BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

03-07-2014, 04:48 PM   #1
mikeycamp28
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
pulleys

okay so im looking into pulleys for my 2013 e92 m3, but i been seeing all these negative posts about how they got problems making weird noise and how dinan says dont bother with these upgrade and so on. does anyone have pulleys that have no problems what so ever with this upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 05:21 PM   #2
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Have the Dinan pulley and it does make a light squealing noise once in a while when cold at full steering lock (something you're not supposed to do anyway) but Dinan assured me that it's normal. However, there are no other problems with it, and temperatures (both oil and water/coolant) are just a few degrees (maybe 3) higher than stock when on the track. Hard to feel a power difference as it is mostly at high rpms, but dynos definitely show proven gains of 10-11 hp if you're into the "every hp counts" type of view.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
manari06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3, 2016 X5 50i

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E92  [9.50]
2007 335I Coupe  [10.00]
Got AA and never had any noises or problems with it! Which is coming off soon as I bought an ESS SC!!!

Last edited by manari06; 03-08-2014 at 08:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 06:43 PM   #4
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeycamp28 View Post
okay so im looking into pulleys for my 2013 e92 m3, but i been seeing all these negative posts about how they got problems making weird noise and how dinan says dont bother with these upgrade and so on. does anyone have pulleys that have no problems what so ever with this upgrade?
Nothing wrong with pulleys, its a very good "bang for the buck" mod. We posted a tech article here that should help answer some questions:

Bang for the Buck Mods: Macht Schnell UDPs & Dyno Findings
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649151

Let me know if you have any questions.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 08:55 PM   #5
W Cole
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Does anyone know if there is a brand of pulley that doesn't underdrive the power steering? I ended up taking my pulleys off because I did not like dealing with the power steering lag and stiff steering at low speeds.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 09:11 PM   #6
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I have a Dinan, never once ever has made a noise and there the only company that doesnt effect warranty and the BMW dealer uses there stuff. Best pulley hands down IMO.
      03-07-2014, 09:31 PM   #7
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
Have the Dinan pulley and it does make a light squealing noise once in a while when cold at full steering lock (something you're not supposed to do anyway) but Dinan assured me that it's normal. However, there are no other problems with it, and temperatures (both oil and water/coolant) are just a few degrees (maybe 3) higher than stock when on the track. Hard to feel a power difference as it is mostly at high rpms, but dynos definitely show proven gains of 10-11 hp if you're into the "every hp counts" type of view.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmike View Post
I have a Dinan, never once ever has made a noise and there the only company that doesnt effect warranty and the BMW dealer uses there stuff. Best pulley hands down IMO.
I have the Dinan pulley as well. I agree with FogCity that there is a very faint, high-pitched, almost whistle-like sound at full lock when it is cold. It sounds like it would be crazy annoying but it's not, mostly because (1) you're rarely at full lock, and (2) at those speeds the cam gears are fairly loud and the whistle/squeal from the power-steering pump pretty much blends in with that.

That said, my biggest gripe with the Dinan pulley is that the power-steering belt is crazy, insanely, unbelievably hard to install. I literally could not get it on with help from another member here. It also stumped several mechanics at BMW dealerships, including one who installs a lot of Dinan stuff. Thus, I am a bit worried about what might happen if the belt breaks and I need to replace it.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably have gone with a Turner pulley. Aside from being a big fan of Turner stuff in general, my understanding is that the belts for their pulley is not as much of a gigantic PITA as the Dinan ones.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 09:43 PM   #8
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
I have a Dinan, never once ever has made a noise and there the only company that doesnt effect warranty and the BMW dealer uses there stuff.
Not true. Dinan will provide their own warranty for the remaining term of your BMW warranty period.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 03:39 AM   #9
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
but dynos definitely show proven gains of 10-11 hp if you're into the "every hp counts" type of view.
Really?...its what, a 20% underdrive pulley? and that gives 10hp. So if you ran no belts at all you would gain ~50hp. A water pump and a PS pump (plus a freewheeling alternator and AC pump at WOT) consuming the same amount of power as a small car! That doesn't sound very likely.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 08:49 AM   #10
Trip3's
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Nothing wrong with pulleys, its a very good "bang for the buck" mod. We posted a tech article here that should help answer some questions:

Bang for the Buck Mods: Macht Schnell UDPs & Dyno Findings
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649151

Let me know if you have any questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Really?...its what, a 20% underdrive pulley? and that gives 10hp. So if you ran no belts at all you would gain ~50hp. A water pump and a PS pump (plus a freewheeling alternator and AC pump at WOT) consuming the same amount of power as a small car! That doesn't sound very likely.
If you look at the link that Tom provided you can see the dyno. Why is EVERYTHING a conspiracy with you? Do you run around the house with a tinfoil helmet on? I understand not believing everything you read blindly, but when there is evidence (EAS, as well as others...do a simple search) supporting it, why question the validity?
      03-08-2014, 08:59 AM   #11
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip3's View Post
If you look at the link that Tom provided you can see the dyno. Why is EVERYTHING a conspiracy with you? Do you run around the house with a tinfoil helmet on? I understand not believing everything you read blindly, but when there is evidence (EAS, as well as others...do a simple search) supporting it, why question the validity?
You are probably right....I'll get my hat.

Last edited by SenorFunkyPants; 03-08-2014 at 09:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #12
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
I have the Dinan pulley as well. I agree with FogCity that there is a very faint, high-pitched, almost whistle-like sound at full lock when it is cold. It sounds like it would be crazy annoying but it's not, mostly because (1) you're rarely at full lock, and (2) at those speeds the cam gears are fairly loud and the whistle/squeal from the power-steering pump pretty much blends in with that.

That said, my biggest gripe with the Dinan pulley is that the power-steering belt is crazy, insanely, unbelievably hard to install. I literally could not get it on with help from another member here. It also stumped several mechanics at BMW dealerships, including one who installs a lot of Dinan stuff. Thus, I am a bit worried about what might happen if the belt breaks and I need to replace it.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably have gone with a Turner pulley. Aside from being a big fan of Turner stuff in general, my understanding is that the belts for their pulley is not as much of a gigantic PITA as the Dinan ones.
It was hard to get the belt on until i figured out "The Trick", so it was 5 hours of being pissed off, then 30 seconds after"The Trick"

I live in Michigan and its COLD, drove it yesterday it was 40 degrees and wet from melting snow and even at full lock no noise at all.
      03-08-2014, 01:53 PM   #13
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep

Yes, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 04:48 PM   #14
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It was hard to get the belt on until i figured out "The Trick", so it was 5 hours of being pissed off, then 30 seconds after"The Trick"

I live in Michigan and its COLD, drove it yesterday it was 40 degrees and wet from melting snow and even at full lock no noise at all.
What is "the trick"? To get it on, the wrenches at the second dealer I went to had to put the lip of the belt on the last pulley, then turn the engine over slowly and let that pull it on. Not sure I'd be able to do that myself.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 07:43 PM   #15
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep

Would like to know the trick as well... Dinan service center put on my pulley so don't know what they did. I remember someone saying a while back that they heated the belt to get it around the tensioners, but always wondered if this was true.

When I brought in my car for the installation of the strut braces, I mentioned the squealing noise at full lock and they said that was completely normal (even checked the bolts on the pulleys). The mechanic assured me that the belt "is never coming off" due to the deliberate undersizing of it.

Quote:
What is "the trick"? To get it on, the wrenches at the second dealer I went to had to put the lip of the belt on the last pulley, then turn the engine over slowly and let that pull it on. Not sure I'd be able to do that myself.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 07:55 PM   #16
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Another bump for the Dinan pulley. I've been running it for about 37k miles and the gains are noticeable above 3500 rpm. Also, the magic squeal at full lock is normal. Operating temps and steering feel are great.......even while on track in the Houston heat .........Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 08:58 AM   #17
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
I like my pullies, but the p.s. pulley doesnt grab the belt very well and I can twist the pulley with my hands despite the belt on there as tight as it can be.

its not worrisome, but it does make an awful noise after you wash the engine bay....
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 11:12 AM   #18
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Would like to know the trick as well... Dinan service center put on my pulley so don't know what they did. I remember someone saying a while back that they heated the belt to get it around the tensioners, but always wondered if this was true.

When I brought in my car for the installation of the strut braces, I mentioned the squealing noise at full lock and they said that was completely normal (even checked the bolts on the pulleys). The mechanic assured me that the belt "is never coming off" due to the deliberate undersizing of it.
Its really simple, you get belt on all the pulleys except the the bottom tensioner (grove less) put a socket and ratchet on the tensioner bolt with the belt on top of the socket and then you use both hands to angle the back of the belt up where the angled part is on top of the tensioner and pull up hard with both hands and it will slide on.

EDIT:
I should add if you can have a second person simply push down on the ratchet it makes it even easier, use a long ratchet if you can also.

Last edited by Someone?; 03-12-2014 at 03:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 02:08 PM   #19
mikeycamp28
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
awesome input guys! keep you all posted after my tune and pulley install!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 08:03 PM   #20
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by manari06 View Post
Got AA and never had any noises or problems with it!
^This

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0