BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-17-2016, 10:57 PM   #1
Never_Enough
What car next?
Never_Enough's Avatar
United_States
343
Rep
1,537
Posts

Drives: Mazdaspeed6, Miata & Jetta
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: PA

iTrader: (6)

School me on car trailers

Will be in the market for a 1 car open trailer soon. Preferably with a winch.

Anything in particular I should know, do, look for and/or stay away from?
__________________
2006 MAZDASPEED6 GT - Bolt-ons & tune
1997 Miata M Edition - Supercharged & lots more
2017 Jetta
2007 335xi - 12.9 @ 109 MPH SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 11:10 PM   #2
GATORB8
Captain
GATORB8's Avatar
United_States
128
Rep
697
Posts

Drives: 2011 335is 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [4.75]
What are you towing with?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 11:13 PM   #3
MacE90
Private First Class
MacE90's Avatar
11
Rep
157
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i xdrive M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: MT

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I picked up a tilt trailer and while it is sweet, it takes some boards to get my car (on KW1 coilovers) on and off without scraping the front bumper
__________________
'11 335i xdrive // M Sport // FBO // PURE St 2 // Fuel-It Meth PI.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 11:50 PM   #4
Never_Enough
What car next?
Never_Enough's Avatar
United_States
343
Rep
1,537
Posts

Drives: Mazdaspeed6, Miata & Jetta
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: PA

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORB8 View Post
What are you towing with?
Caravan to start.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 11:57 PM   #5
GATORB8
Captain
GATORB8's Avatar
United_States
128
Rep
697
Posts

Drives: 2011 335is 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [4.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedRide View Post
Caravan to start.
As in Dodge?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 12:28 AM   #6
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
1786
Rep
10,166
Posts

Drives: '97 332ti, '16 F82 M4
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORB8 View Post
As in Dodge?
As opposed to camel?
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2016, 12:29 AM   #7
Fundguy1
Major General
Fundguy1's Avatar
1769
Rep
8,344
Posts

Drives: 335 e93
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Orlando, fl

iTrader: (0)

Does it have the tow capacity?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 12:56 AM   #8
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
consolidated's Avatar
135
Rep
1,868
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
If you have limited towing capacity look into lightweight aluminum trailers. Pricey but the hold their value tenaciously. Trailex, Aluma, Featherlite, ATC, Tommy's. Light trailers are a joy to tow with.

No weight concern, then any $2K steel farm trailer works, look for low deck height or you'll need huge ramps. Torsion axles instead of leaf springs. Wood decks eventually need work. Electric tongue jacks are beautiful devices but overkill on an enclosed.

Electric brakes over surge brakes, I like long ramps instead of tilt bed, lockable in-floor spare tire well is a good place for track jack and some tools, removable fenders are helpful for lowered cars with limited door clearance. LED lights because bulbs go out at the worst time.

Go for D or even E rated tires, best you can afford, it's worth it as most trailer tires are utter plop.

Buy longer bed than you need so you can bring fuel jugs, wheels, tools, pop-up, rig with E track and D rings in the floor. And helps distribute the weight if you ever need it, like ass-heavy 911s.

Winch is nice, but not all that needed on an open IMO. I do use a remote winch in my enclosed because it's hard to get out of the car once in.

After years of dealing with an open and towing with a car/SUV most eventually end up buying an enclosed and tow vehicle. Enclosed with marine battery inside, solar charging panel on the roof and electric jack is a great set up.

I've had my enclosed stolen, full of tools and a pit bike, and many friends have had the same happen. Plan for security based on where your storing it...wheel lock/chocks, hitch lock/vault, chains, gps lowjack etc.
__________________
F80 M3 / Mineral Grey-Silverstone / CCB

Last edited by consolidated; 02-18-2016 at 01:22 AM.
Appreciate 3
      02-18-2016, 01:24 AM   #9
GATORB8
Captain
GATORB8's Avatar
United_States
128
Rep
697
Posts

Drives: 2011 335is 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [4.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn
Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORB8 View Post
As in Dodge?
As opposed to camel?
If Google is right, Camels may be better than the Caravan's 1800 lb towing capacity.

Even with the newest model optioned out at 3600 there's not enough for a Z06+trailer. Unless you have Forza level weight reduction.
Appreciate 2
      02-18-2016, 05:37 AM   #10
Mineral5
Private First Class
Mineral5's Avatar
Portugal
24
Rep
109
Posts

Drives: 525d F10 ///M
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: São Martinho do Porto

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
If you have limited towing capacity look into lightweight aluminum trailers. Pricey but the hold their value tenaciously. Trailex, Aluma, Featherlite, ATC, Tommy's. Light trailers are a joy to tow with.

No weight concern, then any $2K steel farm trailer works, look for low deck height or you'll need huge ramps. Torsion axles instead of leaf springs. Wood decks eventually need work. Electric tongue jacks are beautiful devices but overkill on an enclosed.

Electric brakes over surge brakes, I like long ramps instead of tilt bed, lockable in-floor spare tire well is a good place for track jack and some tools, removable fenders are helpful for lowered cars with limited door clearance. LED lights because bulbs go out at the worst time.

Go for D or even E rated tires, best you can afford, it's worth it as most trailer tires are utter plop.

Buy longer bed than you need so you can bring fuel jugs, wheels, tools, pop-up, rig with E track and D rings in the floor. And helps distribute the weight if you ever need it, like ass-heavy 911s.

Winch is nice, but not all that needed on an open IMO. I do use a remote winch in my enclosed because it's hard to get out of the car once in.

After years of dealing with an open and towing with a car/SUV most eventually end up buying an enclosed and tow vehicle. Enclosed with marine battery inside, solar charging panel on the roof and electric jack is a great set up.

I've had my enclosed stolen, full of tools and a pit bike, and many friends have had the same happen. Plan for security based on where your storing it...wheel lock/chocks, hitch lock/vault, chains, gps lowjack etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 07:58 AM   #11
Ric in RVA
Lieutenant
Ric in RVA's Avatar
282
Rep
595
Posts

Drives: '11 BSM 135i M-Sport
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Richmond VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedRide View Post
Caravan to start.
Budget for a transmission.... You need a tow vehicle.
__________________
Ric in RVA
10 3.0 X5 N52, 10 Land Rover LR4, 83 R80, 90 325is M50, 02 Mini Cooper S, 95 Jaguar XJ6
currently e82 less. Seeking 128 i m-sport manual coupe
Appreciate 2
      02-18-2016, 08:07 AM   #12
wdb
dances with roads
wdb's Avatar
United_States
477
Rep
1,194
Posts

Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2007 3.0si Cpe 6spd
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: the perimeter

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric in RVA View Post
Budget for a transmission.... You need a tow vehicle.
^^^^^ This.

Get a Tacoma with a tow package. Nothing hurts their resale value.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 08:19 AM   #13
Fundguy1
Major General
Fundguy1's Avatar
1769
Rep
8,344
Posts

Drives: 335 e93
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Orlando, fl

iTrader: (0)

I'd look for a v8 suv or pickup. You can get cheap. 10 yr old F150, grand cherokee, etc. Caravan will be dead in no time.
Appreciate 2
      02-18-2016, 08:28 AM   #14
Never_Enough
What car next?
Never_Enough's Avatar
United_States
343
Rep
1,537
Posts

Drives: Mazdaspeed6, Miata & Jetta
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: PA

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORB8 View Post
If Google is right, Camels may be better than the Caravan's 1800 lb towing capacity.

Even with the newest model optioned out at 3600 there's not enough for a Z06+trailer. Unless you have Forza level weight reduction.
It will be used for towing wrecked cars & such, not my Z06. Either way, if the Caravan can't handle it then it won't be used.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 08:31 AM   #15
1MOREMOD
2016 Track Days - 3| Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:33:30
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
4847
Rep
18,416
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

My x5d also works well in this capacity
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 11:56 AM   #16
Wrecker335d
OEF Vet
Wrecker335d's Avatar
United_States
239
Rep
1,310
Posts

Drives: unfiltered diesel
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (4)

Get a vehicle designed for towing (the big 3 250/0+ series, Tundras, ect.). Those vans are only supposed to tow small trailers for light stuff. Just because it's rated for the pounds, doesn't mean you should max it out. Trust me on this, the vehicle makes the difference.
__________________
Mods: BPC Stage 3, Meth Injection, BDP downpipe, Wagner intercooler, Koni Yellow/Swift Springs, M3 Control Arms/Strut Bar, MB Quartz Kit/Alpine Amp
Best 1/4mi: 12.24s @ 113.88Mi/h
Dyno: 350whp
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 03:45 PM   #17
Never_Enough
What car next?
Never_Enough's Avatar
United_States
343
Rep
1,537
Posts

Drives: Mazdaspeed6, Miata & Jetta
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: PA

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker335d View Post
Get a vehicle designed for towing (the big 3 250/0+ series, Tundras, ect.). Those vans are only supposed to tow small trailers for light stuff. Just because it's rated for the pounds, doesn't mean you should max it out. Trust me on this, the vehicle makes the difference.
Yea, it's a new venture that my friend & I plan to embark on & the van is his so he has to trade or sell it & then look for a cheap tow rig. PITA
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 06:03 PM   #18
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Ali Shiralian's Avatar
Canada
546
Rep
1,754
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Owen sound, Ontario, canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Do not use a van to tow. I killed my brothers Sienna transmission towing my boat, $15,000 damage. Had to put in a new tranny. It was even 500 pound below the limit. Got a 4Runner and no trouble towing the boat...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 07:00 PM   #19
Nitrousbird
Banned
305
Rep
1,606
Posts

Drives: '07 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Powell, OH

iTrader: (2)

But used - these things hold their value one they take their new trailer depreciation hit. I have an 18' open hauler. If weight is a concern go with aluminum. Make sure you have a trailer brake controller and don't tow cars with a Caravan. Get a vehicle designed to handle the weight. IIRC my trailer alone is 1500lbs and is an open center design.

Removable/tilt fenders are also a must. Me and some friends converted mine to removable.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:43 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST