BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-23-2016, 02:24 PM   #1
WHL102
First Lieutenant
76
Rep
391
Posts

Drives: '16 GTI S, DSG, 4-Door
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Northern NJ

iTrader: (0)

CPO vehicle Carfax

I've been browsing some 2015 CPO's with a few thousand miles on the clock. I can't help but notice how many of them there are and most of them show as up 1-owner leases.

Are these really lease vehicles that were turned in early, or could it have been a loaner car? For example,

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...BFAFL0FN030476

I did notice that one vehicle did actually say "Rental" as its first owner. Accident reported 2 weeks after sale, lol!

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...TD_W#undefined
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 02:32 PM   #2
IndotagSwizz
Major
IndotagSwizz's Avatar
302
Rep
1,050
Posts

Drives: F30 320i
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Miami

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHL102 View Post
I've been browsing some 2015 CPO's with a few thousand miles on the clock. I can't help but notice how many of them there are and most of them show as up 1-owner leases.

Are these really lease vehicles that were turned in early, or could it have been a loaner car? For example,

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...BFAFL0FN030476

I did notice that one vehicle did actually say "Rental" as its first owner. Accident reported 2 weeks after sale, lol!

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...TD_W#undefined
I never put that much into what carfax says... go to any used car dealership almost every car there has a sticker that claims "clean carfax 1 owner" "clean carfax lease return"...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 03:04 PM   #3
WHL102
First Lieutenant
76
Rep
391
Posts

Drives: '16 GTI S, DSG, 4-Door
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Northern NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndotagSwizz View Post
I never put that much into what carfax says... go to any used car dealership almost every car there has a sticker that claims "clean carfax 1 owner" "clean carfax lease return"...
But, if it was a loaner car would that have to be disclosed during sale? Or would it come up on a Carfax? I would buy an off lease or 1 owner vehicle, but a loaner is another story.

I don't put too much into Carfax, but from the two examples above it does help you weed out some of the cars you should RUN from. The second car had 3 owners, an accident 2 weeks after delivery, and open recalls! Omg...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 03:12 PM   #4
IndotagSwizz
Major
IndotagSwizz's Avatar
302
Rep
1,050
Posts

Drives: F30 320i
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Miami

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHL102 View Post
But, if it was a loaner car would that have to be disclosed during sale? Or would it come up on a Carfax? I would buy an off lease or 1 owner vehicle, but a loaner is another story.

I don't put too much into Carfax, but from the two examples above it does help you weed out some of the cars you should RUN from. The second car had 3 owners, an accident 2 weeks after delivery, and open recalls! Omg...
I'm not saying you are wrong I'm just trying to tell you that you are putting too much trust into what carfax, which after all is a business, says. Use it as a reference I guess but other than that things like "clean carfax" "one car owner" "lease return" are all marketing tittles...think about it isn't that exactly what you would want to hear.... it will be hard to sell a car that said "7 owners but mint condition"
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 03:36 PM   #5
WHL102
First Lieutenant
76
Rep
391
Posts

Drives: '16 GTI S, DSG, 4-Door
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Northern NJ

iTrader: (0)

Just FYI, the OMG was for the crappy used car not what you said. I agree it is more of a marketing tool than a resource for the consumer.

Just really wondering whether a loaner car has to be disclosed as such to the customer... or if there would be a way to spot it on a carfax since most CPO's will have one. (For example, the one carfax calls the car a "Rental", instead of a lease or purchase.)
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 03:39 PM   #6
IndotagSwizz
Major
IndotagSwizz's Avatar
302
Rep
1,050
Posts

Drives: F30 320i
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Miami

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHL102 View Post
Just FYI, the OMG was for the crappy used car not what you said. I agree it is more of a marketing tool than a resource for the consumer.

Just really wondering whether a loaner car has to be disclosed as such to the customer... or if there would be a way to spot it on a carfax since most CPO's will have one. (For example, the one carfax calls the car a "Rental", instead of a lease or purchase.)
+1 it would be great to know for a fact whether is a lease return or a rental/loaner
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 04:49 PM   #7
-JLT-
Brigadier General
-JLT-'s Avatar
1363
Rep
3,411
Posts

Drives: '17 M4 'VERT ZCP, '15 X6 50i
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CHITOWN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndotagSwizz View Post
I'm not saying you are wrong I'm just trying to tell you that you are putting too much trust into what carfax, which after all is a business, says. Use it as a reference I guess but other than that things like "clean carfax" "one car owner" "lease return" are all marketing tittles...think about it isn't that exactly what you would want to hear.... it will be hard to sell a car that said "7 owners but mint condition"
dude, what r u talking about. if the car has 1 owner, than Carfax will confirm that. if a car has 7 owners, u can't say it's 1 owner b/c Carfax will confirm that car has 7 owners.
__________________
-JLT-
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 05:08 PM   #8
meehowhow
BMW Enthusiast
meehowhow's Avatar
United_States
46
Rep
282
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 335i e90 Msport
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHL102 View Post
But, if it was a loaner car would that have to be disclosed during sale? Or would it come up on a Carfax? I would buy an off lease or 1 owner vehicle, but a loaner is another story.

I don't put too much into Carfax, but from the two examples above it does help you weed out some of the cars you should RUN from. The second car had 3 owners, an accident 2 weeks after delivery, and open recalls! Omg...
You can spot a loaner when the title was never issued. At least that's what I noticed from my experience
__________________

2014 VW Golf TDI
2011 BMW 335i e90 - Sold
1990 BMW 535i e34 - Sold
2008 BMW 335i e92 - Sold
Appreciate 2
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:40 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST