BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

12-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe

Tracking Newb needs advice on pads

Hey guys. I just started tracking my car. I'm slow and still learning. I am on oem brakes and pads. What pads do you recommend for a M3 that will see about 3 - 4 track days per year. Also what fluid would you recommend.

I have already upgraded the brake lines to ECS teflon/ss.

TIA!
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Checkout Stop Tech Street performance pads and Motul RBF600 fluid.........Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
stay stock until you start fading
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
seconded. The stock pads will crumble and cause pad deposits at anything past 8/10 or so, and once you hit that point it becomes very annoying. Not to mention ST pads are cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 12:06 AM   #5
Protocav
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GewoW View Post
stay stock until you start fading
seconded. Stock pads are great for dual purpose track/street. lots of initial bite which is nice on the street, and plenty of power on the track while you learn.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 08:21 AM   #6
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
The Stoptech pads are OK for the track but IMO a dedicated high temp track pads are the way to go. If for no other reason it gives you a forced opportunity to check your brakes, suspension, and tires before and after. Just like tires, need the right pad for the right application. Stoptech specifies light track use...not sure what that means. So I guess they will work if you drive lightly? But E9Xs are heavy pigs and your front brakes take a beating. Better safe with pads built for use at the track than sorry with fading brakes if you ask me.

PF01s are good but don't last very long on the OEM brakes. If cost is a concern, I'd look at a high temp endurance pad like a Pagid Yellow or PF06. There are many others out there.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #7
Car54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M-Sport Wagon - EBII

If you cook your stock pads and get a vibration, don't panic! You're ready for track pads, and putting track pads on your car after it vibrates will fix the vibration. It's just pad material getting unevenly smeared on your rotors. Again, don't panic! In a pinch...seek out other people with your car and track pads...borrow their used up pads for a couple days and it will clean the rotors right up. PM me...I always have pads just for this reason.

With the OEM pads, be sure to drive for 5-10 minutes after your last braking session, never rest your foot on the pedal after coming off the track. When you pit, shut the car off and use the clutch to stop the car. Park it in gear, no ebrake.
      12-14-2012, 08:23 AM   #8
Car54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M-Sport Wagon - EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
The Stoptech pads are OK for the track but IMO a dedicated high temp track pads are the way to go. If for no other reason it gives you a forced opportunity to check your brakes, suspension, and tires before and after. Just like tires, need the right pad for the right application. Stoptech specifies light track use...not sure what that means. So I guess they will work if you drive lightly? But E9Xs are heavy pigs and your front brakes take a beating. Better safe with pads built for use at the track than sorry with fading brakes if you ask me.

PF01s are good but don't last very long on the OEM brakes. If cost is a concern, I'd look at a high temp endurance pad like a Pagid Yellow or Performance Friction PFC08. There are many others out there.
Fixed that for ya
      12-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
Fixed that for ya
Thanks! You've always got my back...you PF whore!
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 10:13 AM   #10
ortho281
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
If you are only tracking 3-4 days and running less than 80% then may be ok with OEM pads. If experiencing fade with OEM pads then switch to StopTech street performance pads. They have excellent cold (street) and hot (track) friction, are quiet and have a MOT of 1300F. The Motul RBF600 is hard to beat, but changing fluid frequent is more important than which DOT 4 fluid you use.

Quote:

PF01s are good but don't last very long on the OEM brakes. If cost is a concern, I'd look at a high temp endurance pad like a Pagid Yellow or PF06. There are many others out there.
Agreed, but OP is only tracking 3-4 days/year, and so may never need a full race pad. The ST street performance would do.

Akra GT4 / MS Stage 2 / MS UDP / BPM Tune / KW CS / H&R Sways / TMS Delrin / ST 380/355 BBK / Cantrell 2.5" Ducts / SR34 Pads / Apex Arc-8 / Hoosier R7's / Mode GT4 Splitter / GT4 Canards / APR GT-250 Wing / Cantrell Half Cage / Recaro Pro Racer / Schroth Profi II-6 / BMW Alcantera Wheel / Cool Shirt / ESS Fire Supp / Solo DL

Last edited by ortho281; 12-14-2012 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #11
IrishCoffee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

I got Endless MX72 for dual street and track use and they are excellent. They are pricey but don't squeak when you're on the street. Plus they work great on the track and don't fade.

Not having to change the pads before and after every event is nice. I'll still put my stocks back in if I'm not going to track for several months but it is nice to have the option of leaving them in too.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #12
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho281 View Post
Agreed, but OP is only tracking 3-4 days/year, and so may never need a full race pad. The ST street performance would do.
Disagree based on the assumption that you want to consistently do every session throughout the weekend. Occasional days are even more of a reason to change your pads.

1. Nothing worse that showing up to track with 30% of the pad life remaining only to find out by the 3rd session of the first day that you're out of pads. Then you need to change hot brakes at the track. Once the pads get thinner, they wear faster because they get hotter.

2. You have to pull the wheels and tires off to change the pads. What a great opportunity to look at your suspension, wheels and tires to make sure that everything is good to go before and after the track event. At a minumum, you should be pulling the wheel to look at the backside pad.

If you less fuss or cost is an issue then the ST pads might be the way to go.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 01:33 PM   #13
Richard@M-World
United_States
Rep
Drives: NASA TTA #92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
seconded. The stock pads will crumble and cause pad deposits at anything past 8/10 or so, and once you hit that point it becomes very annoying. Not to mention ST pads are cheaper.
+1

Amazon.com is your friend.
      12-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #14
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys for all your responses. Your advice is greatly appreciated!
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #15
GTM_Challenge
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

While the OEM pads may be adequate, I can't, in good conscience, recommend them.

They may work fine for your needs, and might have worked fine for others needs. But until you get out there and start driving, you're not going to know.

There is nothing worse than have to leave a track weekend early because you are not properly equipped. Do yourself a favor and get the upgraded pads. I'd rather see you over-prepared, then packing up at lunch time.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #16
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
im very sorry but if someone has never tracked before and is just starting and makes the stock pads fade....you are simply NOT learning properly

the only reason to upgrade pads early is to waste your money. when and only when you start noticing fade because you are fast enough (while remaining safe) to ellicit it, then...by all means...upgrade
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 06:29 PM   #17
AxisMagi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 Lemans Blue

I recently tried the stock brakes with hybrid street/track pad route
using Endless MX72's. They had some squeak on the street
(unusual for these pads according to Endless rep) but great feel,
overall would say they are excellent pads for spirited driving and light
track use.

However, as I gain more track experience I'm overheating them
with uneven pad transfer. I have a supercharger, was on a pretty
fast track, getting better and was trying to brake later.

Since I'm planning to track more often (it's more addictive than crack!)
I decided to just do things right from the start and get a BBK and use
dedicated track pads.

OEM street pads are definitely not enough, you'll burn them up quick,
If your just doing a few track days a year hybrids will work great and you
wont have to change them out. I think dedicated pads are the way to go
once your really into it and going to the track regularly.

If your interested to try set of almost new Endless MX72's give me a shout.

Axis

Last edited by AxisMagi; 12-14-2012 at 06:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 07:40 PM   #18
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
im very sorry but if someone has never tracked before and is just starting and makes the stock pads fade....you are simply NOT learning properly

the only reason to upgrade pads early is to waste your money. when and only when you start noticing fade because you are fast enough (while remaining safe) to ellicit it, then...by all means...upgrade
I agree that the best learning platform is a stock car with good street tires...except for the pads. I remember my first weekend in my 330...cooked a brand new set of HP Ceramics down to a 1/8" in 6 session. Was I an idiot then? Yes but different people will do different stupid things so I'm not sure what anyone fading their brakes is not learning properly means. I am still an idiot? Probably. But I paid for 8 sessions, had to go home after 6 sessions. I see the lesson to be learned here is braking smoothness and management. But at the same time how much will you learn when you go into corner wondering if your brakes will work when you step on the pedal?

I see better high temperature pads as a safety/reliability upgrade. I wouldn't think a novice needs a seat and harness but that's something that I would recommend a novice look into. Unlike supercharging their engine or jumping right into R-comps.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 12:42 AM   #19
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Quote:
I agree that the best learning platform is a stock car with good street tires...except for the pads. I remember my first weekend in my 330...cooked a brand new set of HP Ceramics down to a 1/8" in 6 session. Was I an idiot then? Yes but different people will do different stupid things so I'm not sure what anyone fading their brakes is not learning properly means. I am still an idiot? Probably. But I paid for 8 sessions, had to go home after 6 sessions. I see the lesson to be learned here is braking smoothness and management. But at the same time how much will you learn when you go into corner wondering if your brakes will work when you step on the pedal?

I see better high temperature pads as a safety/reliability upgrade. I wouldn't think a novice needs a seat and harness but that's something that I would recommend a novice look into. Unlike supercharging their engine or jumping right into R-comps.
I agree with what youre saying to a certain extent, but i maintain my point of view. If you are beginning to learn how to track a car, your speeds should not be high and your braking should be early and slower. In a 20 minute session, you will not make the stock pads fade. I guess its also track dependent, but still. By all means, buy better pads. Have them in case you need them, but stick to the stock. When you start noticing fade, change them. This would also give you a physical indication of the fact that you are faster and braking harder.

I would also like to specify that my advice applies to someone who has NEVER tracked before. If you have already been on a track woth another car and understand the intricacies of this passtime, then by all means yes...start with better pads.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #20
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
I agree with what youre saying to a certain extent, but i maintain my point of view. If you are beginning to learn how to track a car, your speeds should not be high and your braking should be early and slower. In a 20 minute session, you will not make the stock pads fade. I guess its also track dependent, but still. By all means, buy better pads. Have them in case you need them, but stick to the stock. When you start noticing fade, change them. This would also give you a physical indication of the fact that you are faster and braking harder.

I would also like to specify that my advice applies to someone who has NEVER tracked before. If you have already been on a track woth another car and understand the intricacies of this passtime, then by all means yes...start with better pads.
Beginners dragging the brakes can stress the pads out more than a good driver braking quick and hard. And how does switching to less expensive ST pads "waste money"? I've had green students fade their brakes in various cars, it isn't unusual depending on the track.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 06:40 PM   #21
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
Beginners dragging the brakes can stress the pads out more than a good driver braking quick and hard. And how does switching to less expensive ST pads "waste money"? I've had green students fade their brakes in various cars, it isn't unusual depending on the track.

Do you have a link to where I can buy the ST pads?

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #22
Merlosso
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggynuts01 View Post
Do you have a link to where I can buy the ST pads?
Fronts:

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-12...35-e9x-m3.aspx

Rears:

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-12...1m-e9x-m3.aspx
Appreciate 0