BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

02-03-2008, 01:18 PM   #1
gbb357
Captain
Rep
Drives: IS300

Top Gear Lexus IS-F review:

http://www.topgear.com/drives/C4/A9/...sts/12/01.html
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 02:55 PM   #2
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Nice find.

Seems like Lexus did a good job with the IS-F. Damn, another competitor.

"Plus, it dresses like a group of Vegas strippers: false bits all over the place. The vents behind the front wheels are just for show, and the side skirts don't appear to have any real use. But the worst bit of fakery are the four exhaust pipes, which are not connected to anything. Really, they're not. The real pipes finish a couple of inches before the four chrome rings even start."

"...it's much harder to give a car soul. To do that you have to understand the passion that makes a car fun to drive, fun to own and worth £50k. BMW has known how to do that for years, and more recently so have Audi and Mercedes. And now, for the first time with the IS-F, Lexus has too."

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 06:57 PM   #3
gbb357
Captain
Rep

Competition is always good. But it obviously still has a lot of learning and improvements to do. Those disconnected exhaust has to go, even though it does'nt really bother me that much.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 07:49 PM   #4
LH1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x

Good review. I wonder if Clarkson and the other guys will like it?

I think not connecting the exhausts was a smart move by Lexus. They look ridiculous and if I was to get one, that'd be the first thing I'd change. Shouldn't take the aftermarket too long to come up with something more appropriate looking.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 12:41 AM   #5
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
But the worst bit of fakery are the four exhaust pipes, which are not connected to anything. Really, they're not. The real pipes finish a couple of inches before the four chrome rings even start."
Although I don't need a journalist to tell me proper diction I am glad that someone whom many respect and believe to be somewhat impartial chose the exact same word that you (gbb) wanted to argue about for pages.

Again, like I've always said, a very fast car, a nice car but with some serious flaws and not anywhere close to the M3.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 10:18 AM   #6
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
While I agree with swamp that it not close to the M3 does it really have to be?

We already have an M3 and we surely don't need a carbon copy, there is many ways to skin a cat and when you look at both the RS4 and C63 you see totally different product competing in the same market place. I don't know about you but if I didn't like how the M3 drove then I would hardly be considering the IS-F it is was something the same.

For me I am expecting the Lexus to offer a smooth and polished interpretation of a hi-performance saloon with a touch of luxury that the other seem to shy away from. It's take the position that Mercedes use to occupy with the C32 and C55.

Would I buy it? No because I am happy with the M3 but I don't doubt it will get some very satisfied customers.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 10:36 AM   #7
gbb357
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Although I don't need a journalist to tell me proper diction I am glad that someone whom many respect and believe to be somewhat impartial chose the exact same word that you (gbb) wanted to argue about for pages.

Again, like I've always said, a very fast car, a nice car but with some serious flaws and not anywhere close to the M3.
If you would've look before you open your mouth, you would've found out that i posted a photo proving once and for all that the exhaust is not connected. And again, look up the meaning of the word "fake". So how exactly would you prove and justify that it is not anywhere close to the M3 if they have'nt been compared with each other yet? So far, straight line performances are pretty close, let's just wait and see till they are compared before you make another "conclusion" that has no proof. MOre than likely the M3 will win especially when it comes to handling.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 02:32 PM   #8
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
gbb357,

You and swamp seem to be as bad as myself and T-Bone. It's not until you see someone else at it do you relies that it's plain stupid to be arguing over what are after all just cars.

Please remind me the next time I start. Probably later on tonight I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 02:54 PM   #9
gbb357
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
gbb357,

You and swamp seem to be as bad as myself and T-Bone. It's not until you see someone else at it do you relies that it's plain stupid to be arguing over what are after all just cars.

Please remind me the next time I start. Probably later on tonight I suppose.
I see your point bro, you're right, it is kinda stupid. But it also makes it more entertaining. As long as it does'nt go too far, i hate it when that happens especially when i do it.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 06:54 PM   #10
spearfisher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

nice find I always enjoy reading articles like that
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 09:57 PM   #11
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

too much FAKERY going on here. have you seen the plastic cover that looks like an engine? it hides a horrible looking mess of wires, excuse for an engine. speaking fo the engine its a worked over (by Yamaha, not Toyota) LS460 motor.
      02-05-2008, 01:21 AM   #12
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
too much FAKERY going on here. have you seen the plastic cover that looks like an engine? it hides a horrible looking mess of wires, excuse for an engine. speaking fo the engine its a worked over (by Yamaha, not Toyota) LS460 motor.
I agree about the looks of the engine but then again the M3s engine is not the best looking engine nor the best looking part of that car. I'm not so sure why folks dis the Lexus engine because it is based on the LS460 motor and because it is massaged/partially tuned/partially devleoped by Yamaha. They make some really mean, high hp/l street bikes that rev to 17.5 k rpm, yes that is 17,500. If you read a list of the innovations and tech. behind this engine I think it is quite respectable. Sodium filled valves - that is cool. Furthermore the M3 V8 is really close to the M5 V10 that is getting a bit aged, simply with two cylinders lopped off. Of course it is a new design but is it in many ways REALLY close to the M5 under the hood.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2008, 09:48 AM   #13
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

Yamaha has long offered high performance tuning consulting services, similar to Porsche and Lotus and others. Remember the Taurus SHO of the mid-80's...220 HP was a lot back then for a sedan, engine developed by Yamaha.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2008, 02:30 PM   #14
abuzzl23p
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i COLOR TBD

i hate the fake pipes too but i hear that they're only on preproduction and press cars

also, i wouldn't complain about engine covers...sure BMW and other performance manufacturers like to display their engines sans coverings but from what i've heard this makes them hard to service because the placement of certain parts makes it hard to get to...the engine covers allow the frequently used parts easy to access without hurting the overall asthetic...not a bad thing
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2008, 04:33 PM   #15
chicagobimmerboy
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Un esotico Italiano ;)

Wait till the GS-F comes out (2011) by that time the F10 M5 should be out
GS-F: 500 HP V10
M5 (next-gen): 600+ V10

No competition, considering the F10 5 series will be lighter and more dynamic than this one. Toyota came too late, and as for that LF-A super car... anyone remember what happend to the NSX (was on competitive for only a model year or so)
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2008, 05:32 PM   #16
gbb357
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobimmerboy View Post
Wait till the GS-F comes out (2011) by that time the F10 M5 should be out
GS-F: 500 HP V10
M5 (next-gen): 600+ V10

No competition, considering the F10 5 series will be lighter and more dynamic than this one. Toyota came too late, and as for that LF-A super car... anyone remember what happend to the NSX (was on competitive for only a model year or so)
As much as i like the NSX, The NSX was underpowered and overpriced. At the time it was out, you could get cars with similar power and performance for half the price. The choices where Supra TT, RX-7, Vette, 300ZX, and 3000GT VR-4 just to name a few. Toyota is not too late, it's never too late. They've already come out with a decent performer with the IS-F that matches the competition. It's just a matter of will it sell.

Last edited by gbb357; 02-05-2008 at 07:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2008, 08:52 PM   #17
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68 View Post
Yamaha has long offered high performance tuning consulting services, similar to Porsche and Lotus and others. Remember the Taurus SHO of the mid-80's...220 HP was a lot back then for a sedan, engine developed by Yamaha.

I agree. my point is that if Toyota and Lexus want a performance image they should be able to build and tune thier on thier own without outside consulting.
      02-06-2008, 07:29 AM   #18
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
I agree. my point is that if Toyota and Lexus want a performance image they should be able to build and tune thier on thier own without outside consulting.
OK, but we are going to agree to disagree here. Outside consulting and outsourcing is standard practice for all the manufacturers. Some examples:

Porsche built cars for Mercedes.
Porsche licensed twin balancing shafts from Mitsubishi.
BMW uses Mitsubishi turbos
GM used Lotus to tune the ZR-1 Vette, and still use much the same head design today.
BMW uses GM transmissions.
Lotus uses BMW engines.
BMW partnered with Peugeot on engine development.

It's really just how the industry works.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 11:02 PM   #19
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68 View Post
OK, but we are going to agree to disagree here. Outside consulting and outsourcing is standard practice for all the manufacturers. Some examples:

Porsche built cars for Mercedes.
Porsche licensed twin balancing shafts from Mitsubishi.
BMW uses Mitsubishi turbos
GM used Lotus to tune the ZR-1 Vette, and still use much the same head design today.
BMW uses GM transmissions.
Lotus uses BMW engines.
BMW partnered with Peugeot on engine development.

It's really just how the industry works.
I still agree with you outsourcing for parts and consulting is common - even to BMW. but not for a ///M engine?? can you imagine the next M5 with a 750il motor tuned by ducati? never happen. thats why Motor is thier middle name.