home
E46 M3 Coupe and Convertible Forum Photos, Videos, Builds

12-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #177
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL M3

All of June 2013 was spent on my honeymoon with the new Misses. We took a three week trip to tour the UK and see all the sights and sounds of that part of the works. I was able to meet up with some real CSL owners in Scotland and talk to them what it was like to own the car and what they do for fun across the pond. Wish I had longer to chat with them but did not want to bore the wife to tears. I will make a thread of the travels but here are the pics I got of the real CSL’s. I have a little tweaking to mine to match it up better to the real ones.

NOTE: These CSL did have AC and Radios. Seems most have creature comforts and only a few were the “hardcore ones”

NorCal drive organizer guy
NorCal CSL build thread - US to CSL Conversion

Last edited by m3dragon; 02-18-2018 at 08:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #178
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #179
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

After visiting Scotland the wife and I made are way to Southern England to see Stone Hedge. After Stone Hedge we headed to Dover on the East Side of England. One of the stop on the way to Dover was to see Dunsfold Aerodrome or for you fans out there the Top Gear Test track.

When we got to Dunsfold we were told by the security guard we could not see the facilities or the Top Gear Hanger because McLaren was filming the new MP12-4C GT. The guard opened the gate so we could drive in and turn around to leave. As we were starting to drive out he asked why were there. I told him that we were on our Honeymoon and we just wanted to see where Top Gear was filmed. After he heard that he told us to wait. He came back in a few minutes and said follow me.

The guard gave us a guided tour of the facilities and told us the history of the Aerodrome, who owns it, future plans, and how he used to work there. I could not share the full details of the story for until the new season of Top Gear started

At the Top Gear hanger we got to see the new reasonably priced cars, the trailers that were really the Top Gear production offices and inside at the studio. It is worth to note that production offices are really the production offices, even though they made jokes about it. When we went into the studio hanger it was not setup for filming Top Gear as they just finished filming a upcoming movie. One last interesting thing is the stars that come on the show enter through a storage closet. All the budget for the show goes into the specials and filming.

While there did see the new McLaren Mp12-4C GT being tested. We could not take pictures of it of course but saw it flying down the runway. It was flat black; fly’s like a bat out of hell and sounds like a whaling banshee.

The guard was so cool that he gave us a few t-shirts he had and official Top Gear script from the episode they won the EMY Award. I had to hold of sharing a lot of this as I said as not to get the guard in trouble for showing us around and hooking us up.

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #180
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

After visiting Dover we went to London. While we were touring around we walked by the Park Lane BMW. They had a M3 GTS in the show room that was in the bright orange paint job. Next to the BMW dealer was one of the new BMW I Showrooms for the new I cars. They had an I8 concept and the frame of an I3. It was rather interesting to see them in person rather than images.

Last edited by m3dragon; 02-18-2018 at 08:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #181
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

While we were in London I convinced the wife to let us spend a day and trek up to see the Evolve guys. We took the train up from London and meet Imran at the train station. We got a ride to the shop in his crazy E39 M5. The car sounded amazing and what little he stepped on the gas it pulled like a freight train. Would have loved to see what it would do unleashed.

We spent the morning at Evolve talking to Imran, Sal and Riz about cars, how the tune for their software for the M3 and how they test cars yada yada. We also talked to them about how they got into cars, their family, and how they started Evolve. It was very interesting to hear about their path to get Evolve where it is today and their backgrounds. If you ever get over to the UK, it is worth the trip to see the shop and meet the crew that does wonders for any performance car.

While we were at Evolve there was several customer cars there in for software tuning. One was an E46 M3 that had an aftermarket CSL airbox installed. This airbox was one of the 4 companies that make a replica box (can’t remember which one sorry). Riz and Sal spent the morning working on the E46 to resolve an install issue and load an Evolve power tune. The Replica CSL Airbox looked descent enough but it had the temp sensor to close to the motor and was getting heat soaked. Sal showed me and the customer the data maps and how he changes the files. The software is pretty cool as it displays data in a 3d model.

Here is the old shop. They just purchased the new shop which is in the same complex but is on the other side of the cul de sac and three times as large. It was a fun visit to Evolve and I got to know more about the guys and the shop that programs my car. Sal is definitely a hoot to talk to about his philosophy on cars. Imran is definitely the grounded one and Riz is the sarcastic tech. The combo works as evident in their products and I hope they continue to support the enthusiast’s community.

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #182
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I wanted to list all the parts that I have tried in my quest to make the car into what I envisioned. Some of these parts were a big step in the wrong direction while others definitely were worth doing. Once all the new parts are installed, I will make a master list of all the parts and part numbers.

UUC RaspX gen I
UUC Sway bars
Grouppe M Intake
Conforti Shark Injector
Evosport Headers
SuperSprint Race Cats
SuperSprint Gen I Headers
Vorstiner CSL roof with sun roof
Vorstiner CSL bumper With Fogs
OE 19 Rims
K&N Pannel Filter
Painted match reflectors
H&R Sport Springs
Koni Adjustable Shocks
Front Shock tower mount Swap
Powerchips software
UUC Sway bars (fitted and returned / Never used)

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #183
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

September 2013 I lead my annual drive to Lake Tahoe. Here are some of the images from the Lake Tahoe Drive. This is for those out there who think this is a garage queen, I think NOT. 255 miles and some serious bug death going on in the front as you will see in the last image.

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #184
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

After doing the Tahoe drive, I noticed the car was running good but not great. I started looking and talking to the gang on M3forums and we started the project to make the MAP sensor work to make it a true CSL setup. I ordered the parts needed from a fellow M3Forum member to be the first one to test out the setup.

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #185
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

October 30th the CSL door panels arrived.. They are a little rough but they are fixable thankfully. Seller did a great job packaging them and was honest about their condition. Next step is to have the scratches buffed out and place in my door frames which are in better shape. This will complete the full OE CSL look less the front and rear seats.

Last edited by m3dragon; 02-18-2018 at 08:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #186
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

August 2013 I was on a old Airforce Base for a photo shoot and took some pics of my own with the trusty cell phone. I love the location and need to make the time to go back and take better images using a good camera. For now these still look pretty good for a quick photo opp.

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #187
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Sorry for not sharing this sooner but I have been busy like most everyone out there. I have been working with terraphantm on making all the CSL function work on the codig side of things. We are 90% there other than needing to redo the H-bridge on the DME. However till he gets a chance to make a new DME we did get oil level to work on my car at least.

As it is the holiday season, I attended the 7th annual Rally 4 Kids event that EuroSunday hosts. This is a event fro Shriner's Hospital to help gather toys for the kids there. We had over 500 cars this year despite the 30 degree weather.

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #188
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dragon View Post
August 2013 I was on a old Airforce Base for a photo shoot and took some pics of my own with the trusty cell phone. I love the location and need to make the time to go back and take better images using a good camera. For now these still look pretty good for a quick photo opp.

I keep going back and forth between yellow or Verde Ithaca (Lambo lime green) BBK. Yellow looks so good with the grey though!

Just out of curiosity, and I know it's almost heresy to ask this when you have CSL intake, but have you ever considered going FI at any point during your ownership?
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #189
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I keep going back and forth between yellow or Verde Ithaca (Lambo lime green) BBK. Yellow looks so good with the grey though!

Just out of curiosity, and I know it's almost heresy to ask this when you have CSL intake, but have you ever considered going FI at any point during your ownership?
Go yellow but I am slightly bias.

I did not want to go FI as BMW is a NA car. I like to keep "in class" of the car I buy. Meaning if I buy a car that is NA I want to keep in NA as that is what it would be raced as. If I buy a FI car then same thing.

Cost to bang for buck is way less but this is the way I look at modifying. Same with buying the CSL parts I did. If I owned a CSL what parts would I have changed.

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #190
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Go yellow but I am slightly bias.

I did not want to go FI as BMW is a NA car. I like to keep "in class" of the car I buy. Meaning if I buy a car that is NA I want to keep in NA as that is what it would be raced as. If I buy a FI car then same thing.

Cost to bang for buck is way less but this is the way I look at modifying. Same with buying the CSL parts I did. If I owned a CSL what parts would I have changed.
Yea at this point, I'm just day dreaming about BBK and supercharger. The temptation to have 600hp+ is always there haha.

Also, have you ever considered adding another car, or are you completely happy pouring all your resources into making the M3 of your dreams? We are more or less on the same path (although you have a hell of a head start on yours). Thinking of either going all out with the M3 next, or adding a Lotus Elise (that type of car I guess)
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #191
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

If you go FI I would go evolve if it was my $$$. Their design does not look like a upside down turtle like ESS. Also I am not a fan of ess after ordering their "smg" software..

Funny you ask, I just recently found the next project car. In the process of getting it shipped to CA actually LOL.

I am almost done with my current M3 so the timing was right to get a new project car. Besides the new one on the way I have the 1M still to modify. As it is the daily driver it will be slow to mod until I get a new DD.

As for the new M3/M4 I like the looks but the issue I have is with the FI part. Having to clean out the intake every 35K is something I am not a fan of.

I like the new lotus but the biggest issue is, I have not seen a new one to see if I it yet LOL. Being 6'5 I don't exactly fit in most cars...

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #192
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
If you go FI I would go evolve if it was my $$$. Their design does not look like a upside down turtle like ESS. Also I am not a fan of ess after ordering their "smg" software..

Funny you ask, I just recently found the next project car. In the process of getting it shipped to CA actually LOL.

I am almost done with my current M3 so the timing was right to get a new project car. Besides the new one on the way I have the 1M still to modify. As it is the daily driver it will be slow to mod until I get a new DD.

As for the new M3/M4 I like the looks but the issue I have is with the FI part. Having to clean out the intake every 35K is something I am not a fan of.

I like the new lotus but the biggest issue is, I have not seen a new one to see if I it yet LOL. Being 6'5 I don't exactly fit in most cars...
Oh come on, don't leave us hanging. What's the new project?!

One of the huge reasons I went with the V8 is because I know they are somewhat easy to work on. I'm waiting to see how they are maintenance wise before I even consider them. But like you, I'm either close to done, or I commit to going all out, which will cost another $15k.

I'd be looking at more of an 05-06 Elise haha (I prefer the older headlights anyway, much less generic). Yea I don't think you'll fit at 6"5!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #193
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Side note: You might want to look at this post I made today for rod bearings.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...5#post15112765

For the new project only a few people are in the know and they are told to be silent. This is going to be a surprise for the BMW community HEHE.

Have you looked at doing what Turner did with the bore up, diff change and suspension? Just tossing it out there.

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #194
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Side note: You might want to look at this post I made today for rod bearings.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...5#post15112765

For the new project only a few people are in the know and they are told to be silent. This is going to be a surprise for the BMW community HEHE.

Have you looked at doing what Turner did with the bore up, diff change and suspension? Just tossing it out there.
Yep, have definitely considered them, but just waiting to see a few people put these in S65 first before I'm completely satisfied. Don't really want to crack open the engine until I have to
I will definitely do a full overhaul in a year or 2. Most likely I will ship it out to ACM for:
- rod bearings being preventatively changed. At this point, I'm sending oil to Blackstone
- Subframe and diff bushing
- SS brake lines
- Maybe used supercharger kit (I'm sure prices will fall when M3/4 available at dealers).

Anyway, don't want to trash your build thread with what I'm doing with my car. But I always check on your progress, sad that the car is almost done haha. I will absolutely check out the new project though, keep up the good work. Your build threads have kept me entertained for many lunch breaks
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #195
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

HAHA your not trashing it. Probably one of the only few people on this forum who have taken the time to read it as it is not a E9X which is the focus of this forum.

Glad it has been entertaining to say the least. Especially doing the carbon roof twice DOH!.

I have been slowly ordering the last parts I need to finish the car. So probably next year I can call it done and just enjoy the car LOL.

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #196
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
HAHA your not trashing it. Probably one of the only few people on this forum who have taken the time to read it as it is not a E9X which is the focus of this forum.

Glad it has been entertaining to say the least. Especially doing the carbon roof twice DOH!.

I have been slowly ordering the last parts I need to finish the car. So probably next year I can call it done and just enjoy the car LOL.
Oh I dunno about that. You have almost 17k views! Nothing to sneeze at for sure. Your build is what makes me want to upgrade my interior. The CF and suede parts just look so incredible.

Just for the hell of it, this is literally what I wrote in the beginning of my build thread:
"I will keep updating this thread throughout my ownership from start to finish... well there probably won't be a finish. In terms of mods, nothing too crazy. I've already replaced the front reflectors and have replica CF splitters on the way. I'm also going to the OEM exhaust mod (4 pipes version)."

Needless to say, that was utter BS on my part. The good news is that I made a bet with a friend that I would go from August until the end of the year without modding (maintenance doesn't count). I'm almost there, but the mod bug is definitely showing it's ugly face again!

How do you like the StopTech's compared to the OEM's? Not so much fade resistance, but initial bite?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 02:25 PM   #197
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
How do you like the StopTech's compared to the OEM's? Not so much fade resistance, but initial bite?
They work great with very little fade if any when pushing hard. The only thing I wish I did was go with slotted brake rotors. I will replace the cross drilled ones once they need replacing. Other than that love them.

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #198
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Received my used airbag module to hopefully resolve the airbag light notification. I tried the jumper trick and it did not work. I also tried having the airbags coded out and that did not work. Reason for the codding out not working is most likely because I have has the light on so long. $50 later let’s hope this fix the issue once I get it installed and try to code out the door airbags again.

Last edited by m3dragon; 02-18-2018 at 08:49 PM..
Appreciate 0