BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

03-19-2014, 03:35 PM   #1
grantmax
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP

Throttle adaptation procedure?

The traffic filled streets of Los Angeles mean I have to granny-mode my car most of the time. This doesn't bother me. However, when I want power, my car (and throttle) has been lulled to sleep. This does bother me.

Is there any way to reset the throttle adaptations manually? Driving hard for a couple days to reset the behavior isn't an option.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 04:52 PM   #2
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Someone just mentioned in another thread that it's done via INPA -- there's a menu option under adaptions for "reset". I was hoping it would be possible with the BMWhat app, but no one can confirm that.
      03-20-2014, 01:04 PM   #3
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Resetting it is not necessary unless the throttle actuators or pedal sensor have been replaced.

It's a common misconception that the response will be poor from driving it around like a baby for awhile. This is not what the adaptations are for. Best thing to do would be to enable power mode, sport plus, or get a custom tune tailored to your liking.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 01:21 PM   #4
grantmax
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Resetting it is not necessary unless the throttle actuators or pedal sensor have been replaced.

It's a common misconception that the response will be poor from driving it around like a baby for awhile. This is not what the adaptations are for. Best thing to do would be to enable power mode, sport plus, or get a custom tune tailored to your liking.
What if I've felt the difference?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 09:34 AM   #5
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sprint car

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmax View Post
What if I've felt the difference?
Many of us have experienced the sluggish behavior that you're talking about after days and days of slow city and rush hour driving. No, sport mode throttle mapping won't solve that - lol. Also like you, many of us have noticed that after a few days of spirited driving, the good old snappy response will reappear. I never drive in sport mode because I hate it...so my experiences can't be explained by throttle mapping. I understand that weather can affect performance; but I don't think that's the cause either. I first noticed the sluggishness and the return to normal performance in the middle of the summer when the weather was hot, dry, and consistently 100-108 degrees. So I don't think that's the cause.

If it's not caused by adaptations, then what does cause it? I don't understand why we're supposed to believe that adaptations can increase power but can't decrease it. In fact, adaptations increasing power seems to defy the entropy law of physics and the decrease in power makes perfect logical sense based on my understanding of the MSS60 (which admittedly is like a black box).

I do think it's real and not a placebo because many people have experienced the same thing. In my case, I ruled out weather and throttle mapping. So I guess we still don't have any answers and at least for now it will remain a mystery.

Last edited by regular guy; 03-21-2014 at 09:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 05:58 PM   #6
jeff4598
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C HS, DCT, much Dinan

No doubt at all re adaptation: what is most objective is that it stops auto- downshifts on hard breaking. Restore by revving over 5500 rpm and taking foot off gas several times.
Appreciate 0