BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

Mporium BMW

07-05-2009, 01:47 AM   #1
hdpt00
Private
Rep
Drives: Mo-Ped

Buying sight unseen

Looking at getting an '08 e92... how safe is it to buy sight unseen? I got photos, no damage etc... what cautions should I take? Should I use some type of title escrow? Anything else if I'm buying a car 2,000 miles away? I don't really want to fly 5 hrs to check out a car if I don't have to.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 02:00 AM   #2
djMpower
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 SSII F82 ZCP

What city is it in? Maybe a local can get it checked out for you. Is it new/used? Have you seen the CarFax? There are way too many variables involved to be able to give you an informed answer.

Personally, I would say if you're going to be buying a car don't be lazy/cheap about the flight time/ticket cost. It can do no good, but it has the potential for much harm.
      07-05-2009, 02:17 AM   #3
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Guess I don't have to tell you it's not the best decision, but it can be safe. You have to be VERY careful though. For such a transaction to work, everything should be squeaky clean. I'd only buy from original owner, title has to be in his name, title's address must match his DL's, owner much accept payment to title holder (presumably him), and I'd pay a BMW dealer for an inspection, plus make the owner take title, and instruct SA to check both title and DL for identity of owner and vehicle. If everything checks out, and the owner gives you a good vibe, there shouldn't be any problems. And before making any payments, make sure you have scanned copies of title, DL, and a bill of sale.

Finally, if car was financed, I'd pay the financial institution directly, and instruct them to endorse the title and send it to you. Then pay owner any difference (if any).

One final suggestion. Why don't you start a thread on the appropriate regional forum and ask for help? Most members would be happy to check out the car and owner for you. Just to make sure both are real. You can offer gas money for the favor. I'd gladly do it if it was here . By the way, I'd start by telling us at least where in 'Earth' you're from . Good luck, and keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 05:39 AM   #4
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

um, can't you find one that's closer?
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #5
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by djMpower View Post
What city is it in? Maybe a local can get it checked out for you. Is it new/used? Have you seen the CarFax? There are way too many variables involved to be able to give you an informed answer.

Personally, I would say if you're going to be buying a car don't be lazy/cheap about the flight time/ticket cost. It can do no good, but it has the potential for much harm.
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 11:22 AM   #6
hdpt00
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderco10 View Post
um, can't you find one that's closer?
Hard to find an e92 AW, M-DCT with carbon fiber roof. I have only found 2 and one is priced WAY too high.

I asked in a regional forum if someone can check out the car for me. Now I need to get a carfax, is it worth the $30?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 02:49 PM   #7
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdpt00 View Post
Hard to find an e92 AW, M-DCT with carbon fiber roof. I have only found 2 and one is priced WAY too high.

I asked in a regional forum if someone can check out the car for me. Now I need to get a carfax, is it worth the $30?
I think that I would invest the $30.00, relative to the value of the car, although Carfax is not necessarily the "bible" for all the potential history on the car.
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #8
hdpt00
Private
Rep

I got the carfax and there is an 850 mile oil and lube change but no 1200 mile service recorded... how long do these things take to show on a carfax? If the othe records are correct the 1200 would have been within the last 2-3 weeks.
Appreciate 0