BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

02-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

SCCA T2 (UPDATED 6/1/12 NOW NASA GTS-4) build with an E92 M3!

UPDATED TO A NASA GTS-4 BUILD

We figured we better post our race car build where the track guys hang out
Its coming close to race season and our E92 M3 is getting read for some wheel to wheel action with our first race in May! We just finished up the roll cage and currently working on fitting the dashboard and making the beauty panels.

When we first started this build it was in November and we have been slowly getting ready (Customers always first!) What is unusually about this build is we will be removing most of our modifications (from when it was a street car) and only keeping the JRZ triple adjustable struts/shocks. Due to the SCCA T2 rules the E92 M3 is not allowed modifications yet, or even upgraded springs and brakes (we can upgrade to stainless lines and upgraded fluid and pads) . We are allowed to upgrade the struts/shocks and so is any other car in class, as long as they keep the stock location/mounting points and stock springs.

For our class some of the E92 M3 restrictions are we must weigh at least 3700lbs with driver after the race is over. 18x10 max wheel size for front and rear. Max tire size of 295/35/18

A few goodies have been coming in such as our fire extinguisher system which is pretty cool because it is a push button style release instead of pull.

What it used to look like as a track day car.

JRZ SUSPENSION WE ARE RUNNING

Interior completely stripped out

ROLL CAGE

Last edited by VSmotorsports; 06-01-2012 at 05:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #2
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Looking forward to watching this beast on track, racing. Well done
      02-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Awesome cage! I like how the driver's side uses Nascar doors for added protection, but the passenger side doesn't. I assume this was to save some weight instead of retaining symmetry?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Great build out, I love it!
      02-21-2012, 03:07 AM   #5
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

badass cage!

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 07:05 AM   #6
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Can't wait to see this car on the track, what's your target for your first race weekend? Blackhawk?

flip - On the cages I've had, I want that side to be able to give a little more than the driver's side in an impact to slow the decel, you don't have that option on the driver's side where preventing intrusion into the cockpit is the primary concern. You can actually probably save some more weight by adding a NASCAR bar on the passenger side even with the additional bars because the rules typically allow you to gut the door when you do a NASCAR bar. But on this car they're going to be running like 150lb of lead to make weight so I bet it wasn't an issue?

This is the place for this thread, that "hey look we bolted on a bunch of catalog parts" forum is fun to look at but not exactly motorsports-focused

Last edited by Richbot; 02-21-2012 at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Can't wait to see this car on the track, what's your target for your first race weekend? Blackhawk?

flip - On the cages I've had, I want that side to be able to give a little more than the driver's side in an impact to slow the decel, you don't have that option on the driver's side where preventing intrusion into the cockpit is the primary concern. You can actually probably save some more weight by adding a NASCAR bar on the passenger side even with the additional bars because the rules typically allow you to gut the door when you do a NASCAR bar. But on this car they're going to be running like 150lb of lead to make weight so I bet it wasn't an issue?

This is the place for this thread, that "hey look we bolted on a bunch of catalog parts" forum is fun to look at but not exactly motorsports-focused
Definitely good information! Thanks!

What I love about VS Motorsports is that amongst all the vendors in the industry, they are one of the few shops that are actually involved in motorsports, sponsor cars, and race their own. It truly does set them apart from the others.

Every time I take my own car there, their vast track experience is very apparent when they are able to provide good advice about products and car setup.

I can't wait to see this beast on some of the local tracks! Keep it up VSM!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 09:04 AM   #8
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
amazing job as usual cant wait to stop by today and check it out!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #9
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
Looking forward to watching this beast on track, racing. Well done
Thanks our first race is May 12-13th at blackhawk farms. We will be sure to post up when our races are if you would like to come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
Awesome cage! I like how the driver's side uses Nascar doors for added protection, but the passenger side doesn't. I assume this was to save some weight instead of retaining symmetry?
Thanks Alex. The driver side was nascar for driver protection but since we will not have any passengers and no extra room was needed in the cabin the passenger side was made as an X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Great build out, I love it!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the infamous... View Post
badass cage!
Thank you

Quote:

Yep our first weekend will be at blackhawk but we will be going out to autobahn before hand to do some laps. We also might be doing one special race this year. All depends, but we have one free entry to world challenge and since there is a class were T2 cars fall in we may be doing one race.

We originally had an x-brace on our e46 m3 passenger side but the door was gutted so we either had to build a nascar style door bar or find a door that has not been gutted. So we opted for the Nascar but on the E92 we decided on keeping the x-brace and the door together. We will have some more pictures to show later too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
Definitely good information! Thanks!

What I love about VS Motorsports is that amongst all the vendors in the industry, they are one of the few shops that are actually involved in motorsports, sponsor cars, and race their own. It truly does set them apart from the others.

Every time I take my own car there, their vast track experience is very apparent when they are able to provide good advice about products and car setup.

I can't wait to see this beast on some of the local tracks! Keep it up VSM!
Thanks Alex! Glad we are able to have you as a customer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
amazing job as usual cant wait to stop by today and check it out!
Thanks Mark! Your car is going to look good with a half cage you might have to get one too.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 09:49 AM   #10
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
BASTARDS
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #11
Richbot
Major General
Rep

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...rack-march.pdf

Looks like you're going to be able to go bigger on the brakes in 2013, Brembos have been recommended to the CRB for next year's rules, with good ducting, fluid and pads in T2 I wonder if you'll find it's not worth the weight penalty

If you need more brake Blackhawk will definitely make sure you know about it...

Might also want to write a letter to get the weight of the car dropped in T2 as it looks like the CRB is speed up the class, and the Camaro and Mustang both got a reduction for 2013.

Last edited by Richbot; 02-21-2012 at 01:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #12
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...rack-march.pdf

Looks like you're going to be able to go bigger on the brakes in 2013, Brembos have been recommended to the CRB for next year's rules, with good ducting, fluid and pads in T2 I wonder if you'll find it's not worth the weight penalty

If you need more brake Blackhawk will definitely make sure you know about it...

Might also want to write a letter to get the weight of the car dropped in T2 as it looks like the CRB is speed up the class, and the Camaro and Mustang both got a reduction for 2013.
Wow thats funny because I actually just wrote a letter asking for a brake upgrade.
(6. #7301 (Matt Samojedny) Front brake kit for E92 M3
Thank you for your request. Please see letter #7059 (Tech Bulletin).
Guess I wasn't the only one thinking that.

Weight is a big one, would like to get some stiffer springs on the car too.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #13
Richbot
Major General
Rep

I'm sure right now with nobody having really turned a wheel yet in the E92 they're going to wait and see for any mid-season changes, but if the weight is clearly way off they might make a change. I would think the IRS will help bigtime against the Mustang at the Ruboffs as the M3 will be able to use parts of the track that the Mustang will skip across, I'm thinking of the T1, T5, T8, T14 track-out and the T6 and T7 apexes. Have you been on track with the stick-axle car in the E46? I've never been close to a Mustang or 4th-gen F-body car at Road America to see how they handle the rumbles, but McDermid sure stayed the heck away from them when I was watching in T5.
      02-21-2012, 09:31 PM   #14
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 n54 e92xi, 6mt, kw v3

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
Someone knows how to lay a bead.... Nice. If I could do that, I wouldn't paint the cage.
      02-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #15
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleckzandr View Post
Someone knows how to lay a bead.... Nice. If I could do that, I wouldn't paint the cage.
yes VS knows how t lay it down!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 09:46 PM   #16
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 n54 e92xi, 6mt, kw v3

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
Quote:
Yeah, I don't know if I should drool over the bead photos or the JRZ photos. Edit: keepin' the thread "safe"

Last edited by IN54NITY; 02-21-2012 at 10:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #17
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm sure right now with nobody having really turned a wheel yet in the E92 they're going to wait and see for any mid-season changes, but if the weight is clearly way off they might make a change. I would think the IRS will help bigtime against the Mustang at the Ruboffs as the M3 will be able to use parts of the track that the Mustang will skip across, I'm thinking of the T1, T5, T8, T14 track-out and the T6 and T7 apexes. Have you been on track with the stick-axle car in the E46? I've never been close to a Mustang or 4th-gen F-body car at Road America to see how they handle the rumbles, but McDermid sure stayed the heck away from them when I was watching in T5.
We never got any real solid lap times yet either besides late last year but not in a T2 set up. It was this car with the Dinan exhaust,4.10,Dinan springs, Dinan intake, DTC-70 and stock shocks. We were able to pull about a 2:30 flat with worn BFG R1. Then with the same set up as above with the JRZ installed and brand new set of Hoosier A6 we were able to pull off a 2:32 but it was a much hotter weekend. (We will be running BFG this year as they will be sponsoring us. One good thing is we ran their new compound at runoffs the BFG R1S and ran the fastest time we have in the E46 with them)

All of that was at a weight of 3500 without the driver. So a little lighter than T2 spec. I know when Boden ran the E92 for qualifying during runoffs the best he got was 2:31 flat but he was also having some weird car troubles.

Never really got a good look at the new 5.0 as the one was always about 3 seconds faster and the others were a little slower than us at runoffs. We will see how the year goes. The Z4M got a lot this year so that could be a really fast car.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, I don't know if I should drool over the bead photos or the JRZ photos. Edit: keepin' the thread "safe"
Hahah thanks guys. It definitely looks pretty.

Here is a picture of the dashboard installed. We should have the paneling for the rear block off panels and the passenger door done soon. Also we have some nice carbon fiber pieces coming for the dashboard.

Last edited by VSmotorsports; 02-23-2012 at 02:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #18
Richbot
Major General
Rep

The bfg's are going to be tough this year glad they are getting behind you. I also wonder if goodyear is going to get back into big tires as the gscs is pretty awesome, just expensive
      02-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #19
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Great build.

So you have to use the stock progressive springs with the SUPER COOL shocks???

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 02:42 PM   #20
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The bfg's are going to be tough this year glad they are getting behind you. I also wonder if goodyear is going to get back into big tires as the gscs is pretty awesome, just expensive
Hopefully they are good as we think they might be. We didn't have good results with the first BFG R1 with the E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Great build.

So you have to use the stock progressive springs with the SUPER COOL shocks???

Yep. For class rules we are not allowed to have springs or sway bars. At least not yet, it is something we can lobby for but it has to be approved. They try to keep all cars in the T2 class equal, so not every car is allowed the same mods.
When we ran our e46 m3 we were allowed turner springs and sway bars.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #21
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #22
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Couple pictures before we sent it off to the body shop!

Appreciate 0