BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

02-20-2013, 02:19 AM   #1
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Can't get GC sway bar end links to connect to the sway bar

I'm installing Ground Control coilovers. According to the DIY, the car should be on the ground, and then you're supposed to reach under the car and attach the end links. I tried it that way, but they won't reach. Even if I twist them so that there's barely any thread left connecting the top and bottom liinks, they won't reach. My assembly looks just like this

with the space between the end link collar and the the bottom of the threaded sleeve at approximately 3mm.

If I jack the car up (jack stands under the jacking point in the front) and try it, they work just fine, and I can get them to reach. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 06:51 AM   #2
Car54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M-Sport Wagon - EBII

Lower your shock side attachment point.
      02-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
PINHEAD
Motorsport Passion!!!
Monaco
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS/911R

its fine to attach it when the car is off the ground.
just lower the car back down and adjust it to equal the tension on the sway bar. make sure to turn the steering wheel right and left to resettle the shock when the car is back on the ground before you set the endlinks.
      02-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #4
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
Lower your shock side attachment point.
That was my first thought, as well. I was a bit reluctant about doing that because:

a) the location I have them is pretty much the location that they're supposed to be, according to the DIY. I marked the bottom of the old shock attachment point and lined up the new piece right below that mark, as per the DIY and

b) as I've looked at all the pics of the various installs on this forum, they all look like the pic above. The only difference is every install that I've seen is on a coupe, and I have a sedan.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
Car54
Captain
Rep

The sway bar connection points should be parallel with the ground...that is specific to "your" ride height. Think of the collars as coarse adjustment and the threaded end links as fine adjustment.

Not sure what the above person is saying because you have to spin the endlinks to adjust...you can't spin them if they are attached.

Also I put a dab of loctite on the threads once I got the preload out. The locknuts wouldn't stay tight.
      02-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #6
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Thank you very much for your insight and assistance. Logically, what I was thinking and what you said makes sense, but, as I said, I didn't see anyone else doing it that way, and I was thinking that there had to be something I was overlooking.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
Not sure what the above person is saying because you have to spin the endlinks to adjust...you can't spin them if they are attached.
Don't the GC sway bar adjustable end links use right and left hand threads on the two ends of the link?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #8
Car54
Captain
Rep

I've not noticed that. I didn't have the issue that OP is and that I was able to work pre-load out.