BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
jbraslins
Latvian Gangstah
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Melbourne Red 6MT

Dinan 3.62 M-DCT diff

Haven't seen any posts about this upgrade since 2010.

Can 3.62 owners please chime in. How are you liking it? Issues? Seriously considering it.

Thanks.
[SOLD] 2002 TiAg E46 M3 manual
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Im no expert by any means, but it seems people really don't go over 3.45 ratio although the 3.62 make a 5.6xTQ multiplication over the 3.45.
      06-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
Mrbig
Major
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

Why ? I'm trying to find out also ?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
BASELINE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A few...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbig
Why ? I'm trying to find out also ?
If I recall correctly the few that tried this and recorded vbox runs a couple years ago said it was slower than stock... Or no difference.

I think I remember this mod being a waste on DCT.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
yoelev
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

I have it on my 2012 e92 and although i havent dynoed it, it certainly feels MUCH faster. really enjoy it. the diff whine may be annoying to some (and it was for the 1200 mile break in) but i am starting to really enjoy the sound.

i had a bunch of work done from Dinan and i believe their suspensions are the best, but i think diff should def be considered.
      06-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
jbraslins
Latvian Gangstah
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASELINE View Post
If I recall correctly the few that tried this and recorded vbox runs a couple years ago said it was slower than stock... Or no difference.

I think I remember this mod being a waste on DCT.
Top speed is not what I am after. A more robust mid-range is what I want. Thanks though.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
jbraslins
Latvian Gangstah
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoelev View Post
I have it on my 2012 e92 and although i havent dynoed it, it certainly feels MUCH faster. really enjoy it. the diff whine may be annoying to some (and it was for the 1200 mile break in) but i am starting to really enjoy the sound.

i had a bunch of work done from Dinan and i believe their suspensions are the best, but i think diff should def be considered.
Is engine breaking a lot more pronounced with this diff?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #8
yoelev
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraslins View Post
Is engine breaking a lot more pronounced with this diff?
i think that's a good way to describe it yes. and the shifts are VIOLENT at high rpms. makes the car much more hardnosed.
      06-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
KmndntKlink
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 m3

I was also interested in this since I think it's way too low on torque. Since I'm rarely on the track, the acceleration & low-midrange power is where I want a boost, so the top speed loss is a wash for me.
What would you say I should expect in terms of changes in daily driving if I go for this mod? This is the 1st I've heard about violent shifts. I wonder what other tradeoffs there are.
      06-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #10
yoelev
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KmndntKlink View Post
I was also interested in this since I think it's way too low on torque. Since I'm rarely on the track, the acceleration & low-midrange power is where I want a boost, so the top speed loss is a wash for me.
What would you say I should expect in terms of changes in daily driving if I go for this mod? This is the 1st I've heard about violent shifts. I wonder what other tradeoffs there are.
maybe i misspoke. violent is probably not the right word. and it's def not a negative. think authoritative. it's one of my fave parts about the mod

you'll run out of gear on 1st faster, and you will cruise a little higher in 7th. everything else is gravy.
      06-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #11
KmndntKlink
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
maybe i misspoke. violent is probably not the right word. and it's def not a negative. think authoritative. it's one of my fave parts about the mod

you'll run out of gear on 1st faster, and you will cruise a little higher in 7th. everything else is gravy.
Cool thanks, I think 1st is super short stock lol!
really think this + a tune and maybe a pulley would make this car perfect for me, everyone I talk to that has the new diff says its awesome.
      06-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #12
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

There is not much a diff does when considering any sort of performance across multiple gears. Remember, a final drive change does not give you more power and power gains equate to performance gains. This topic has been extensively debated here on the forum. The essence of the "no such thing as a free lunch" principle with such a mod is that yes, you get more torque to the rear wheels, however, you get less time in each gear. Google around for the various discussions. In my opinion the benefits are not at all worth the price.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #13
yoelev
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KmndntKlink View Post
Cool thanks, I think 1st is super short stock lol!
really think this + a tune and maybe a pulley would make this car perfect for me, everyone I talk to that has the new diff says its awesome.
heres what i got:

Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan Engine Software and i put in the AA air filter.

the car is a beast. heres my guy selling me on the package. he did a great job

"see enclosed. E90/92 M3 is first rate car in stock form (as you are probably discovering), yet BMW did leave some things that beg improvement. 1) lots of horsepower, relatively low torque. Diff designed to cure that. 2) suspension a little soft. monoballs, toe links make a difference. Do not rule out the Stage one suspension, one of Dinan's best. For example: one of the many M3s we did last year belonged to a fellow who also owned -among various BMW/Porsche- a 911. we installed the package you are intending, along with intake, strut brace & stage one suspension. He sold the 911 shortly after, said there was no point in owning it anymore. The M3 simply blew it away."
      06-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #14
jbraslins
Latvian Gangstah
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
There is not much a diff does when considering any sort of performance across multiple gears. Remember, a final drive change does not give you more power and power gains equate to performance gains. This topic has been extensively debated here on the forum. The essence of the "no such thing as a free lunch" principle with such a mod is that yes, you get more torque to the rear wheels, however, you get less time in each gear. Google around for the various discussions. In my opinion the benefits are not at all worth the price.
Not trying to argue, I really appreciate any comments against the mod. Just trying to understand it better.

I can see how what you say is true when you're going after 0-60/quarter mile numbers or seeking more power on the dyno sheet. Not gaining anything there really, just sacrificing top speed and shifting more often/sooner. I rarely have my M3 above 90mph, and when I do an occasional HPDE, I rarely exceed 140mph.

My ultimate goal is to improve seat-of-the-pants roll-on feel when you're in 3000-5000 rpm range driving around town. 14.9% more torque sounds like it should help.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 06:31 PM   #15
KmndntKlink
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Not trying to argue, I really appreciate any comments against the mod. Just trying to understand it better.

I can see how what you say is true when you're going after 0-60/quarter mile numbers or seeking more power on the dyno sheet. Not gaining anything there really, just sacrificing top speed and shifting more often/sooner. I rarely have my M3 above 90mph, and when I do an occasional HPDE, I rarely exceed 140mph.

My ultimate goal is to improve seat-of-the-pants roll-on feel when you're in 3000-5000 rpm range driving around town. 14.9% more torque sounds like it should help.
That's basically my thinking, I'm never gonna really see the top speed, even on a track, I'd rather shoot out of corners faster and lose lik 10km/h in a super long straight. Plus when I give my buddies rides or want to make the ladies wet, torque is what you need to impress lol. I hear that the revs only increase lik 100rpm even on the 3.62, so its like "less time in a gear" y like what a millisecond? A tune can bump up the limitor 100rpm and you're golden. Not really any tradeoff in fuel efficiency either I thinks.
      06-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #16
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

It would be nice if someone that actually has went to a 3.62 would chime in and say what it really does as far as performance and RPM and top speed.
      06-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #17
BASELINE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A few...

Quote:
Top speed is not what I am after. A more robust mid-range is what I want. Thanks though.
I wasn't talking about top speed as that is irrelevant to 99% of owners...I was talking about overall acceleration. Not just 0-60... but mid speed runs such as a 60-130....which for all intents and purposes would be relevant to your example of coming out and accelerating faster out of turns.

I could be wrong but it was either Drew or PencilGeek who had the hard numbers on this...it was a while ago. But the general take-away from the numerous discussions with and without epirical evidence was that regardless of butt feel, the mod produced no appreciable gains in acceleration either way you slice it.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #18
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

here's a cartest comparison that I ran between 2 supercharged cars, the only difference being the 3.62 diff.

they are almost identical (the 3.62 is just slightly quicker) in all runs that span multiple gears.

if you run some tests without shifts you can clearly see the advantage of the 3.62 gears comparing gear for gear.

in 60-90 the 3.62 car is over 1/2 second faster in 4th gear, but the stock car can actually do this in 3rd while the 3.62 car needs to shift, and in 3rd the stock car is faster than the 3.62 car in 4th.

Overall i think this mod probably makes the car feel quite a bit faster but the actual performance is about the same plus you lose quite a bit of top speed.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #19
yoelev
First Lieutenant
Rep

it makes the car feel MUCH faster. it's the difference between the numbers and the butt dyno. i have it, i love it, and it feels great. and i am a guy that yanks stuff out of cars if i don't like it. this is staying.
      06-25-2013, 08:40 PM   #20
yoelev
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3g View Post
here's a cartest comparison that I ran between 2 supercharged cars, the only difference being the 3.62 diff.

they are almost identical (the 3.62 is just slightly quicker) in all runs that span multiple gears.

if you run some tests without shifts you can clearly see the advantage of the 3.62 gears comparing gear for gear.

in 60-90 the 3.62 car is over 1/2 second faster in 4th gear, but the stock car can actually do this in 3rd while the 3.62 car needs to shift, and in 3rd the stock car is faster than the 3.62 car in 4th.

Overall i think this mod probably makes the car feel quite a bit faster but the actual performance is about the same plus you lose quite a bit of top speed.
these numbers prove how much faster the 3.62 is. and in terms of shifting, um. we're talking about milliseconds.
      06-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #21
yoelev
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
your opinion is noted. i however think the money spent is VERY MUCH worth it and would recommend it wholeheartedly. if OP was closer i would offer him a ride. but i think he would end up wanting the whole package on my car.
      06-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #22
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

Quote:
these numbers prove how much faster the 3.62 is. and in terms of shifting, um. we're talking about milliseconds.
i guess it depends on what you are looking at. You should be looking at the lowest numbers for each run, because nobody is going to do a 60-130 run and start in 6th gear. In that case you would expect the 3.62 gears to be just about 15% faster, and it is.

1/4 mile 3.62 is 1/10th faster, 60-120 3.15 is 2/10ths faster, 60-130 3.62 is .5/10th's faster. Overall it's really close.

It's not the time of the shift that is important, it's that with the 3.62 gears you are shifting into the next gear 15% sooner, during that time the car with the stock gears is putting more torque to the ground because it is still in the lower gear.

I'm not saying it isn't a good mod, obviously the improved feeling of torque is a big plus. I just wouldn't expect any actual increase in performance.
Appreciate 0