BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

04-06-2011, 07:42 AM   #1
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: In The Market For A New One

Thinking about M3 sedan, need some insights...

Hello Everyone,

I come from two x5 ownership experiences 4.4 and 4.8. I'm thinking of getting another (x50). Before I do I'm considering some alternatives. I'd love to get x5m but not in my budget. I like the stature, high ride and utility of x5. The new x3 I'm not sold on yet so I'm considering the m3 sedan. My wife has an x3 so we have the utility of an suv in the family. My driving is about 8,000 miles per year most of it is alone. I have one child so don't need a ton of room. So when I drive I want good looks, thrill, etc.

With this being said I'd love some insights and m3...

1) How is it in snow with appropriate tires? It appears like it has some type of traction control.

2) How is it in terms of comfort for long rides, daily driving and family use?

3) It appears like it has an automatic option with the double clutch trans.

4) It seems like mpg would be about the same as an x5 50i.

I appreciate any insights on any of these statements/questions. Thank you very much!
      04-06-2011, 07:46 AM   #2
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Go for the M3! I have an x5 and the e90 M3 (sedan) w/ 2 kids and love it! The only downside is fuel consumption, btwn the 4.8 x5 and the M I'm getting around 13 mpg btwn the 2. My wife now prefers
      04-06-2011, 07:48 AM   #3
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep

The M to the truck and my kids love on
      04-06-2011, 07:50 AM   #4
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIEZON View Post
Hello Everyone,

I come from two x5 ownership experiences 4.4 and 4.8. I'm thinking of getting another (x50). Before I do I'm considering some alternatives. I'd love to get x5m but not in my budget. I like the stature, high ride and utility of x5. The new x3 I'm not sold on yet so I'm considering the m3 sedan. My wife has an x3 so we have the utility of an suv in the family. My driving is about 8,000 miles per year most of it is alone. I have one child so don't need a ton of room. So when I drive I want good looks, thrill, etc.

1) How is it in snow with appropriate tires? It appears like it has some type of traction control.

for long rides it is perfect. The seats are super comfortable and with the sedan it seats 5 comfortably.
Yes DCT is sort of like an automatic. It has many different modes that range from full auto to full manual.
I wouldn't know about an x5 but I can tell you that it does burn gas.
I appreciate any insights on any of these statements/questions. Thank you very much!
see bold

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 07:50 AM   #5
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep

Ramps (damn phone). Great for road trips as well, though not as comfortable as the x5, which is to be expected, I love it and have never looked back, neither will you.
      04-06-2011, 08:15 AM   #6
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Quote:
Hello Everyone,

1. It's fine in snow, it's not a 4x4 but with appropriate winter tires (I used Michelin PA2s) so winter driving shouldn't be an issue and I live in NJ.

2. I recently moved so now I commute 95 miles each way twice a week. I don't arrive feeling beat up like some other sports cars would. We don't have kids yet but we never had an issue moving stuff or seating.

3. The DCT is great. A lifesaver in traffic

4. I get roughly 21-22MPG highway. In the city I averaged around 18.5MPG.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 08:32 AM   #7
RyuHayabusa
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 LMB M3

You should consider the X6 50i as well too since it now is offerring seating for 3, thought still cramped, but it's a nice compromise if you want a high vehicle. X5, X6 and M3 are all different vehicles and all depend on what your needs are. From a MPG perspective you actually get less on the X's than M, but you can get a tune that easily ups the hp/tq and will probably look at a SUV that will give you high 4's 0-60, it's impressive if you want a SAV.

The M3 is an entirely different beast, it's can be a docile GT or a weekend track toy. Though I love it, I feel it would have made more sense, if you want a track toy, to get a 5 series or SAV and get a lotus or P-car. The true benefit of the M3 is that it is a car that you can go grocery shopping with 5 and then drop everyone off and hit the track, as they say jack of all master of none.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #8
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

If the M3 was not offered in the sedan form, I would not have bought it. I needed to fit a baby seat in the back.

The MPG is reasonable to for a performance car. I was able to squeeze about 32 mpg on the highway with my 6MT equipped car.

The backseat room is reasonable, provided the people in the front aren't 6'5". I'm 5'10", and because I drive a manual, I have to jack my seat forward to drive. I fit 3 other adults comfortably in my car with no issues.

I drove my M3 in the snow this year. I didn't even have snow tires, I use all-season tires. I never once got stuck. The traction control keeps a tight lid on your throttle input in slick conditions. I never once felt like I was out of control. I went into a parking lot and demostrated the traction control to my g/f. With it on, you were able to reasonable get around and do donuts but with no drama, though it was not as spectacular as it would be in a all wheel drive car. With it off, the car basically wouldn't move and just spins its wheels.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #9
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

I own an M3 sedan and it's the best car I've ever owned.
It is the most versatile car in the world.

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 10:51 AM   #10
VonSwoopington
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 e90

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

1. If you get snow tires it shouldn't be that bad. Just drive carefully and you should be good.

2. While its no Caddy the ride honestly isn't that bad. Its pretty comfortable on long rides though speed bumps and potholes can be pretty nasty. Just drive in Comfort mode and you should be set.

3. DCT is the way to go (in my opinion). You can let the car drive for you and eat a hamburger or something. As soon as you are done, back to shifting with the paddles or the shifter. It's very engaging and I don't feel like I'm missing out on a 6mt.

4. The mpg is the worst part about this car but if that is an issue for you then don't get it. I do 50/50 city/highway driving and my average is 17mpg. I haven't even had a chance to push the car hard due to the bad weather we have been getting. The 16 gallon tank doesn't help either so you'll be visiting the gas stations more often.

I love the car though and don't feel like I've made the wrong decision.

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #11
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

The E90M3 is a completely different sort of car than what you are used to. Edgy, mechanical, feel the bumps, notchy. I like it, but I have a far more radical car so the E90M3 is like a luxury cruiser to me. Test drive the E90 M3 to make sure it is for you.

Coming from an E70 X5 4.8i (we had one of those for 3 years), you will find the difference dramatic. The new turbo V8 X5 50 is a pretty good hotrod. I never thought our 4.8i was very fast. Also consider a new 550i x-drive, since it also has the turbo V8 but weighs 1000 lbs less than the X5.

The E90M3 won't be anything like an AWD SUV in the snow -- it is OK with snow tires, but not exceptional since about the best you can do is 225/45/18 snows. That is not a particularly narrow or high aspect ratio tire such as would be ideal for snow use, and the ground clearance will always be limited.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 11:15 AM   #12
JusCruzin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 6MT M3

If you enjoy the driving experience of an SUV like the X5, I tend to doubt that you will like the M3. As others have said, the M3's main appeal is its versatility as a daily driver and track car. Compared to the X5, the M3 is going to feel a bit raw. I really like my M3, but I'm also someone who wouldn't want an SUV due to its weight, handling, performance.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #13
davem3fan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
I own an M3 sedan and it's the best car I've ever owned.
It is the most versatile car in the world.
+1

Dave Flogaus CCA #123862
11 E90 M3 Sedan DCT
94 E36 325is M-Tech (S50)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 12:44 PM   #14
Legion5
Major
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

It can do a few inches of snow no problem. Traction control plays into this capability but all cars have it, it's just set up so it can be reasonable in snow. Don't expect it to take on as much snow as an x5 though.

Quote:
It's one of the most comfortable cars you'll ever take a long ride, or daily drive in short of something built for comfort.

Quote:
Yes that's the automatic, it's an F1 style automatic gearbox.

Quote:
yep

You might also want to look into something like a used 911 or panamera it seems like you're a bit lost about the whole world of a car enthusiast and the problem with that is that the M3 is going to be raw as others have said, and that's something you have to enjoy.

Clean cars are happy cars!
CANON PHOTOGRAPHER
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #15
Navin323i
Europrojektz East
United_States
Rep
Drives: See my Sig

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

Based on what you've written here, specifically how you have an SUV in the family with the X3 and how you have only 1 child, have you considered the possibility of going with the E92 M3 Coupe?

I have 2 young kids, and recently met with an E92 M3 owner and I had absolutely no issues with fitting their child seats in the rear... you can see the pics in the link below and judge for yourself... surprisingly a number of members have thanked me for posting the pics with my kids in the rear... that way they can use that in their arguments to their wives to get the coupe, lol.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500638

Navin

BMW Individual Atlantis Metallic Twin Screw S/C'ed 5spd 2000 323i
SPONSORED BY: BBS | Toyo Tires | DPE | WheelSTO | Vorsteiner | European Auto Source | Bimmertools | GetBMWParts | Race Apeel
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 01:19 PM   #16
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikbmr View Post
Quote:
Hello Everyone,

[B]for long rides it is perfect. The seats are super comfortable and with the sedan it seats 5 comfortably.[\B]
[B]Yes DCT is sort of like an automatic. It has many different modes that range from full auto to full manual.[\B]
[B]I wouldn't know about an x5 but I can tell you that it does burn gas.[\B]
see bold
No, it seats 4 comfortably. The middle seating at the back is very uncomfortable on medium to long drives.
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 01:36 PM   #17
Chowster
E60_to_E90
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

It's an amazing car. Just get used visiting your favorite gas station attendant.

I'd take a look at a 550xdrive as well. Then it's a totally subjective choice on the balance between sport and luxury.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 01:47 PM   #18
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikbmr View Post
Quote:
Hello Everyone,

[B]for long rides it is perfect. The seats are super comfortable and with the sedan it seats 5 comfortably.[\B]
[B]Yes DCT is sort of like an automatic. It has many different modes that range from full auto to full manual.[\B]
[B]I wouldn't know about an x5 but I can tell you that it does burn gas.[\B]
see bold
No, it seats 4 comfortably. The middle seating at the back is very uncomfortable on medium to long drives.
Ive stuffed 5 people in there for extended amounts of time... None of them complained

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #19
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Must've had someone w/ JLo type of azz sitting there
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 02:45 PM   #20
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
Must've had someone w/ JLo type of azz sitting there

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 05:32 PM   #21
jeff4598
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C HS, DCT, much Dinan

Well sorta repeating most above but was fine in this terrible winter in central NJ threw a 50lb bag of salt in trunk just fort hat extra touch of traction but never even close to sliding. Trips seem 1/2 naw make that 1/3 as long in this car. How the heck do you guys get such great MPG??? I drive pretty mellow in D mode and I average 14.8 for 19k miles so far. Routine is 12 in city and at BEST 20 at 75mph on highway-and I raely rev past 5500?! Should I be concerned there is a problem?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 04:30 AM   #22
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: In The Market For A New One

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

Great, great insights! Thank you everyone for your time and feedback! Very helpful!