTR kit would've sufficed.
The brakes retail for $42995 in the US. The project is to create a DD that will match a much more expensive car on track. Reducing unsprung weight is crucial in the project to maintain DD comfort. I have BBS Ri-Ds and with the ceramic brakes the car will be 40kg (88lbs) lighter in unsprung weight.

Quote:
You guys realize that there are sane brakes like these for lamgorghinis and Aston Martins on eBay going for like one grand! Why not make an adapter so they fit your car? Who in their right mind old spend $30,000, let alone $15,000, on brakes?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinm3 View Post
I like my car a lot, it's my 3rd M3 went from E36,E46 and now E90 but I would never spend that much money on a car. That's crazy
Well, how much money someone is willing to spend depends on many factors, such as: what you are trying to do with the car, what makes you tick, what cars cost in general in the country you live in, and the amount of spare change you got :P. I can tell you it will give me a lot of joy and satisfaction when I got my car to lap at 997 GT3 time and then drive home in comfort without changing a thing. .

They are actually not the same brakes on stock Astons and Lamborghinis. They are the same disc used in the Ferrari Challenge Cars - it can do about 5000 track miles and the callipers doesn't need rebuilding for a whole season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
Same way I feel. I LOVE my car, but you could buy a nice beater car and some regular brembos for that much money! Is there any noticeable advantage when using the ceramic brakes? I would bet not, certainly not worth that much more money than "regular" brembos. I thought the Porsche guys who track switch their ceramic rotors to steel?
I could have bought a Golf GTI, but you won't give me the same joy. The key point of ceramic is not necessary just stopping power, but unsprung weight reduction. So, that impacts on the suspension setup of the car.

The CCM-R is the second generation ceramic brakes from Brembos, it has the advantage of working 10% better than a similar sized ferrous disc at street temps and work much better at track temps. You can take the car from the street to the track and back to the street without changing a thing.

They also last 5 times longer than the CCM found in PCCB, and Ferrari stock ceramics. Originally, the CCM have many problems with cracked disc that's why many people who track their cars and would like to stick with ceramics move to Mov'it which doesn't have the same problem. This second generation CCM-R solves the problem of the first gen CCM and also better than what other companies have to offer.

On hindsight, I probably don't need the GTR callipers but it is only a small amount compares to total mod cost. It also gives the car the ability to go to regular track sessions, rather than occasion track sessions.

Quote:
I watched a set of aston martin Rear carbon ceramic brembo's once go for pocket change ($800), claipers and pads, and rotors. I shit you not, lol. They're not always on there, but I see them come and go every month.
You can always score things cheap on ebay . Usually I look at hi-fi components. .

Last edited by sparoz; 12-03-2012 at 06:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 12:41 AM   #27
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

i am currently running oem PCCBs on my 997.1RS....

to be honest, when its time for me to change rotors i am going to replace the PCCB rotors with iron rotors. they just arent worth it to replace. the cost of replacement for PCCB rotors is about 10k per axle.... that means 20k for a complete set of replacement rotors!!!

they do have amazing fade resistance and are lighter in terms of unsprung mass but they are susceptible to chipping if you accidentally hit the rotor when mounting/dismounting wheels or if a huge rock hits the rotor hard enough.

its just not worth it.
Attached Images

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 05:23 AM   #28
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post

they do have amazing fade resistance and are lighter in terms of unsprung mass but they are susceptible to chipping if you accidentally hit the rotor when mounting/dismounting wheels or if a huge rock hits the rotor hard enough.

its just not worth it.
The CCM-R no long have this problem, but of course the cost of replacing them is big and I believe you can't just replace PCCB with the CCM-R rotors. Because of the above problems with the PCCB and original CCM many people replaced theirs with Mov'it ceramics.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 04:50 AM   #29
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

For the people who are interested, I have got the brakes installed today.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 09:12 AM   #30
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
^^^ Nice...