BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-15-2014, 10:17 PM   #23
templarklimek
templarklimek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' X6M, 12' R8 V10,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaehshim View Post
LOL....never heard of any car with exhaust mod making the car perform change night & day.
in fact, my cold air intake system mod gives me 85 whp gain
Its a FULL exhaust system replacement, not just mufflers. testpipes, custom x-pipe, 3inch all the way around and very free flowing mufflers as well.
test pipes by themselves make a 15HP difference or so by themselves.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 11:02 PM   #24
GotE46M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Few M cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaehshim View Post
LOL....never heard of any car with exhaust mod making the car perform change night & day.
in fact, my cold air intake system mod gives me 85 whp gain
Apparently you've never ridden in a S63 with catless dp, midpipe and section 3. Some people are easily getting close to 100hp over stock with a tune.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 11:27 PM   #25
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Reading comprehension fail.

He has an M6 and an M3.
+1.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 11:51 PM   #26
fitchesbass
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Haven't driven one yet - but I'm sure the new M3/M4 is probably a blast to drive. I personally could careless if the M4 is faster in a straight-line over the my E92. Each generation of M3/M4 has gotten a little bigger and a little more numb. OP mentioned the shifter "not being notchy like the E92". If the E92 is notchy you must not drive a lot of older sports car. LOL. I personally like the notchy feeling. I don't want my sports car to drive like a VW golf with light shifting and a girly clutch feel.

Styling-wise the M4 doesn't hit the mark for me. I was checking one out while my gf was buying an X3 this past week. The seats look like a racer-boy bucket and the front / rear clips look like a cartoon. I will say, that seems to be a divergent from the previous M3/M4 trend - E30, E36, E46, E92 all had such classy and strong features without being over the top. The M4 front and rear bumpers look goofy - like they tried way too hard. It doesn't look like timeless styling to me personally.

Styling wise not my taste - maybe it will grow on me. Driving wise I'm sure its a lot of fun - how could it not be?
E86 Z4M - Sold
E36 M3 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 11:54 PM   #27
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitchesbass View Post
Haven't driven one yet - but I'm sure the new M3/M4 is probably a blast to drive. I personally could careless if the M4 is faster in a straight-line over the my E92. Each generation of M3/M4 has gotten a little bigger and a little more numb. OP mentioned the shifter "not being notchy like the E92". If the E92 is notchy you must not drive a lot of older sports car. LOL. I personally like the notchy feeling. I don't want my sports car to drive like a VW golf with light shifting and a girly clutch feel.

Styling-wise the M4 doesn't hit the mark for me. I was checking one out while my gf was buying an X3 this past week. The seats look like a racer-boy bucket and the front / rear clips look like a cartoon. I will say, that seems to be a divergent from the previous M3/M4 trend - E30, E36, E46, E92 all had such classy and strong features without being over the top. The M4 front and rear bumpers look goofy - like they tried way too hard. It doesn't look like timeless styling to me personally.

Styling wise not my taste - maybe it will grow on me. Driving wise I'm sure its a lot of fun - how could it not be.
Did you happen to hear it?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 11:56 PM   #28
fitchesbass
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Did you happen to hear it?
Did I hear the M4 get started? Yes I did. It wasn't bad - but didn't impress me much either. Granted, it was low revs and idle what I heard in person.
E86 Z4M - Sold
E36 M3 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 12:09 AM   #29
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Hmm i had different impression. I was in underground storage spot and heard it start not being able to see what it was yet. My wife and I both said that sounds terrible. She actually said it sounded broken. I also heard one revving at a car show and about laughed my ass off.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 08:00 AM   #30
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

I felt the same way OP - I wasn't blown away and didn't come away from the drive thinking I had to have one. The chassis is very good and it grips like crazy, but I was not impressed by the motor. Sure it's fast and has lots of torque and all of that, but there is nothing special feeling about it. I've driven a lot of the F series chassis cars, M5, M6, 435i, M235i, M4 and M3 and they all feel pretty much the same to me. Turbo motors and all very fast cars, but I never felt like "holy shit I have to have one of these". I think my next car is going to be a 911.

It doesn't feel like an evolution of the E92 but more of a change of direction. I dunno, I'm not there yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 08:06 AM   #31
SPEED & TECH MOTORING
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 aw/fr M-THREE

honesty, i think you need to drive the car a bit harder. My friend drove his with 2 of us in the car and I was impressed. I had a dinan m3 previously and was blown away.

On second thoughts, your expectation may be based on different variables and you didn't like it for those reason. Totally understandable.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 08:19 AM   #32
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexter View Post
Tune is the key. Remember, that engine is detuned depending on which Mercedes it’s in. I have to agree exhaust or intake mods alone would never yield HP gains like that.
On a turbo car a straight, free flowing exhaust can make lots of power. Adding 30 whp is not unheard of
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 08:31 AM   #33
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

My first drive, I had a similar experience to what some of you have described here...underwhelmed. Be honest with your self and think about how you felt when you first test drove the stock E9X? I know I felt underwhelmed. It felt sluggish on the test drive. It wasn't until I hit the power button and ripped it till 8k rpms that I totally fell in love with it. Same thing happened here, I took the F80 on another test drive and I was very clear with the CA that I really wanted a proper long test drive. It totally changed my perspective on the car. It didn't sound half as bad as it did on my first test drive. Infact it was loud at WOT, louder than the E9X. Comparing it to another 6 cylinder M, My E46 M3 sounded like crap no matter what exhaust I tried on it. All aftermarket exhausts for that car sounded like fart cans. This is by far a huge improvement in sound over the previous generation 6 cylinders. Comparing it to V8 for sound makes no sense.

For the overall car, it is not a fair comparison between the stock F8X to our current modified E9X's. Comparing a stock car to a modified one is literally like comparing apples to oranges. I know I hated the stock exhaust sound for the E9X after I had experienced the Eisenmann Race, Meisterschaft and the Akra on it. I love the E9X for what it is. It has easily been the best M I have owned by leaps and bounds. So here is a short list what I liked better on the F8X and what I didn't compared to the E9X.

Exterior - I still like the E9X body style more. I can't seem to get over the sloping hood on the F8X. But the rear on the F8X looks way better.

Interior - F8X by miles. Only complaint on the F8X is no thigh extenders and adjustment for the bolsters.

Engine - This is tough one as they are totally different engines. Need more seat time to evaluate this one (see my last comment on driveability and that should address some of this)

DCT - Hands down F8X. I haven't driven the manual so don't know. I do know that I didn't like the manual on the E9X.

Exhaust - Can't compete with a V8, the same way the E9X V8 can't compete with the V10.

Handling - F8X. no doubt here. I took the F80 on very familiar back roads around my house and it handled every corner better than the E9X.

Everyday Street Use - This to me is the most important factor when considering what car I prefer and this is where the F8X separates itself. I could never enjoy the E9X unless I was between 5500 and 8k rpms and this is not easy to do on the street, especially while still trying to stay within the speed limit. Had to downshift multiple times just to get ahead of people. The F8X on the other hand is wicked fast from a stop, a roll or even crusing at 45 mph in the highest gear. I felt absolutely no need to downshift as this thing just goes. I absolutely loved the responsiveness of the engine. It is minblowing

So for those of you still not sold on the F8X, I would encourage you to drive it again and if you could, please drive it like you would your E9X. I know it's not always possible on a car that is being test driven but unless you do that, you really won't get a true feel for the car is all about and until then it is really not a fair comparison.

Cheers

My Amazing European Delivery Story

Last edited by ///M///; 09-16-2014 at 08:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 08:34 AM   #34
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEED & TECH MOTORING View Post
honesty, i think you need to drive the car a bit harder. My friend drove his with 2 of us in the car and I was impressed.
It's funny you say that, because as a passenger, I'm almost always impressed with a car I'm riding in. It almost has a roller-coaster like feeling since you don't know whats going to come next. However, when you get the chance to drive it yourself and can actually feel (or not feel) the car, sometimes I'm left with a totally different opinion. You start to realize how responsive the car is, how the steering communicates, etc. which is half the experience in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 08:42 AM   #35
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918 View Post
My first drive, I had a similar experience to what some of you have described here...underwhelmed. Be honest with your self and think about how you felt when you first test drove the stock E9X? I know I felt underwhelmed. It felt sluggish on the test drive. It wasn't until I hit the power button and ripped it till 8k rpms that I totally fell in love with it. Same thing happened here, I took the F80 on another test drive and I was very clear with the CA that I really wanted a proper long test drive. It totally changed my perspective on the car. It didn't sound half as bad as it did on my first test drive. Infact it was loud at WOT, louder than the E9X. Comparing it to another 6 cylinder M, My E46 M3 sounded like crap no matter what exhaust I tried on it. All aftermarket exhausts for that car sounded like fart cans. This is by far a huge improvement in sound over the previous generation 6 cylinders. Comparing it to V8 for sound makes no sense.

For the overall car, it is not a fair comparison between the stock F8X to our current modified E9X's. Comparing a stock car to a modified one is literally like comparing apples to oranges. I know I hated the stock exhaust sound for the E9X after I had experienced the Eisenmann Race, Meisterschaft and the Akra on it. I love the E9X for what it is. It has easily been the best M I have owned by leaps and bounds. So here is a short list what I liked better on the F8X and what I didn't compared to the E9X.

Exterior - I still like the E9X body style more. I can't seem to get over the sloping hood on the F8X. But the rear on the F8X looks way better.

Interior - F8X by miles. Only complaint on the F8X is no thigh extenders and adjustment for the bolsters.

Engine - This is tough one as they are totally different engines. Need more seat time to evaluate this one (see my last comment on driveability and that should address some of this)

DCT - Hands down F8X. I haven't driven the manual so don't know. I do know that I didn't like the manual on the E9X.

Exhaust - Can't compete with a V8, the same way the E9X V8 can't compete with the V10.

Handling - F8X. no doubt here. I took the F80 on very familiar back roads around my house and it handled every corner better than the E9X.

Everyday Street Use - This to me is the most important factor when considering what car I prefer and this is where the F8X separates itself. I could never enjoy the E9X unless I was between 5500 and 8k rpms and this is not easy to do on the street, especially while still trying to stay within the speed limit. Had to downshift multiple times just to get ahead of people. The F8X on the other hand is wicked fast from a stop, a roll or even crusing at 45 mph in the highest gear. I felt absolutely no need to downshift as this thing just goes. I absolutely loved the responsiveness of the engine. It is minblowing

So for those of you still not sold on the F8X, I would encourage you to drive it again and if you could, please drive it like you would your E9X. I know it's not always possible on a car that is being test driven but unless you do that, you really won't get a true feel for the car is all about and until then it is really not a fair comparison.

Cheers
I think you're right in that this car might be more streetable for some. For me, that's the thing I like about the S65 - you have to work for it a little. Keeping the car in the powerband is challenging and FUN!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 10:56 AM   #36
Rockapotomuses
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Agree with those who were underwhelmed until they drove the car with some enthusiasm.

I've had my F80 M3 for just a week now. I am completely honest and admit that the first few puts around the city felt like I was driving a luxury vehicle with a stiff suspension ... not exactly exhilarating. The sound, though a great tone, is not very loud. I wondered if this car would last me more than a couple years.

But then I drove it hard. Once you come off the line and your rear tires are barely able to stay beneath you, and holding the car straight takes an effort as you're suddenly thrust back at 120 mph, and you take a corner at 70, with just enough feel in the rear to be scared yet confident at the same time... as the car screams... you realize you're only in 3rd, then you realize what a weapon you're wielding.

You have to take these cars to the track. That's where they were born and that's where they want to be. City driving is pleasant enough but you're not going to get any thrills at low speeds. For fun in the city I would honestly rather have a scion FRS.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 11:06 AM   #37
Rockapotomuses
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexter View Post
That color is sweet. What is the name?

Attachment 1091725
thanks

yas marina blue
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 01:20 PM   #38
templarklimek
templarklimek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' X6M, 12' R8 V10,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918 View Post

Cheers
Spot on , thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 01:30 PM   #39
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by templarklimek View Post
I expected my M6 to be faster than M4 but not the S65 M3 to be or feel faster. But again, lighter M3 with full Bolt on's and test pipe was decidedly faster than M4. Of course the M4 when a tune/ bolt on's comes out will add much more HP I think.

BTW the M6 with exhaust mods is stupid fast, I'm doing the dinan tune soon that will bump it to 660hp. Keep it feeling new.
The Dinan "tune" is a piggyback that can be had for a fraction of the cost (like 1/5th) from other reputable mod companies. You're paying for Dinan's warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 01:45 PM   #40
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by templarklimek View Post
Again though the M4 with an ECU tune and other mods will be a killer no doubt.
The car will be a monster, no doubt, but I'm not thrilled with the graph lines the few initial mods have produced. They give great power gains, but really emphasize the turbo nature of the car, with a bigger dip at the end impelling you to shift earlier.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 02:12 PM   #41
SOM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: SO F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
This guy:
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...highlight=vbox

and this guy:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328679

Not sure how easy it is to do but it's been done.
First thread has some phone graphics data...who know what that is, NEXT!

Second looks legit with a time slip, I like it. Then I read the thread and guys pulled out his seats, had drag radials on and $10K or more in bolt on mods.

Appreciate 0