BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-15-2008, 05:31 PM   #1
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

Earphone.... which one you like??

I currrently have AKG k324p... it's pretty ok w/ that price..
but dont really like its bass....
and am thinking of upgrading to Bose IE earphone...

wanna hear from bose ie users....
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 05:49 PM   #2
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Everything bose is over priced crap.. You pay for the marketing..

If you want the best in ear headphones check out shure. I have had the E4c for a few years now and have not found anything better in terms of quality and sound quality, including the bose IE and even the bose quiet comfort. NOw I think they call what I have the SE4 or something on shures site, basically a newer upgraded version of what I have.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 06:18 PM   #3
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
for work i use Bose QuietComfort2, it's so fucking good. im gonna upgrade too soon.

for gym and what not i just use sony's coz they dont tangle as much, and they dont fuck up my ears like iPod's
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 06:26 PM   #4
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ View Post

If you want the best in ear headphones check out shure. I have had the E4c for a few years now and have not found anything better in terms of quality and sound quality, including the bose IE and even the bose quiet comfort. NOw I think they call what I have the SE4 or something on shures site, basically a newer upgraded version of what I have.
+1

I have shure e2c and they're great
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 07:07 PM   #5
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Bose IE = Worst I have ever had.

Xtrememac FS1; 9/10, but expensive ($150 retail, though you can find them on Ebay for almost half).

Shure E2C; Overrated, no bass, and uncomfortable for extended use.

Currently I have V-Moda Vibe (designed for the iPhone). Comfortable, excellent bass reproduction, excellent quality materials. I do believe they make a non-iPhone version as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 09:38 PM   #6
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

If you're looking at sure you might as well go a bit higher for a much better earphone. Ultimate Ears 4tw. (No I don't have them as I don't like in-ear headphones, but I've heard nothing but great things) www.ultimateears.com Goes all the way from $70 generic phones to $1150 custom molded 3 driver phones. The cheapest molded ones are $700 now apparently, they used to have a set that was $400 .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 02:56 AM   #7
wuufer001
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 M/T

Garage List
2006 325i  [9.34]
got like a $50 dollar SONY and happy with it, don't use my ipod that much too
      04-16-2008, 12:02 PM   #8
eecc
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

i've got a pair of shure e2c's...they sound pretty damn awesome to my ears
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 12:11 PM   #9
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

I have a pair of JLab JBuds, I've had them for a few months now. I think they're pretty damn good for the price. Comfortable, affordable and the sound quality is superb. I give them a 9/10

http://www.amazon.com/JBuds-Hi-Fi-No...8365741&sr=1-1
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 12:20 PM   #10
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

jvc gummys.
      04-16-2008, 12:45 PM   #11
jay spec
Rep
Drives: a 7-seater

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ View Post

the se500/530's are my favorite from shure. not really a fan of the pth module, but the earphones themselves are great. unfortunately, last i checked, they were also shure's most expensive offering for iem's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post

Xtrememac FS1; 9/10, but expensive ($150 retail, though you can find them on Ebay for almost half).

Currently I have V-Moda Vibe (designed for the iPhone). Comfortable, excellent bass reproduction, excellent quality materials. I do believe they make a non-iPhone version as well.
my experience with the vibes have been that they are very bass-oriented. unfortunately, the materials/construction is not the best...but who knows, maybe they've improved since i last tried them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
If you're looking at sure you might as well go a bit higher for a much better earphone. Ultimate Ears 4tw. (No I don't have them as I don't like in-ear headphones, but I've heard nothing but great things) www.ultimateears.com Goes all the way from $70 generic phones to $1150 custom molded 3 driver phones. The cheapest molded ones are $700 now apparently, they used to have a set that was $400 .
much better is subjective. ultimate ears and shure cater to the same market as far as universal fit iem's go. in this respect, i much prefer shure's offerings over those from ultimate ears. it would not be a fair comparison between custom and universal fit, as those are two different markets.

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 12:58 PM   #12
DANMACINSD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i

I have some Etymotic ER6i's. They are really nice, come with different fitment options and they have great sound. I have had mine for about two years with nothing but great sound. Price isn't bad either, ~$120. Check out the website. You will have to replace the "filters" every so often depending on use, but they are very cheap <$5. I work out with mine 5 days a week with sweat and replace them usually once every 6 months. You will know when they need replacing because sound will go low in one or both ears.
      04-16-2008, 01:01 PM   #13
Dmitriy@AUTOcouture
Major
Rep
Drives: carefully

I use Etymotic Research 6i http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.aspx

I had Shure e2c's, these are MUCH better. The sound quality is unreal.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 01:23 PM   #14
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

I have some Shure SE310s they are still a little soft on the Bass, but so much better at sound insulation than Bose. They do not use additional noise pumped into your head in an attempt to screen out noise, they are simply built like earplugs. They fit great, and work well enough that I take em' to the range while shooting. Under some basic muffs they work perfect, prolly a 20db reduction in ambient.

FWIW, I don't think you can really compare the in ear style with the big ole' over the ear cup stuff. There's no real replacement for driver size... Just ask Bose, they produce interesting sound, but without volume, it's just not quite there.
      04-16-2008, 02:00 PM   #15
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpuntik View Post
I use Etymotic Research 6i http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.aspx

I had Shure e2c's, these are MUCH better. The sound quality is unreal.
I am on the Shure bandwagon. I have had a pair of e2c, e4c (replaced under warrenty for current pair), and now SCL4

I use them for running and the gym because I only have to have volume at 10% to hear only my music no matter the traffic. Highly recommended.

http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Produc...o_SCL4_content
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 03:35 PM   #16
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay spec View Post
much better is subjective. ultimate ears and shure cater to the same market as far as universal fit iem's go. in this respect, i much prefer shure's offerings over those from ultimate ears. it would not be a fair comparison between custom and universal fit, as those are two different markets.
Agreed, when I wrote that I didn't realize the $400 (maybe it was 300, I forget) custom fit buds had been taken out of production. They used to have a set for iPod/non-monitor use on the (relative) cheap.

Quote:
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 04:15 PM   #17
n3985
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a car

Went from Sony to Shurt and now I am happy with my B&O, plus they cool cool
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 05:26 PM   #18
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post

I had the E2C before upgrading.. It takes a learning curve to put them in and you have to find one of the pices in the kit to get a good fit..

I prefer the 4 to the 2 since the 4 are smaller and I think fit a heck of a lot better, I can fall asleep in my 4's but never the 2's. But neither lack bass if properly fitted.

Bose on the other hand is all highs and lows which impresses people but still leaves the middle range empty.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 06:34 PM   #19
jay spec
Rep
Drives: a 7-seater

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
Agreed, when I wrote that I didn't realize the $400 (maybe it was 300, I forget) custom fit buds had been taken out of production. They used to have a set for iPod/non-monitor use on the (relative) cheap.
in general, custom fit iem's cater to a different market. when buying a universal-fit iem, you have comfort in knowing it retains some sort of resale value. however, when purchasing a custom molded iem, there is no resale to speak of, as they will only fit properly in your ears. therefore, $400 for custom molds is much more expensive than $400 for a quality pair of universal-fit iem's.

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 06:39 PM   #20
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay spec View Post
in general, custom fit iem's cater to a different market. when buying a universal-fit iem, you have comfort in knowing it retains some sort of resale value. however, when purchasing a custom molded iem, there is no resale to speak of, as they will only fit properly in your ears. therefore, $400 for custom molds is much more expensive than $400 for a quality pair of universal-fit iem's.
I don't know about you, but I don't resell earphones, I use them until the break, nor would I want to wear someone's used in-ears.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 08:33 PM   #21
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
my 12 dollar sony headphones do just fine for me lol.

im no jackass. i wouldnt pay more than 50 bucks for em. when will yall realize you pay for marketing mostly?

*sighs*
      04-16-2008, 11:38 PM   #22
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiemyster View Post
my 12 dollar sony headphones do just fine for me lol.

im no jackass. i wouldnt pay more than 50 bucks for em. when will yall realize you pay for marketing mostly?

*sighs*
not really, paying $$$ for earphone is worth it for me at least...well at least $70-120 range...... more than that is just too much $$$$
dont get me wrong. I was one of the person thought why would people pay $$$$ for just piece of earphone.
Appreciate 0